Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 36 <123 ... 141516 ... 343536>
Dale82

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 3

i think i can see my problem now!!!

as u look at the module from the front of the car back words and apply the brake the threaded bar only moves 5-10mm the lefth hand side (white box side) winds all the way in. then screaches

im guess both should wind in the same distance???

is this a case of altering the shoes??

Post #150227615th Jul 2015 9:17 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Video clip from earlier on in the thread showing module working

http://www.group-k.co/landrover/video/disco3epbmodule.MP4

Post #150373419th Jul 2015 1:53 pm
Dale82

That's a spot on video. Mine wasn't doing that!!!
My cable at the drum end had come undone some how. Re attached it and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for all your help in this topic.
Now just got a few other jobs I need to sort! Corroded Brake likes.

Post #150378019th Jul 2015 4:38 pm
aman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch

Thanks for your description and your advice

Can I just ask, how did the white plastic part unclip from the left hand side of the brass rod to begin with?
Is just pushing them together going to make them stay joined when they have already separated once before?
Isn't it likely they will separate again and the brass rod will keep going all the way to the right?
Surely there must be a lot of tension when the brake is operational, which is why the brass rod was pulled away from the white box?
Im just guessing all of this.....
(im guessing this is how it failed in the first place?)

Disco_Mikey wrote:
How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch

Had a few of these in lately from other garages, all with condemned EPB modules...

All modules failed to unjam themselves using the diagnostic machine. All these modules were successfully unjammed manually, and all to date are still working, with no issues Thumbs Up
If your module sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcV6vCnib9o , Read on!

From what I can gather, the main issue stems from poorly adjusted shoes, or the lever arm on the shoes have been seized, the motor has wound the threaded rod to its full extent of travel, and jammed itself. It then will not release, and the emergency release cable has to be pulled, and will not relatch itself...

This guide is not a guaranteed fix, but every one so far has been successfully repaired. The module will re-jam again, if the underlying issue is not resolved, so it is always worth removing the discs and inspecting the condition of the shoes

Anyway, locate EPB module above rear diff. Also a good time to inspect the front-rear brake pipes, as this is where they rust, as you can see from the picture Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Remove 8 T20 screws, and prise cover off the front of the module (only 7 in this picture) The cover is well glued on, and requires perseverance, and patience to remove:

Click image to enlarge

This is what you will be confronted with:

Click image to enlarge

The silver part in the middle is the motor, which turns gears inside the white plastic housing, which turns a (what looks like) Brass rod, and tightens and releases the cables. The small white plastic item at the lower left pulls the drivers side cable, and when the emergency cable is pulled, it unlatches itself from the metal part to the left of the large white plastic housing, which is in turn attached to the passenger side cable.

As you can see from the picture, the brass rod has fully extended, and jammed, and the small white plastic box it not latched to the other cable

The brass rod needs to be turned downwards (looking from the passenger side (on a UK car), it would be turned anti-clockwise) to unjam it, and unwind it. Once unjammed, it can be wound back using a diagnostic computer, or manually using a small lever or screwdriver. This picture is approx half way:

Click image to enlarge

Here it is almost fully unwound. You can clearly see the brass rod unwound on the threaded rod:

Click image to enlarge

Once you are happy you have unwond it enough, push the 2 side of the cables together to relatch. Compare the metal parts to the right hand side of the small white plastic box between this picture and the next:

Click image to enlarge

All done:

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

Now, put the EPB shoes back together, discs on and adjust as normal. Operate the EPB switch, apply and release a few times to check for correct operation. Once happy, re-adjust shoes again to ensure the adjustment is OK. Once you are happy the EPB functions correctly, clean as much of the old silicone off the EPB module and cover as possible, reseal with some silicone sealer, and refit the screws.

All being well, you will now have a fully functioning EPB module, and saved yourself close on £500 for a replacement module, and another few hundred quid in labour Thumbs Up

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #150552923rd Jul 2015 12:19 am
Daireesr40

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

How do you get the brass bar to turn as mine seems to be jammed Question

Post #151397010th Aug 2015 3:08 pm
Happy Cabbage

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
EPB unjam

When doing mine I removed the spare wheel and the bracket holding the epb module. I then spun epb module 180 ' so front is at back for easier access. Cut a bit of 4 X 2 timber and jam it between the epb module and the sloping floor in front of it. With EPB securely jammed with the wood get a decent long flat bladed screwdriver and locate in the splines of the brass rod. One or 2 decent belts of the screwdriver with a hammer it should free off. It has for me twice but I got nowwhere without jamming the epb in place.

Best of luck

Post #151399410th Aug 2015 3:55 pm
Daireesr40

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks Happy Cabbage, will give it a try. Thumbs Up

Post #151399510th Aug 2015 3:59 pm
tul214

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Looking for advice please.....my EPB locked on after a screech. I pulled the emergency cable to free them and today have followed this guide.

Stripped the discs down and one of the pins had snapped. Replaced with new shoe retaining pins and clips and rebuilt/adjusted.

Managed to get into the EPB module, brass pin was across to the right. I have threaded it back to the left and reattached the two cables but then when i pull the park brake the two parts threaded together for a few seconds and then a loud screech from the module. The two threaded parts look equal?

Is the EPB module goosed?

Mark

Post #151871922nd Aug 2015 4:37 pm
geoff.

England 

did u strip the shoes down completely Question

Post #151872822nd Aug 2015 4:49 pm
tul214

Not really Embarassed

Just had a think.....if the module screeches ON, shoud the shoes be adjusted to turn or be locked on?

Post #151873722nd Aug 2015 5:02 pm
Happy Cabbage

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hi,

Totally agree with Geoff. I would go for a complete strip down of the park brake shoes. Make sure everything is cleaned thoroughly moves freely. On mine the hinge on the activation arm that pulls the shoe on had seized when I was getting the screech.

Follow Bodsy's Bible for setting up the EPB and you can go far wrong.

Post #151880322nd Aug 2015 7:13 pm
urhunden

Sweden 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

When pulling the emergency cable, is it necesary to strip the module to get it right again? Or is it worth trying something else before taking everything apart ???
It always worked fine before. Think I made something wrong when operating the EPB.

Post #151889522nd Aug 2015 11:01 pm
tul214

Happy Cabbage wrote:
Hi,

Totally agree with Geoff. I would go for a complete strip down of the park brake shoes. Make sure everything is cleaned thoroughly moves freely. On mine the hinge on the activation arm that pulls the shoe on had seized when I was getting the screech.

Follow Bodsy's Bible for setting up the EPB and you can go far wrong.

Had another look at it this morning and it was obvious that the hand brake was ON.

I managed to release the EPB by pressing the button down whilst turning the ignition off and then re-built and adjusted the shoes again. (that big spring is a ba5tard isn't it!).

Put the disc back on and adjusted as per 'the Bible' and all is good again Bow down

Many thanks to all for this and the other guides in this forum Thumbs Up

Post #151906923rd Aug 2015 2:30 pm
mickd250

England 

Stripped mine today and ujammed it, only problem is when I'm lifting Park button up to apply break inside the modual just spins for aprox 10seconds only one ways if it is slackening the cables I can not get it to Pl the cables tight, any help would be much appreciated

Post #15399865th Oct 2015 3:39 pm
Dale82

Dale82 wrote:
i think i can see my problem now!!!

as u look at the module from the front of the car back words and apply the brake the threaded bar only moves 5-10mm the lefth hand side (white box side) winds all the way in. then screaches

im guess both should wind in the same distance???

is this a case of altering the shoes??

I had this problem it took me a while to figure it out. My cable had come Unlatched from the brake lever arm in the drum.

Post #15400455th Oct 2015 6:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 15 of 36 <123 ... 141516 ... 343536>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >