Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 36 <123 ... 151617 ... 343536>
mickd250

England 

Got it sorted, the end of the cable came out of the brass rod, and was just spinning. Think I owe disco micky a drink just saved me best part of a grand, thankyou very much

Post #15400875th Oct 2015 7:25 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I out of necesssity had to do a modification to how the EPB module is mounted ..... It certainly is an improvement on the original LR specn IMHO and as I am sure in the future I will need to access the module to do an unjam by opening up the module access willbe a lot easier from the rear of the vehicle .
I will post pics later in the week Thumbs Up

Post #15401485th Oct 2015 8:55 pm
kayble

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hello,

05 D3 TDV6 S Manual - 105k miles. EPB module jammed outside a house I was viewing (bit embarrassing). pulled emergency release cable under gearstick surround to get underway and also removed FL8 fuse to prevent further EPB attempted movement/damage.

Spent forthcoming 3 days on my back under the vehicle getting to the EPB module. Torx screw heads were v.corroded - ended up having to dremel one off - replaced them all with new screws.

My unit was thoroughly jammed - so had to do what an earlier post suggested, and removed the electric motor & gearbox assy - pulling it forward just enough to get grips on the brass bar in order to unjam.

Before reactivating the EPB I took both rear discs off, gave everything a clean/lube, and then put new discs/pads on and adjusted the epb on both sides. After re-installing the fuse and operating the EPB, followed by further adjustment, the unit now works smoothly again.

As soon as I can get new EPB shoes & fitting kit, I'll replace the parking brake components for new - suspect epb shoes are original and on the limit of permissible wear.

Quick question for learned forum members: What is the function of EPB service mode? After having unjammed my unit and rebuilt the braking assemblies on both sides of the car, I performed further adjustment by releasing EPB using the switch, leaving the key in the IGN and removing FL8 fuse so as to prevent the ebb from inadvertently reactivating - is that the same thing?

Post #154792820th Oct 2015 6:20 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yep, that's what the service mode is for. For when Your servicing the rear brakes Thumbs Up

Post #154794020th Oct 2015 6:47 pm
mickd250

England 

I had to rip my bracket of as somebody else had a go at getting it or and rounded the bolts, I'm over the moon with this information provided. First time my hand break has worked time I have owned it, next question is is getting the Amber parking break light coming on, could this mean I need to adjust them again or is there some thing els I need to do

Post #154821021st Oct 2015 9:03 am
kayble

Mickd, I found the same thing - someone had attempted to remove the EPB mounting bracket, I suspect in order to get to the EPB module from within the spare wheel well, which would be a much more convenient/comfortable experience in my opinion.

I found that they hadsheared the head of one bolt, another was partially loosened but roudned off, 2 on the othe side of the bracked not touched - meaning I had to take the option of getting to EPB from underneath the rear diff - downright awkard but not impossible.

I suspect if I wanted to get the bracket off, I'd have to ground the remaining bolt heads off - but then how have you put the bracket back in place?

Post #154824121st Oct 2015 10:20 am
kayble

tayaste wrote:
Yep, that's what the service mode is for. For when Your servicing the rear brakes Thumbs Up

Thanks - just so I've understood then, there's no difference between EPB service mode and releasing the EPB on the switch and removing FL8 fuse whilst you work?

Post #154824321st Oct 2015 10:22 am
mickd250

England 

I literally had to keep bending and snapped it of, it's just resting back inplace at the moment with a big zip tie over it, I'm getting a new bracket to go on but will only be held down with 2 bolts, it is was a piece of cake accessing it from the spare wheel well I did stop to try and work from front side but gave up and went back to the back

Post #154836221st Oct 2015 2:23 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had similar experiences witn the mounting bracket so set about re configuring how it attaches to the vehicle ..... factored a new bracket which no longer attaches to the chassis the LR way . I have always accessed the modue from the rear spare well as frankly its a doddle to work on , I have had to do mine several times Crying or Very sad over a few years so ready reliable access essential which includes releaseing the damn mounting bracket for the EPB module .

I will try to take pics and post tomorrow

Thumbs Up

Post #154905322nd Oct 2015 8:59 pm
kayble

Thanks - interested in seeing your solution; but wondering why you had to unjam yours a number of times over a couple of years - is the vehicle used in offroad conditions that could gum up EPB mechanism inside the drums?

Post #154913722nd Oct 2015 10:38 pm
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

So doing this today in the wet. It talks about resealing after the fix. Is there any point t when there is a hole in cover?

Thanks.

Simon
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #15580038th Nov 2015 2:50 pm
SWR

Also presume the module shouldn't be just sitting on its break and move easily? Shocked

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #15580098th Nov 2015 2:56 pm
kayble

Look closely at the OP's images - it looks like you're missing a cover to that hole in the screw on cover for the EPB module.

The EPB should not be loose on the bracket - it's secured to it by 2x bolt threads on flexible mounts that go through the bracket and have nuts that tighten the module to the bracket. The bottom of the module has plastic 'feet' that sit in holes on the bracket as well - so get the feet in place on the bracket - and you should then be able to manipulate the bolt threads in to place on the back of the mounting bracket (easily accessed from spare wheel well with wheel removed).

Post #15581738th Nov 2015 6:56 pm
SWR

Thanks Kayble.

Looks like the module not being attached may save a job when it is removed and replaced. All freed off and re-latched but still not working. I still have a lost coms fault. Which when cleared comes straight back.

Any more ideas where to start tracing this?

Mods:

Post #15584179th Nov 2015 8:26 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

What diagnostic tool are you using, firstly, make sure it is capable of communicating with the EPB module IID, as per your sig Embarassed

If so, make sure you can actually communicate with the EPB, and report any fault codes

If there is no power going to the module, you won't be able to communicate, but the other modules will all report "lost comms with EPB"

Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #15584339th Nov 2015 9:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 16 of 36 <123 ... 151617 ... 343536>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >