United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

grahamk wrote:
Sturgeon is just a horrible angry little female hound

Aye, appropriately named with a face for radio Thumbs Up
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #123658114th Feb 2014 9:53 am
2DISCO3ORNOT

Plastic surgeons all over the country begging for a shot at her Whistle

Post #123658314th Feb 2014 9:55 am
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

grahamk wrote:
why would it support it? It has no obligation to, and quite rightly so.

P.S. Dave...your Scottish typing accent is PISH. Laughing

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #123659914th Feb 2014 10:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Ive only really noticed during this its the Bank Of England, so surely the pound is Technically English currency extended to the Union because we are good country men and a friendly group? Rolling with laughter
 Mike  
Post #123660514th Feb 2014 11:08 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Ahh,but what nationality was the man that set up the Bank of England ? Whistle Wink
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #123661014th Feb 2014 11:17 am
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Probably Russian or German...maybe even Roman Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Still Bank Of England... Whistle
 Mike  
Post #123661314th Feb 2014 11:22 am
haroosh

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I am quite surprised that there is no love for independance on the forum here?
I am not in the Yes camp but I have always been receptive and open to both sides of the argument. Yesterday was probably a pretty defining moment in the campaign and although I am in full agreement with the No campaigns strategy of stating their position on the currency union at this point, the fact they had that worm Osborne deliver it up in Edinburgh does make me think twice for a very brief second Smile

Post #123663014th Feb 2014 11:41 am
Wee-Guy

Scotland 

euangibson wrote:
Ahh,but what nationality was the man that set up the Bank of England ? Whistle Wink

William Paterson......a Scot...... Rolling with laughter

Post #123663614th Feb 2014 12:06 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

euangibson wrote:

Ahh,but what nationality was the man that set up the Bank of Scotland? Whistle Wink
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #123680914th Feb 2014 5:54 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

That's why one institution is deep in the sh&t,and the other is the epitome of good judgement Laughing
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #123681614th Feb 2014 6:03 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

She could be the Scottish Angela Merkel....

Good luck with that....

PS: 1/5 "on" to stay in UK with Betfair....

And at 4/1 to leave if you all spoke to each other..... Idea Laughing

Post #123686514th Feb 2014 7:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

haroosh wrote:
I am quite surprised that there is no love for independance on the forum here?

Perhaps it's time for me to come back to my spiritual forum home and redress the balance then?

Good evening all. Lots of unfamiliar names about here, but I've been running a FFRR (without a single issue) for nearly five years now. The only thing I miss about the D3 is this forum.

So who wants a sensible debate then? Who is man enough to stop the nonsense about Scotland being a financial basket case in the face of FACTS. Who can be pragmatic enough to realise that the main-stream media (BBC, ALL national newspapers etc) are entirely biased in their reporting. Who has the courage to realise that Alex Salmond is not a one-man army, but in fact, has the clearest popular mandate to be head of a government of ANY politician in the UK today. Who has the sense to stop dragging the debate down to the level of insulting people becuase of their looks or their names.

There is a severe lack of informed debate across the whole of the UK. This referendum affects everybody in the UK, but there are a few myths which have to be dealt with first in order to partake in a sensible debate. The facts are:

Scotland is a net contributor to the UK economy, by quite a substantial margin. Only the SE England contributes more per capita to the UK coffers.

Scottish GDP per capita is >£4k higher than UK GDP per capita

WITHOUT OIL, Scottish GDP per capita is about equal UK GDP per capita

Scottish unemployment is LOWER than UK

Scotland is self-sufficient in Energy, Food, Water, Whisky(!), Textiles. UK is NOT.

If you can find holes in the assertions above - feel free to quote the source - the UK Govt figures (ISF) agree with me.

Now, once we have accepted that Scotland isn't the basket case Westminster want us to believe for their own ends, you begin to understand why the politicians don't want us to leave.

Starting to add up yet?

A conservative government (whose representatives in Scotland are outnumbered by the Giant Panda population here) wants to keep a loss-making, whinging, arm of the business in the face of a Management Buy Out? You would think they would be laughing all the way to the bank?

Anything but......

A conservative government, who would see a reduction in numbers of their Labour oposition MPs by 58 members if Scotland was cut-loose..... surely they would welcome this?

Anything but.........

They are a conservative led coalition who are funding the Better Together campaign FFS.

If these guys were Chairman and CEO of a company I had shares in, I'd be looking to oust them on the grounds of their insanity without waiting for an AGM.

But wait,........ perhaps they know something that you dont?

Damn right they do, and they are trying very hard to remain like the hard-ball plyers in the game when in fact they are $hitting themselves. This week, they have already fired both barrells at their feet. I posted this on Facebook but I'll add it here for the benefit of those who I don't know:

The UK is mortgaged to the hilt (£1.2 trillion). If Scotland were to go independent without retaining Sterling, the UK would loose 10% of its GDP, £1.5 trillion of oil reserves (which effectively guarantee that £1.2 trillion of borrowing), one of it's top earning exports (whisky) and a significant amount of its energy. As a result, the £ would be severely weakend, the UK's balance of payments would double overnight because all these new 'imports' would indeed be IMPORTS (whether from us or from abroad), interest rates would be on the climb and Greece would start to look very familiar (but without the sunshine).

Now, tell me again that all three parties are looking after YOUR interests by suggesting no continued currency union with an independent Scotland and that the Salmond bloke up in Scotland is just a nutter when he suggests it's in everyone's interests.....

For those who don't know me, I'm a 'tartan tory' who believed in much of what MaggieT did for the UK. I have worked for myself for longer than I've been employed. I run a successful (small) business whose trade is 90% across border(s). I pay my taxes (higher than most Scots earn), have NEVER had a penny from the state and I am NOT a member of the SNP.

Your typical dole scrounging, fag smoking, haggis munching, undecipherable Jock........ 8)
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #123709715th Feb 2014 12:37 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Have you got blue paint across your coupon John Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #123710415th Feb 2014 1:14 am
JMC

Scotland 

Saving that for independence day which is looking more and more sure as each day passes. The extaordinary events this week have caused a storm up here, make no mistake. Now raise the debate a number of notches! I reckon your 'friends' in Westminster who are put there by an electorate to look after their interests may be looking for new troughs to stick their snouts into revenue streams within the next year or so.
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #123710915th Feb 2014 1:29 am
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

JMC wrote:
So who wants a sensible debate then?

Yes please.

JMC wrote:
Who is man enough to stop the nonsense about Scotland being a financial basket case in the face of FACTS.

I don't really see anyone saying it will be a financial basket case. What is at issue is whether it will be better or worse off.
In FACT the biggest nonsense about financial basket cases appears to be your assertion that RUK will be the new Greece without Scotland.

JMC wrote:
Who can be pragmatic enough to realise that the main-stream media (BBC, ALL national newspapers etc) are entirely biased in their reporting.

All media has bias, though rarely, outside of say N.Korea 'entirely biased', but we are dealing with FACTS are we not? Wink

JMC wrote:
Who has the courage to realise that Alex Salmond is not a one-man army, but in fact, has the clearest popular mandate to be head of a government of ANY politician in the UK today.

And this has any relevance to this particular debate because?.....

JMC wrote:
...there are a few myths which have to be dealt with first in order to partake in a sensible debate. The facts are:

Scotland is a net contributor to the UK economy, by quite a substantial margin. Only the SE England contributes more per capita to the UK coffers.

Do you have a source for this?
From what I have seen the most current figures are:
Revenue per capital raised from Scotland (including N.Sea Oil&Gas) £11,079.
Spending per capita in Scotland £12,629.
That would mean that Scotland is a 'loss-maker for the UK'.
Of course, the whole of the UK currently makes a loss. Each are running a deficit.
The IFS project, however, that an independent Scotland will have a greater long-run deficit than RUK and that compared to the UK needing permanent tax increase or spending cuts of 0.8% of national income Scotland would require 4.1% (£6bn) in addition to those already tabled.

JMC wrote:
If you can find holes in the assertions above - feel free to quote the source - the UK Govt figures (ISF) agree with me.

It is one thing to issue some isolated data, quite another thing to put forward a coherent argument.
e.g. Unemployment is lower in Scotland than RUK, but 23.5% of employees in Scotland are in the Pubilc Sector compared to 18.3% in England. How affordable is that post-independence?
Although (electrical) power generation in Scotland is, on average, 20% higher than consumption much of it is intermittent so baseload power is needed from RUK.
Scotland can mitigate that by building, for instance, the pump-storage hydro scheme local to me.
This won't generate any meaningful net power but will cost £800m to build. That cost is shared among all UK consumers but why would an RUK citizen subsidise it post-independence? In fact, why would an RUK citizen pay the massive subsidies for foreign renewable power at all?

JMC wrote:
Now, once we have accepted that Scotland isn't the basket case Westminster want us to believe for their own ends, you begin to understand why the politicians don't want us to leave.

I don't think in the main they put it forward as a 'basket case' at all, but it is entirely possible that BOTH RUK AND Scotland may likely be worse off with independence. I do and therefore I will vote no.

JMC wrote:
They are a conservative led coalition who are funding the Better Together campaign FFS. If these guys were Chairman and CEO of a company I had shares in, I'd be looking to oust them on the grounds of their insanity without waiting for an AGM.

Of course, Conservative is an abbreviation of the party's title.
It is the "Conservative and Unionist Party.
If you had 'shares' in them wouldn't it seem odd for them to be campaigning against union?
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #123711515th Feb 2014 5:19 am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 20 of 361 <123 ... 192021 ... 359360361>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >