Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Tax dodging Richard Branson 'should lose knighthood'....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Mr Tom

As the ad said...
"let the train take the strain"
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #169778029th Aug 2016 5:49 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Despite my political leanings I actually have no problem with nationalised services in principle, however I remain to be convinced that the public sector can deliver services on a value for money basis.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #169780229th Aug 2016 6:52 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan wrote:
This will mean that the State need np longer bother itself with providing the infrastructure, roads, rail, internet, Hospitals, prisons, water, gas, electricity. Nor the Police, military, fire service, etc.
That will all be done by private finance donated as decided by the people who can now afford to spend the money saved in tax.
It is THEY who will decide who gets what and at what cost - if at all - in a straight market economy. Naturally their RoC will be tax exempt.
Anti - Trust / Monopoly regulation will be abolished as the Market will resolve everything in such areas.
Democratically elected parliaments will wither, except for accepting the status quo defined by the market moguls, and on ceremonial occasions - for the tourists.

Sic Transit Gloria Bourgeois Democracy.

AAA Yawn

Not so. In a free market, services are determined by demand, not the charity of the rich. Rolling Eyes

Neither does it mean there isn't a role for government, democracy and public spending.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #169780429th Aug 2016 6:56 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

So playing devils advocate why don't we also subsidise airlines flying between major cities, as they, the car and rail are competing for business. A free market economy would remove subsidy from all and allow the most efficient to survive.

Obviously there is an historic subsidy which cannot be removed, e.g. Government spend on tracks, roads and airports which differs for each one.

Anyways, seems to have gone a bit off topic away from the original point.... Thumbs Up
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #169780529th Aug 2016 7:01 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

There is also evidence as to what happens when you let the state run all services and have a large unionised work force, see France.

Now, I believe unions serve a purpose in protecting some, but often feel they stretch too far. The state as a sole supplier in an area where competition can be had is not a good thing as competition leads to innovation, generally. There are places where the state can only be the sole supplier, like the police.

In my view, we should let the state focus on what it must provide, policing, etc. But where competition can be had then we should let the private sector do it.

A good example would be maintenance and repair of the roads. The highways agency is a commissioning agent and companies then compete for the work. This drives innovation in pricing, speed, working hours to reduce disruption, etc. It also means they don't have to retain a lot of permenant staff which is inefficient and that labour then actually has a greater economic benefit as it can also be used elsewhere.

Obviously we can all pick holes in bad projects, but my view is it's better like this than the state being the sole provider and employer.

Thumbs Up
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #169781129th Aug 2016 7:08 pm
Lost for Words

Re: AAA.Happy.Disco1.fan

BLFarrar wrote:
What you have written above sounds strangely similar to what Margeret Thatcher postulated...a free market economy.....feck the unions...in fact take them on & destroy what was known as manufacturing

What you have quoted from LT " he (Sir Branston in a Pickle) as he prefers to decide for himself who should benefit from his wealth" is priceless...
The ordinary joe on the street would like to decide who benefits.....but has like other to be taxed through PAYE or self assessed
I'd like to decide not to pay taxes too

What you mean is, you'd rather decide how Mr Branston spends his money...

Some people aren't in a position to legally avoid tax - bad luck for them. People pay the minimum tax they legally have to - they are entitled to do so if they feel the money is better not spent via government. It doesn't disappear - it will be spent somewhere else, where that person holds value, and then that person has a choice and so on. Ordinary Joe is exactly who decides where the money is spent. It really doesn't matter if a bit of money is leaked because it all goes back to the same place.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #169781229th Aug 2016 7:09 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

BLFarrar wrote:

Personally from a moral point of view, I don't agree with what you're proposing, but it's not too difficult. Start a company supplying your services and then Google "Dutch Sandwich". Laughing
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #169781329th Aug 2016 7:09 pm
Lost for Words

I think there is a benefit to be had from nationalising the railways. The current system is only a problem because of mismanagement by the DfT but I think a new viewpoint would be a much needed wake up call. The DfT has a very strange attitude where it has basically become the servant of the TOCs who are perpetually locked into an argument over the fare allocations, and consequantially, the passenger suffers their flexibility.

Open access TOCs should be at the heart of a privatised railway service, but look at what happens - they aren't allowed to be put in competition with the franchise holders, so they struggle to find a profitable service to run. Advance fares work well as there's genuine competition, but the walk up fares are so regulated to provide a cohesive service that the market is stagnant. TOCs are handed a little slice of monopoly by the DfT so it's almost as if we're running a nationalised system already - because nobody denies that we a national system is desirable.

IMO, the railways are not really profitable on their own. Money is being put into the system and taken straight back out - instead, we need to look upon them as a service. Put the money in and don't take it out; leave it and reap the benefits to the economy instead.

Thumbs Up

Post #169782529th Aug 2016 7:31 pm
Mr.Tom

Fair point, open access TOC would be much better, I.e. Competition on a line, rather than a slice of a monopoly.

I am still not convinced they should be subsidised though... that goes back to the argument there are other methods of transport, perhaps some even in their infancy which would fill the void. The old free market allocation of capitol argument Thumbs Up

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #169786329th Aug 2016 8:19 pm
Pelyma

England 

crews control wrote:
BLFarrar wrote:

Personally from a moral point of view, I don't agree with what you're proposing, but it's not too difficult. Start a company supplying your services and then Google "Dutch Sandwich". Laughing

Alternatively decide which tax you don't want to pay and I'm sure I can help you, completely legally and above board Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #169787229th Aug 2016 8:28 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I'll help anybody avoid all taxes. Just send me all your money. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #169788429th Aug 2016 8:45 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

Lost for Words wrote:

What you mean is, you'd rather decide how Mr Branston spends his money...

No not me society......i.e. the same rules being applied equally & fairly

Lost for Words wrote:
Some people aren't in a position to legally avoid tax - bad luck for them. People pay the minimum tax they legally have to - they are entitled to do so if they feel the money is better not spent via government. It doesn't disappear - it will be spent somewhere else, where that person holds value, and then that person has a choice and so on. Ordinary Joe is exactly who decides where the money is spent. It really doesn't matter if a bit of money is leaked because it all goes back to the same place.

maybe a yacht or two......e.g Greedy Green
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #169794229th Aug 2016 11:21 pm
AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan

Wales 

Mr.Tom wrote:
So the railways should be renationalised? Whilst fairs have gone up, government subsidy has gone down and they are carrying more passengers and freight than ever before.

I think that you might find that subsidies have TRIPLED (in real terms) since piratization.

Post #169794729th Aug 2016 11:47 pm
BLFarrar

.......so thats even worse

public money propping up an "entrepreneurs alternative" to a public utility
....nice work when you can get it
I wonder just how much loot Sir Branston Pickle has wormed out of the public purse
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #169795030th Aug 2016 12:08 am
Mr.Tom

AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan wrote:
Mr.Tom wrote:
So the railways should be renationalised? Whilst fairs have gone up, government subsidy has gone down and they are carrying more passengers and freight than ever before.

I think that you might find that subsidies have TRIPLED (in real terms) since piratization.

per passenger, gone down.
Last 3 years gone down 600m

http://orr.gov.uk/statistics/published-sta...nformation

Not looked back further, bet we can both spin the information. Per passenger is perhaps the most interesting
Thumbs Up

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #169795530th Aug 2016 5:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >