Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Scottish independence
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 25 of 361 <123 ... 242526 ... 359360361>
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The silly tax on business transactions is stupid.

Most people know Scottish business activity is subsidised by the rest of major business uk activity. Morrisons have said that with other retailers, also look at logistics.

All that needs to happen is Scottish based companies move to England, maybe the north brining more jobs etc.

Also a divorce or independence, means Scotland will have to take their fair share of the uks debt
 Mike  
Post #123850118th Feb 2014 1:29 am
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

JMC wrote:
He also said that the BoE would make it work and was very pragmatic about the whole thing

He also said that for it to work Scotland would need to pool something like £30bn of annual spending with RUK and that considerable fiscal and political union would be necessary. He also, explicitly, said it would entail a loss of sovereignty. That is a fact btw.

JMC wrote:
whilst Barclays Chief Executive Antony Jenkins says the bank "can make it work" if Scotland votes for independence.

Of course he can make it work. 2 of his 3 biggest competitors would likely face much higher costs of capital making them less competitive. If he couldn't make that work I'd demand a new CEO!

JMC wrote:
Once again, we are NOT VOTING FOR/AGAINST ALEX SALMOND

Perhaps you'd be so kind as to say who else is putting forward (albeit fantasy) which currency will be used post-independence?
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #123850218th Feb 2014 1:34 am
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

mse wrote:
All that needs to happen is Scottish based companies move to England, maybe the north brining more jobs etc.

Quite likely some would go to much further South in England, Portsmouth to be specific. The UK has never had warships built in a foreign country since WW2. Another 'FACT' Wink
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #123850418th Feb 2014 1:46 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

[quote=

For (hopefully) the last time, we are not voting for or against the SNP. Rolling Eyes

Salmond is trying to make this a vote against Westminster and the Torries. Calling the exchange costs 'George's' tax' is just silly. Of course industry will adjust to a yes vote but at what cost?

Salmond, Sturgeon and Swinney have bullied this through. They're the ones creating uncertainty for Scotland and rUK. They're the one using their interpretation of past events and history to garner support form the 'down trodden and beleaguered Scots'. The fact that this is being passionately debated in rUK suggests that we want Scotland to be part of the UK and for the people of Scotland to understand the facts and not the rhetoric.

Salmond is making this a vote for him and the SNP vs the Torries and Westminster. Give him facts and he becomes an ostrich and just buries his head in the sand, hoping that by ignoring reality, it will go away.

Post #123851018th Feb 2014 2:43 am
Dave T

England 

Is everyone not just getting totally fed up with all this. Truth is NOBODY knows just what will happen, even though the SNP seem to think they can tell the rest of Europe what they will do for Scotland.

There's only one way to find out how Scotland will survive as an Independant and thats a Yes vote, but are you really willing to risk everything on that? I, for one, am not and won't be hanging around to find out, if it is voted for.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #123852318th Feb 2014 7:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grahamk

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Lets put it like this

http://newsthump.com/2014/02/17/alex-salmo...member-of/
 3 Flash Indicators
Clock on Dash
GVIF & Reverse Camera
D4 Bluetooth
EGR's Blanked 

Post #123855918th Feb 2014 9:32 am
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

This is a Joke right?

Come on... I mean... Are we really expected to believe wee Eck..........

Goes to a Gym Whistle
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #123856018th Feb 2014 9:38 am
grahamk

Laughing
 3 Flash Indicators
Clock on Dash
GVIF & Reverse Camera
D4 Bluetooth
EGR's Blanked 

Post #123856518th Feb 2014 10:07 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

He might go for the same reason I do. Whistle Whistle

The views. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Post #123857418th Feb 2014 10:25 am
grahamk

Thumbs Up
 3 Flash Indicators
Clock on Dash
GVIF & Reverse Camera
D4 Bluetooth
EGR's Blanked 

Post #123857618th Feb 2014 10:29 am
JMC

Scotland 

Dave T wrote:
Is everyone not just getting totally fed up with all this.

People can switch off if they wish. I had been fed-up with Eastenders and X-Factor for a long time before I realised that I could (in the words of "Why Don't You") switch off the television set and go, do something less boring instead. Whistle
Dave T wrote:
Truth is NOBODY knows just what will happen, even though the SNP seem to think they can tell the rest of Europe what they will do for Scotland.

Now THERE is the truth of the matter. There are 'Known knowns......there are known unknowns'. I suspect that life will go on..... The sun will still rise and set, the rain will still come and people will live and die. Unless you listen to the Better Together nonsense where the sun disappears, it never stops raining and everyone just dies!
Dave T wrote:
I, for one, am not and won't be hanging around to find out, if it is voted for.

This is the interesting (questionable?) point for me. Given your location, does that mean Eric Smith will be shutting down if you leave? What if, two years down the line you find England has started to crumble a bit? What if the truth about the conservatives love of Scotland is revealed and the London economy has imploded?

Will you still be leaving a more socially just, emerging country, one where we look after people instead of spending 3x more per head than EU average on weapons?

It is in everyone's interests that we all get along - not only with our immediate neighbours but also with the rest of our EU/worldwide friends.

One last thing - to those talking about kiddies leaving home but still wanting mummy to wash clothes. Do you not see the irony in your tone - This infantises the Scottish people. Those who say we are like a divorcee wanting access to the bank account, this is entirely wrong. If you want us to share in the debt, then we need to be using the same currency. It's no good packing us off to use the groat or the bawbee if you want us to help pay your Sterling debt. How could we?
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #123859718th Feb 2014 11:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That sounds familiar: 'you can't have my ball if I can't bat first' translates to 'we won't take our debt if we can't use your pound'

Scottish debt is Scottish debt. If' you're serious about independence and standing on your own then you first have to take responsibility for what is yours. Fairs fair. The pound is a currency that is backed by financial institutions, market credibility, and a whole infrastructure that has created the trust in it . Its not an 'asset' to be shared and Scotland has no rights over its use accept in a currency union which isn't going to happen.

This whole debate is being led by emotion, political ideology / dogma, hope and wishes but not facts.

I want to keep the Union because I think we are all better together and I hope the Scots look at the facts and not the rhetoric.

Post #123860918th Feb 2014 11:34 am
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
JMC wrote:

Your point is? Confused

My point is he's a two faced lying Censored Thumbs Up Wink

Hey DG we are on the same side at last Laughing
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #123861718th Feb 2014 12:06 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Moo wrote:
'you can't have my ball if I can't bat first' translates to 'we won't take our debt if we can't use your pound'

No it doesn't. Rolling Eyes We (Scotland) don't have any debt because we don't exist yet. That's like saying that your unborn child will take a share in your mortgage!! Show me any gilts or bonds that have 'Scotland' written on them. There is a legitimate case for suggesting that we could be liable for historical UK debt which has been built-up with a small amount of Scottish expenditure share (like warships, aircraft etc)

Moo wrote:
Scottish debt is Scottish debt.

See above!

Moo wrote:
If' you're serious about independence and standing on your own then you first have to take responsibility for what is yours. Fairs fair.

Agreed! Nobody in the Yes camp has suggested that we don't take a fair share. It is Westminster only who has suggested the contrary.

Moo wrote:
The pound is a currency that is backed by financial institutions, market credibility, and a whole infrastructure that has created the trust in it . Its not an 'asset' to be shared and Scotland has no rights over its use accept in a currency union which isn't going to happen.

Really? It's not an asset in terms of a piece of hardware but Scotland definitely has some right to it, as it IS Scotland's currency too. As stated previously, if we don't use Sterling, we can't pay any debt share.
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #123862318th Feb 2014 12:22 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

JMC wrote:
It's no good packing us off to use the groat or the bawbee if you want us to help pay your Sterling debt. How could we?

Just a technicality .....
How may Bawbees to a Groat ? or is it the other way around ?
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #123862418th Feb 2014 12:31 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 25 of 361 <123 ... 242526 ... 359360361>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >