Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Fitting radio remote buttons to base
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 11 <123 45 ... 91011>
drivesafe

Australia 

caverD3 wrote:
what is the reason (justification) for the increase?

None was given but I think it’s called greed.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #7345827th Jul 2006 1:23 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Just fitted the radio button module to my base-7 car, piece of cake if you follow the pictorial instructions at the start of this thread!

Also took the opportunity to fit a leather clad steering wheel while I was at it as my car came with a horrible plastic one! Equally easy to do and an absolute bargain, it was only around £60 from Yeovil LR, even Nick couldn't believe how cheap it was. A worthwhile upgrade for anyone else with the basic wheel!

Now to the Cruise Control, the wiring is in for the buttons, I wonder if it can be enabled by the dealer?????????
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #982882nd Nov 2006 12:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kevin

United Kingdom 

Mine was fitted by the dealer fee of charge in May 2005 : Very Happy First and only time they have ever done anything for free Wink They forgott to bill me when doing a load of warrantee work and I forgot to remind them Confused

They also enabled the setting menu, (it took them three days to figure out how to get this to work and had to add the seat memory module under the drivers seat which is not normaly present on the Base Model) but this only works when the radio is turned on. Neutral

Unfortunately the settings menu does not do very much on the Base model, even less now that the Pre Heat and Pre Cool functions have been removed during the veichle enhancement program. Crying or Very sad

As for the cruise control, my dealer told me that it could be fitted as an aftersales item when I ordered the car in February 2005. Once I had parted with my cash and talken delivery I was informed that they had NEVER told me that and that it was not possible to do. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
 Kevin

BAS TUNE

Faultmate MSV-2 MULTI VEHICLE 

Post #984792nd Nov 2006 11:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baldrick

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Kevin,

any idea how they enabled the settings menu? Did they do it by plugging in a computer or by using the buttons on the car?

Thanks
 2007 MY Irish spec S+ TDV6  
Post #992426th Nov 2006 6:09 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

WHat settings menu are you discussing? What settings does it enable you to control?

I have a Base model, and have fitted the volume controls, and also have the cruise control on the steering wheel....

Post #992476th Nov 2006 6:23 pm
Baldrick

See owners manual. You can change from MPH to KM, seat memory manipulation if fitted. Not mach now that I've checked.

Fitted switch module tonight. FYI even though the parts catalogue only shows the one P/N, the 07 MY has a different colour horn button - brushed steel as opposed to grey, but this can be swapped over with only a cross head (philips) screw driver Very Happy
Post #993547th Nov 2006 1:05 am
nwoods

Baldrick wrote:
See owners manual. You can change from MPH to KM, seat memory manipulation if fitted. Not mach now that I've checked.

Fitted switch module tonight. FYI even though the parts catalogue only shows the one P/N, the 07 MY has a different colour horn button - brushed steel as opposed to grey, but this can be swapped over with only a cross head (philips) screw driver Very Happy

Sorry for being so slow witted, but I still don't understand what settings you are talking about? Where does MPH or KM come into effect? There is no digital display that indicates these speeds. If you are refering to settnig the cruise control, then it's simply set to wherever the speed indicator on the analog dial indicates when you press the Set button, right?

Post #993647th Nov 2006 2:01 am
Baldrick

on the UK/ european RHD models you can change the average speed, consumption data from mph/ galons to kh and litres.
Post #994357th Nov 2006 11:33 am
nwoods

Ah! My Base model does not have any sort of trip computer or message center, thus my confusion.

Post #995137th Nov 2006 4:03 pm
thehazards

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just took me 5 mins to fit one of these to my base model UK supplied TDV6 7 seater. I was a bit confused from the instructions about how to release the airbag unit using the coat hanger tool, so here's clarification. You need to have the hook pointing towards you and you hook it under the steel rod on the airbag unit, which is visible in the photos at the start of this topic. You then pull the tool in the direction of out of the hole, to pull the steel rod sideways to allow it to release from an outwardly pointing hook inside the wheel. Then do the same the other side.

Doesn't matter if you dont undo the tork screws until after removal of the airbag as they only hold the r/h button assembly.

I did not disconnect the battery but took care when handling the airbag unit(don't think the crash sensor is in the steering wheel anyway). I didn't need to use the tool to refit the airbag unit: I just pushed hard.

All cd and radio functions worked as expected.

Post #10280418th Nov 2006 2:24 pm
DiscoHead

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Asked my local dealer to do this for me. They said it couldn't be done and I'd have to buy a whole new steering wheel. I told them that a number of people on this forum had done it. They said ok we'll check it out. They then came back and said they can't do it....

can't or won't....... Evil or Very Mad

Post #10400222nd Nov 2006 10:57 pm
Baldrick

I think you can take that as a WON'T.

DIY. It is very easy. Only ardish part is releasing the airbag if you haven't seen the way it clips in - and you only get to see this when its out! Follow the instructions and photos on the forum and you'll be fine.
Post #10536228th Nov 2006 2:22 pm
DiscoHead

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yeah, I've ordered the module from the very nice man at Yeovil (along with some side protection strips).

When I get it I'll have a bash at fitting it.

If you all hear a large BANG, that'll be the airbag blowing up in my face.... Shocked

Post #10538028th Nov 2006 3:41 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Airbag is fine, I changed the steering wheel on my base car to a leather one for the higher models which meant actually disconnecting the airbag completely. The safest way is to let the car 'go to sleep' for 2-3 mins after ign. off then I disconnected the battery and let the car stand for 30 minutes, then with the battery disconnected I 'shorted' the 2 leads on the car together to ensure no residual current is left in the system. (This method is the way LR do it in the workshop). However to fit the buttons you don't need to unplug the airbag module so as long as the ignition is off and the keys are out it's fine.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #10538328th Nov 2006 4:01 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DiscoHead wrote 'Yeah, I've ordered the module from the very nice man at Yeovil (along with some side protection strips).'

I have also been contemplating both of these improvements ( module and side protection strips) can I ask what they would cost from Nick, and p&p cost for UK, Thanks. Wink

Post #10547928th Nov 2006 10:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 11 <123 45 ... 91011>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >