Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Tax dodging Richard Branson 'should lose knighthood'....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Alternatively, in real terms, and today's prices total subsidy up a third, but per journey down a third due to the massive increase in passengers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_of_...itish_Rail

Still massively off topic though Whistle
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #169795730th Aug 2016 5:50 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
If its called Virgin..

....then its on topic
Corby - Train Journey
Train Journey on a Virgin Train
Virgin Train - Sir Branston Pickle
Branson Pickle - tax exile
It has one common denominator Branston

having said that what about Apple & Ireland...
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #169796530th Aug 2016 7:15 am
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Rolling with laughter
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #169797830th Aug 2016 8:17 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

or Amazon, Boots, Cafe Nero, Cadbury, eBay, Ikea, Starbucks, Vodafone etc....

It's the same answer for all of them including Virgin:
If you don't like the way they pay tax, change the law and close the legal loopholes.

Of course, if we close all the tax loopholes, then the UK could make ourselves uncompetitive on a global scale. But even that won't bother large corporations very much. Either products we want to buy in the UK will get more expensive or they'll simply move their HQ's elsewhere.

Some people appear to think these companies have feelings! They're just companies... who's Boards are legally required to operate them in the most efficient way possible. There's a new buzz phrase of "corporate social responsibility" but really it's just another marketing tool. Getting all bitter and twisted about these companies and the amount of tax they pay is simply pointless... they don't care because they're not a person, just a corporate body! They won't leave the UK out of spite, they'll just locate to the most efficient location possible. No bad feelings.

Just change the rules to what you want and see what happens.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #169797930th Aug 2016 8:21 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mr.Tom wrote:
Fair point, open access TOC would be much better, I.e. Competition on a line, rather than a slice of a monopoly.

I am still not convinced they should be subsidised though... that goes back to the argument there are other methods of transport, perhaps some even in their infancy which would fill the void. The old free market allocation of capitol argument Thumbs Up

The issue is that to get real competition, you'd have to privatise the lot. Universally valid tickets would mostly have to go, and I think the guarentee of reaching your destination so long as you stick to the minimum change times would also be gone between TOCs. Through ticketing would likely not be available for many journeys and competition would be unlikely to reach high enough levels for TOCs to tackle overcrowding.

There are other methods of transport, but the railways are the best form of transport - efficient, safe, fast and accessible. We should help make them the transport of choice as often as possible by making them more useable; more space, frequent trains, more ticket offices and a non-restrictive turn up and go culture. Other forms of transport will benefit also - if more people use the train, there'll be fewer people on the roads and at airports - and the improvements to the economy would be had by all. Improving communications are what government is all about, so a fair case for subsidy IMO. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #169799930th Aug 2016 9:11 am
Lost for Words

Re: AAA.Happy.Disco1.fan

BLFarrar wrote:
Lost for Words wrote:

What you mean is, you'd rather decide how Mr Branston spends his money...

No not me society......i.e. the same rules being applied equally & fairly

There's the crux of the matter - society. Why should society decide? Why shouldn't individuals be able to decide what to do with their own money? Why shouldn't individuals use the gains of their own ability?

Society is just a word that people hide behind to justify demanding loads of other people's money - where's the cause? Where's the depth of reason? Ahh, yes, that other word they hide behind - equality. The reality is that it's no different to a gang of school bullies pinching people's lunch money...
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #169800430th Aug 2016 9:31 am
Mr.Tom

Lost for Words wrote:
Mr.Tom wrote:
Fair point, open access TOC would be much better, I.e. Competition on a line, rather than a slice of a monopoly.

I am still not convinced they should be subsidised though... that goes back to the argument there are other methods of transport, perhaps some even in their infancy which would fill the void. The old free market allocation of capitol argument Thumbs Up

The issue is that to get real competition, you'd have to privatise the lot. Universally valid tickets would mostly have to go, and I think the guarentee of reaching your destination so long as you stick to the minimum change times would also be gone between TOCs. Through ticketing would likely not be available for many journeys and competition would be unlikely to reach high enough levels for TOCs to tackle overcrowding.

There are other methods of transport, but the railways are the best form of transport - efficient, safe, fast and accessible. We should help make them the transport of choice as often as possible by making them more useable; more space, frequent trains, more ticket offices and a non-restrictive turn up and go culture. Other forms of transport will benefit also - if more people use the train, there'll be fewer people on the roads and at airports - and the improvements to the economy would be had by all. Improving communications are what government is all about, so a fair case for subsidy IMO. Thumbs Up

Other modes of transport, such as airlines manage cross ticketing and through journeys. Even with competition from each other on the same routes.

A framework needs providing that generates genuine competition, it would not prohibit firms working together to provide longer journeys etc. whilst competing in other areas.

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #169800830th Aug 2016 9:38 am
Lost for Words

Indeed, but they don't have the same constraints as the railways. You get on a plane and you go from A to B; you know exactly who is onboard. Get on a train and you have a choice of routes, all of which the companies bicker over, and you can't track where people go/which train they catch without restricting the tickets or causing huge delays and congestion. Undoubtedly, TOCs would work together to provide through services etc., but they would likely pair up to do so, rather than have genuinely open tickets.

The minute you start to organise these issues, you find yourself ironing out the competition you are trying to emphasise. Thumbs Up

Post #169801730th Aug 2016 10:03 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Many of us on here are self employed or own our own companies. I'm sure we all maximise our incomes and company strctures to be as tax efficient as possible and pay as little tax as we can. I certainly do, but I do it legally. How does that make us any different from Green or Branson, who haven't done anything illegal?
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #169802330th Aug 2016 10:19 am
nickprice

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Lost for Words wrote:
There's the crux of the matter - society. Why should society decide? Why shouldn't individuals be able to decide what to do with their own money? Why shouldn't individuals use the gains of their own ability?

Here's one reason why: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/...48471.html

"A selfish soldier, after all, is known as a coward, not a hero."

crews control wrote:
If you don't like the way they pay tax, change the law and close the legal loopholes.

Unfortunately the current tax system is so complicated for exactly this reason, loopholes are closed, exceptions are inserted and so it goes on. I believe that the crux of tax law should be based on what is meant by the "spirit" of the legislation and when it comes to applying these laws that should be interpreted by impartial people qualified to do so (tax judges if you will). If you don't want to play within the spirit of the rules then don't play. That's not to say that legitimate tax breaks shouldn't be available if it makes economic sense to do so, but they must be made on a case-by-case basis and the reasoning must be clear.

"I think a major reason why intellectuals tend to move towards collectivism is that the collectivist answer is a simple one. If there’s something wrong, pass a law and do something about it." - Milton Friedman Very Happy

Lost for Words wrote:
Society is just a word that people hide behind to justify demanding loads of other people's money - where's the cause? Where's the depth of reason? Ahh, yes, that other word they hide behind - equality. The reality is that it's no different to a gang of school bullies pinching people's lunch money...

And I've leave you with a quote from that lovely lady Ayn Rand, she seems to agree...

"The idea that 'the public interest' supersedes private interests and rights can have but one meaning: that the interests and rights of some individuals take precedence over the interests and rights of others." - Ayn Rand Rolling Eyes
 D3 SE with Hankook MT 275/65/R18, IID BT Tool, ProSpeed rock/tree sliders + compressor guard, RLD sump guard & winch tray + 13,000lb hidden winch, Gearbox guard, Frontrunner 80l aux tank with fuel gauge, V8 brake upgrade, Traxide USI-160 dual battery system, Frontrunner ladder, custom boot storage, Lazer LED driving lights, de-cat exhaust, Aftermarket Oro TPMS, i7 Mac Mini touch screen install (running Windows 10) mirrored on rear screens.  
Post #169803330th Aug 2016 11:07 am
crews control

Moo wrote:
How does that make us any different from Green or Branson, who haven't done anything illegal?

Because you haven't 'outed' Corbyn as a liar. Laughing
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #169803830th Aug 2016 11:13 am
crews control

nickprice wrote:
I believe that the crux of tax law should be based on what is meant by the "spirit" of the legislation and when it comes to applying these laws that should be interpreted by impartial people qualified to do so (tax judges if you will).

It's a nice idea, but not really workable in the real world. How do you interpret the "spirit" of the legislation? It might mean something different to you and me. And where do these impartial tax judges come from? Do they have any friends? I think it's much fairer to have solid rules that everyone has to play to.

This thread also seems to be confused between personal taxation and corporate taxation which can't possibly have the same rules. There's a difference between whether Richard Branson or his many Virgin brands have paid the right amount of UK tax.

A lot of these tax loopholes seem to involve living or locating your business in any foreign land that offers potential tax advantages. How do you stop this? If you make the tax situation in the UK less competitive, won't you make the situation worse?
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #169805030th Aug 2016 11:41 am
nickprice

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That's why I used the example of 'tax judges', in my mind it is no different to how the judicial system works (so the idea that people would be influenced by personal affiliations would be moot - conflict of interest and all that). In addition a rational would need to be given for an exemptions, demonstrating that they are in the public good (open to everyone to critique). How it is applied is fairly straightforward as it just a simplified version of our current tax laws with common sense applied over the top (by people who have demonstrated that have this quality - again in theory similar to the judicial system but specifically on applicability of tax regulations). The current system clearly isn't working, just look at the outrage it has caused. I don't know if this is really practical but it seems to be one way of avoid this constant cycle of plugging the holes only to create new ones.

Regarding the difference between personal and corporate taxation, I would see this method principally applying to corporate taxation.

Again, I'm not arguing against loopholes where it makes sense, but the key point is that it must be considered and must make sense for our economy (and be transparent - no secret deals), not a free ride.
 D3 SE with Hankook MT 275/65/R18, IID BT Tool, ProSpeed rock/tree sliders + compressor guard, RLD sump guard & winch tray + 13,000lb hidden winch, Gearbox guard, Frontrunner 80l aux tank with fuel gauge, V8 brake upgrade, Traxide USI-160 dual battery system, Frontrunner ladder, custom boot storage, Lazer LED driving lights, de-cat exhaust, Aftermarket Oro TPMS, i7 Mac Mini touch screen install (running Windows 10) mirrored on rear screens.  
Post #169805730th Aug 2016 11:51 am
crews control

Seems until we leave Europe, we're not able to have a more competitive tax system anyway!

This story is quite relevant to our discussion today...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37220799
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #169806430th Aug 2016 12:09 pm
Lost for Words

The fuss over tax is all because it is perceived in the wrong way. The government is our government. The tax is not our tax, but the government's tax. The fact it is our government's tax does not make it our tax. The differential should be made so as to represent the best spending practice. I put it to one that it is undoubtedly beneficial for those who find ways of avoiding tax to do so.

Anyone would think these people we're stealing food from the hands of starving children or something. Rolling Eyes

nickprice wrote:
Lost for Words wrote:

Here's one reason why: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/...48471.html

"A selfish soldier, after all, is known as a coward, not a hero."

Entirely correct principle - but it doesn't mean that. Government is a tool to do stuff for everyone's benefit where it is a better way to do so. It isn't always best to use government, and it is therefore unreasonable to expect the tax system to be completely bulletproof or to expect anybody to pay more tax than the law demands. The law is designed as a clear line for everyone's benefit - people can't pick and choose where to put it as suits. Everyone knows the score; everyone is protected from vexatious litigation.

Tax is there for policies that uphold the sum individual interests for mutual benefit. Perhaps the best way to put it is that tax is not for the public interest - tax is the public interest. Wink

(Indidently - did mathematicians really waste their time working out what can so easily be determined by simple logic instead? Laughing )

Quote:
crews control wrote:

Unfortunately the current tax system is so complicated for exactly this reason, loopholes are closed, exceptions are inserted and so it goes on. I believe that the crux of tax law should be based on what is meant by the "spirit" of the legislation and when it comes to applying these laws that should be interpreted by impartial people qualified to do so (tax judges if you will). If you don't want to play within the spirit of the rules then don't play. That's not to say that legitimate tax breaks shouldn't be available if it makes economic sense to do so, but they must be made on a case-by-case basis and the reasoning must be clear.

"I think a major reason why intellectuals tend to move towards collectivism is that the collectivist answer is a simple one. If there’s something wrong, pass a law and do something about it." - Milton Friedman Very Happy

As usual, Mr Friedman is spot on. The easy choice; to hell with everyone else, we shall shoot ourselves in the foot.

Quote:
Lost for Words wrote:

And I've leave you with a quote from that lovely lady Ayn Rand, she seems to agree...

"The idea that 'the public interest' supersedes private interests and rights can have but one meaning: that the interests and rights of some individuals take precedence over the interests and rights of others." - Ayn Rand Rolling Eyes

She is spot on, and her philosophy of Objectivism is one very close to my own. Thumbs Up

Post #169807230th Aug 2016 12:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >