Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

D4 Bluetooth module in D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 57 of 81 <123 ... 565758 ... 798081>
Garyp

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

If replacing a D3 Bluetooth module with a D4 module is it plug and play or does it need enabling?

Post #126861512th Apr 2014 7:59 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It does not need enabling .. But the connector is different
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #126863912th Apr 2014 9:07 am
Garyp

That's great thank you.
Do you still supply the module and power cable, if so, how much are they?

Post #126872412th Apr 2014 12:54 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Enabling Bluetooth in CCF file.

I now have installed the Wiggs D4 module and his associated fibre optic cable kit but until I acquired the ability to modify the CCF file myself, I was stuck. My local dealer who is very good with normal text book repairs, shall we say, was unable to assist with regards to modifying the CCF; hence the recent purchase of the BlackBox Evolution and the need to learn new skills myself.

I have finally got my act together with regards to having the ability to modify the CCF file on my 2005 LR3 HSE. I think I now have the confidence, (not quite the knowledge however), to modify and upload a modified CCF file back into my 3. I was able to download from my 3, the existing CCF file and have it now open in the BlackBox CCF editor.

Under the Infotainment section of the CCF file, I see a number of lines related to the phone system and Bluetooth in particular. Hence this is the section where I think the CCF editing is required and nowhere else.

Under the Description header, there is a line called Bluetooth

Under Current Setting , it shows as Bluetooth enabled. This make sense I guess as I have always had the 0000 dealer installed Bluetooth system. As such, no editing of that line is required I presume?

A couple of lines further down, under the Description header, there is the line called Cellular Telephone.

For Current Setting, it now shows Cellular telephone not fitted. As such, this line I think is the one to be edited.

When I call up the Edit function, there are a number of choices from the drop down box.

Two of the choices seem reasonable:
Bluetooth cellular telephone module (without docking station) and
Bluetooth cellular telephone module (without docking station) with bluetooth telematics.

I do not know what bluetooth telematics are so I wondered which of the two I should be selecting? My 2005 LR3 HSE has the high end radio with the phone keypad and 6 disk CD player.

I also presume that once I have selected one of the above and successfully installed the modified CCF file, that no more editing of the CCF file should be required for the Bluetooth to function?
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #127132617th Apr 2014 4:38 pm
hgrimmett

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Neither, against all logic the option you want is the one "with docking station".
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
D4 '15 (64) Se Tech Indus Silver
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Audi TT Roadster 225 (52)
Tesla Model 3 LR (70) (gone)
Porsche Boxster '96 2.5 5spd project (P)
Mini R52 S (54)
BMW 330e eDrive MSport '16 (gone)
D3 '07 (56) XS TDV6 Buckingham Blue (gone) 

Post #127151317th Apr 2014 9:42 pm
bbyer

am I glad that I asked re "with docking station"

I am glad that I asked; with docking station is I suppose the last choice I would have tried and probably would have given up or bricked my CCF whatever bad happens even before I even got to thinking of trying with docking station.

Needless to say, I do not have a docking station in my 2005 LR3 and it never has had one.

The 0000 dealer installed LR Bluetooth setup has for the most part worked fairly well with my previous BlackBerry 9630 and now my BB 9900, but it does act up sometimes. The D4 Wiggs Bluetooth upgrade will however be more reliable as most reports indicate.

Thank you - and yes, typical Land Rover, not what you think it should be; I wonder if that fear is why I thought it best to ask first?
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #127153517th Apr 2014 10:07 pm
bbyer

D4 module Bluetooth is working well in 0000 install.

hgrimmett wrote:
Neither, against all logic the option you want is the one "with docking station".
I just wanted to say thank you and that my Wiggs D4 module is now working well in my LR3 with the previous 0000 bluetooth. I have my BlackBerry 9900 phone book scrolling out on the radio display; I sound better to those who are on the other end of a call and when someone rings me, I connect on the first attempt - pretty good I would say.

That is the first time I have had to work with fibre optic cable as well as modify a CCF so it appears that with the help of Wiggs and the people on the Forum, I have been successful.

Again, thank you.
Post #127465624th Apr 2014 10:52 pm
Garyp

Hi bbuyer, I'm in the same position I have 0000 Bluetooth. How much of the existing wiring did you need to disconnect / remove before adding in the d4 Bluetooth module?

Post #127471225th Apr 2014 6:29 am
bbyer

existing wiring partly disconnected rather than removed

You ask an interesting question. Briefly, I disconnected a portion of the existing 0000 wiring but not all of it. In short, I did not do everything exactly as perhaps it should have been done, however all seems to work.

The 0000 wiring kit back in 2005 consisted of a second microphone for the phone system, two modules, a rectangular one that I still have installed and a rounded end one, the Nokia bluetooth unit that I removed. Also provided was a pair of phone flippers to be mounted on the right side of the steering wheel and a related wiring harness with eight connectors on it.

I did not remove the harness in part because I did not wish to remove the left and right sides of the radio stack housing; the other reason being primarily I could not clearly figure out just where I would be connecting the A) already present microphone to once the harness was removed and B), also the steering wheel flipper buttons as it seemed that hardware was connected to the supplied harness - of that I could be wrong however.

Also I left connected the rectangular module that for me was located on the left side of the transmission hump area. I found that when it was disconnected, my radio did not function. As to if that was because I did not remove all, I am not certain but all seems good at the time of writing this and after about a week of the new system in operation.

I did remove the existing Nokia module that was located on the opposite side and the connector for same is now not connected to anything.

The new Wiggs D4 Bluetooth module is now located where the old one used to be, (on the right side of the transmission hump), but is connected to the 3 via a new Wiggs supplied dual optical cable and also a +12VDC hot and ground. The other end of the dual optical cable is plugged in near the NAV per the Wiggs supplied instructions.

Both the existing rectangular module and the new Wiggs D4 module are as before, hidden behind the panels to the left and right sides of the radio stack. The modules are affixed to the inside sides with Velcro.

There were also some other disconnect and reconnect ends to existing vehicle wiring harness ends up near the radio head but all is well explained in the provided Wiggs instructions.

For me, figuring it all out was a big deal however second time around, I now could probably do it in an hour. It was the first time I had ever worked with fibre optic - almost the first time I had seen red light come out the end of a cable - yes very red and bright so that new experience consumed more time just thinking. Also one is not to bend fibre optic cable sharply - gentle curves are required plus when disconnecting at the connectors, be careful - easy once you have done it, but totally new for me.

Even the old style wiring going into the rectangular module, I had trouble figuring out how to disconnect as I had to do it by feel, hence that took a week just to learn how to undo one connector by feel. I did know that force was not the solution, hence it was a show stopper for a week.

After the physical install was done, the next problem was to modify my CCF. Bottom line was I thought I had the tool to modify the CCF but was wrong; my dealer, well, to be kind, they are happy when they can get their T4 just to do an oil change reset. As such, I purchased a BlackBox Evolution. That took another week of learning and about ten minutes to modify the CCF, (in two places per the post above, and not as I had anticipated either so more learning).

It was with relief, after the flash, that my radio still worked and when I activated the Bluetooth search on my Blackberry 9900, it to my great surprise, it immediately found Land Rover Bluetooth asking to mate.

Then with a bit of fooling around, I discovered my BlackBerry phone book on the radio display; was able to dial numbers from the radio keypad; also my Land Rover voice recognition dialling with the flipper on the left still works - all quite amazing.

I have not quite put all back together yet as I am still waiting for some problem to show itself as a result of me leaving the rectangular module still in the circuit. It may be that my fear of not knowing where to connect the telephone mike and flipper buttons is foolish and self evident if I had been prepared to tear more of the radio stack area apart.

Bottom line, I recommend you do the mod.

People at the other end of my phone calls say I sound better. Also now when someone calls me, the Bluetooth connects as soon as I accept the call. Previously, usually first call in the morning, I could hear them but they could not hear me, hence a call back was required. This started when I upgraded my Blackberry from a 9630 to the 9900; with the older BlackBerry, the 0000 worked pretty good, but with the newer phone, connection was too uncertain, particularly for a business call.

This is a link to a set of files related to the Bluetooth install in my gallery.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=34462
Post #127523326th Apr 2014 12:53 am
Comc

Scotland 

Just my two cents worth.

Having done this modification last year, my experience was that I was able to fully remove both original modules.

The wiring removal was as easy as tracing back from each module to the back of the stereo unit.

I was a little unsure of which wiring to remove before starting the job, but honestly, once you have the stereo out it is fairly easy to see the redundant parts of the loom.
 Colin
Sunroof Drains Cleared
BAS EGR Blanking Kit Installed
Perm Live Aux "Link"
DVD Player Installed
LED sidelights, front indicators, side repeaters, number plate lights, interior lighting done
De-IrnBru'd Headlights
D4 Rear Lights
Belts Changed by Indy
Dr Tranny added to Gearbox
Aftermarket LR Bluetooth Kit removed and D4 Module installed
Suspension Compressor Dryer Overhaul
Front Fog Light Loom Repaired
Drivers Heated Seat Base Replaced

To do:
Remap 

Post #127606727th Apr 2014 11:10 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You need to remove both modules and the wiring loom if you go from the aftermarket kit and retrofit the factory kit .. If you don't you will have issues with the buttons not working correctly
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #127607927th Apr 2014 11:46 pm
bbyer

Snow is just about done for.

Comc wrote:
Just my two cents worth. Having done this modification last year, my experience was that I was able to fully remove both original modules. The wiring removal was as easy as tracing back from each module to the back of the stereo unit.

I was a little unsure of which wiring to remove before starting the job, but honestly, once you have the stereo out it is fairly easy to see the redundant parts of the loom.
I guess what you are saying is that the microphone cable from the roof disconnected somewhere around the radio head and then plugged into another connector that was obvious or that the mike cable never appeared as it connected somewhere other than into the removed harness and hence was not a concern.

I guess I best just get busy and remove the left and right side shroud surrounding the radio stack. I of course took the H section off plus lifted the centre console just to see where that one length of the harness went but did not actually remove or even try to shift the bigger shroud that covers where the two modules were velcroed.

There was a bit of snow last night but the days are warming up so I am more in the mood now to tear things apart. Thanks, and I will update this thread in a few days time as to my progress.
Post #127608328th Apr 2014 2:05 am
bbyer

disconnected all but cannot find phone connector

I have the 0000 harness effectively removed from my LR3 now. The only thing left is to disconnect the three conductors that were connected into C2115.

I have the microphone cable disconnected from the 0000 harness as well, but cannot find where the connector now plugs into.

I assume the mating connector is somewhere but do not see anything in the radio stack area. I wondered if I should be looking above the brake pedal somewhere?
Post #127656828th Apr 2014 11:50 pm
bbyer

The NAV mike is also the phone system mike?

I may have found the answer to my question re where to hook up the mike that came with the 0000 kit. Per below, something I found in a LR phone documentation pdf that I have in my gallery and had forgotten about, if I read it correctly, it says the single mike that is used by the RADIO / NAV voice guidance system is also used for the phone hands free which I assumes includes the Bluetooth as well.

This therefore means I just abandon the mike that came with the 0000 kit and the NAV / RADIO voice recognition mike takes over - am I correct?

A single microphone is used for hands-free telephone operation and for the voice recognition system. The microphone has an integrated noise suppression system for hands-free telephone use. The microphone is a standard directional type and is located in the front roof console.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=2
Post #127657829th Apr 2014 5:01 am
bbyer

Bluetooth working, Radio not.

The good news is I can voice dial out and calls come in so the Bluetooth is working and I hear people and they hear me.

The voice recognition flipper on the left side of the steering wheel works as do the two flippers on the right side so all the controls seem to be working fine.

The problem however is that at the moment, the radio does not play music, nor the CD player etc.

Sometimes upon engine startup, the radio will play for about 4 seconds and the frequency readout fades away and Phone Mode appear on the radio display and the radio sounds fade away to silence. More often, the system defaults to Phone Mode right at engine start rather than the radio playing for a few seconds.

I did a hard reset a couple of times today; also was driving around somewhat as sometimes it just takes time for all to get sorted. My Nanocom Evolution says I do not have any error codes present, almost strange I suppose.

I am suspicious that I do not have the CCF correctly modified. As such, I went thru the most current version and as below are listed the items I think are relevant, and comments on a couple where there may be more logical alternatives and hence may be the problem.

Audio Amplifier Fitted: AUD4 and that is indicated to be the choice on 29% of the vehicles. 52% show AUD2C, but I have the HSE so perhaps AUD4 is correct.

Bluetooth: Bluetooth enabled and that is 96% so probably OK.

Cellular Telephone: Cellular Telephone docking station, with bluetooth and that is 48%. I do not have the docking station but the only other choice that perhaps makes sense is Bluetooth cellular telephone module (without docking station) with bluetooth telematics, but that is 0% and was suggested in a previous post as not to use.

Cellular Telephone Voice Language: UK English and that shows as 94%.

Multi Media Module (HLDF) Manufacturer Mode: Denso mode and that shows as 41%; the other choice is Land Rover mode at 59% so perhaps changing that makes sense.

Steering Wheel Controls: 1 Resistive Ladder and that shows as 81%; the 2 Resistive Ladder option shows as 0% so that suggest the 1 is correct.

Voice Control: Fitted with voice control (hosted via the multi-media module) and that shows as 37%. Fitted with voice control (hoisted via the cellular telephone module) shows as 19% so I wondered what the D4 module is regarded as the Multi Media module, or the Cellular Telephone module?

All of the 0000 harness has been removed so none of it remains any longer.

I figure I have the fibre optic connector order correct; original green goes into the back of the radio, (as before); new blue goes into the NAV, and red end to the D4 module. The blue that was in the NAV is inserted into the female end of the new fibre optic cable.

There is 12VDC power to the D4 module as when it is de powered, the voice recognition and bluetooth cease to function. I assume the fibre optic cable is OK as I again lose the voice recognition and bluetooth when it is disconnected.

As such, I am suspicious of the CCF file - that I have something set wrong within it.
Post #12777421st May 2014 1:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 57 of 81 <123 ... 565758 ... 798081>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >