Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Scottish independence
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 5 of 361 <123 456 ... 359360361>
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

A.J.M wrote:
If it does go ahead, i shall be moving away. I know 13 other people who will also be doing that.

The important question is: Would England have me?
I need to follow you around to keep paying my mortgage Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #122505227th Jan 2014 4:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #122505427th Jan 2014 4:41 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
A.J.M wrote:
If it does go ahead, i shall be moving away. I know 13 other people who will also be doing that.

You can come and stay at my house Whistle
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #122506227th Jan 2014 4:52 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I cross the Border probably 6-7 times a week.......my passport is going to fill up quickly Shocked
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #122506427th Jan 2014 4:54 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
ruben wrote:
Shocked Shocked

From the coverage here Spain is fighting tooth & nail to stop Scotland breaking away because it doesn't want Catalonia doing the same.

Catalonia is not the same ... today Catalonia has more autonomy than it has and will never have Scotland ... the problem is a problem invented by Catalan nationalists in this crisis times in Spain to justify their own existence. ..
at the time, the same thing .... The Basque problem is not looked at all to the issue of Northern Ireland ... Spain and UK are different countries ... and our problems are differents too..
Catalans .... for me, can vote for independence and if they get it then be an independent country .... but Spanish independent country ... and will never stop being this is the true .... not if I have explained correctly ...

Spain are formed by many old kingdoms ...like many countries in Europe.... I am from Asturias .... ... which is the oldest kingdom of Spain before Spain was Spain... Asturias was the only kingdom that faced the Muslim empire and not let him settle here... around the year 700...the others didn´t ... and what today? ... I'm not Asturian nationalist ... I'm not a Spanish nationalist either ...this country is not UK... there is no possible comparison ... and the rest is wasted time .....

sorry for my bad English Embarassed
 lost in translation!
DISCOVERY 3 SE man. TDV6 2006, my true love!
DEFENDER 2 SE D I6 MHEV 2024, other live. 

Post #122506627th Jan 2014 4:55 pm
A.J.M

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey wrote:
A.J.M wrote:

I've already said. I'm nearly done with you. Get a new cash cow! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

You'll be heartbroken to hear Dave and Stephen wouldn't let me take the D3 onto Drumclog, so your Voodoo doll of my car failed you... Wink Razz

Anyway, Kev's needing work done to his, get your finger out as his is getting to the stage mine was at... Mr. Green Whistle
 In loving memory of FA54WSK.

Rest well old friend, your work is done. 

Post #122509027th Jan 2014 5:44 pm
KenR

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

How come that every time anyone tries to explain the facts, the SNP calls it scaremongering.
A couple of things they refuse to acknowledge
- by their own figures approx 30,000 civil servants working in pensions, MOD and tax are paid for by Westminster, being generous and saying that Scotland would probably need 2000/3000 that leaves 25,000+ jobs for the north of England or Wales and 25,000+ unemployed in Scotland
- the Royal Navy has never built fighting ships (as opposed to RFA ships) outside the UK. So no frigates in 2016 As Portsmouth is not due to finally close until December what odds on it reopening?
- anyone know of a state owned bank that has its headquarters in a foreign country? Perhaps RBS staff should get themselves on the books of Leeds estate agents

Post #122509327th Jan 2014 5:48 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Quote:

I've already said. I'm nearly done with you. Get a new cash cow! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

You'll be heartbroken to hear Dave and Stephen wouldn't let me take the D3 onto Drumclog, so your Voodoo doll of my car failed you... Wink Razz

Anyway, Kev's needing work done to his, get your finger out as his is getting to the stage mine was at... Mr. Green Whistle

Going to give him the good news on Wednesday...

As for Dave and Stephen, your labour rate has just doubled to make up for my lost revenue Twisted Evil Laughing [/quote]
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #122514927th Jan 2014 6:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

To follow on from Kens point, that's 5000 jobs in ship building disappearing plus the 5000 at coulport and Faslane as he kicks Trident and nuclear out. The mod has a big pensions place in Glasgow, also a few thousand jobs, all in one small area, along with the local services that they support.

Alan, fourteen...........
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #122515327th Jan 2014 6:50 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

England, Scotland, Wales and Nrth Ireland are not countries - they are states within the UK.

Scotland need to remember that in my opinion... we are all better together, but if you think there are more people living in the midlands than Scotland, it puts it into perspective.

I think there should be a UK parliament, with England, Wales and Scotland having some form of state administration and then Local Authorities - 1 tier, no district/borough or parish councils.
 Mike  
Post #122519127th Jan 2014 7:30 pm
Simonstarski

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If Scotland does gain it's independence, I'll make sure I'm standing at the border, to wave them good luck.

I missed the Titanic setting sail, so I'm not missing this. Whistle
 Narpy Grill, tinted windows, Smooth leather wheel (TLO Group buy), ACM fitted (thanks TLO), Rear door loom and Row 2 & 3 audio switch upgrade, RRS 20" wheel change, 285 Cooper LTZ's Sat Nav Mod (until I get a Faultmate upgrade), Front & Rear lamp guards. 4x4 screen now switched on - Woody32, Follow me home reverse lights - woody32, Auto release EPB - Woody32. Off Road Navigation - Woody32. Remap + EGR's switched off. Full chassis clean and Waxoyl.  
Post #122553028th Jan 2014 12:30 am
Sleepyrascal

Scotland 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

SOme interesting points about MOD and public sector employment. I hadnt read about that but i'll go look into it.

It's not something I never consider with Aberdeen having an unemployment rate of 0.5%. Even the worst affected area of Scotland only reaches around 4% unemployment. 25,000 people unemployed woudlnt have a huge affect (i dont think) and with the massive skills shortage in our other industries I think a bit of retrainign would see that 25,000 reduce quite dramatically.

England and Nireland have a far worse picture, birmingham is up near the 11% range and Middlesbrough is around the 9% mark.

However if the oil price slumped significantly there would be a lot of people suffering due to the employment nature of oil and gas. Lots of contractors earning £150,000+ and paying little income tax on it for relatively straght forward jobs. That said it would be a problem for the UK also (employment wise) because there are a huge amount of travellers, notably from Newcastle areas, Wales and places like teeside and Wigan filling roles from the bottom to the top of the industry.

Still on the fence.

Post #122563928th Jan 2014 10:08 am
A.J.M

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

As ravenscraig shows, people won't always retrain, or move to new areas so you will create sink holes where the heart of a community has been torn out.

Plus, the ship building and Faslane are good steady employers.

The main issue is, we won't get into Europe as countries will vote against it.
So we could leave the UK, but still be on the UK pound, but the BOE doesn't have to consider Scotland when it changed interest rates.

Does anyone really think a split would be a peaceful thing?
Anyone on here who's been divorced will know, it's not a easy thing to do and will get messy.

If it doesn't go ahead, I shall also wave it off. From England or overseas.
 In loving memory of FA54WSK.

Rest well old friend, your work is done. 

Post #122567928th Jan 2014 11:21 am
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

For a slightly different perspective:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/25922560

Slightly Londoncentric but still raises some interesting points....

And is this what we would end up with on our currency and stamps?:

Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #122571328th Jan 2014 12:19 pm
Wee-Guy

Scotland 

What amuses me most about the whole Independence thing is how for years Conservative ministers having been telling anyone who will listen what a burden Scotland has been to the rest of the UK, how we take far more than we put into the pot.......but now when we are considering Independence Cameron and the rest are pulling out all the stops to get us to stay part of the union. You would think Cameron and his cronies would be the first to vote YES! Mr. Green

Post #122571628th Jan 2014 12:27 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 5 of 361 <123 456 ... 359360361>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >