Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Suspension Compressor Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 20 <123 ... 111213 ... 181920>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The air suspension on the D3 has proved remarkably robust. There have been issues with compressor failures and valve blocks. Failure of bags is very rare.
If your suspension is dropping a valve block is the most likely cause.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #79093729th Apr 2011 2:34 am
Namlandy

Namibia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I will go for the air, get better ride on gravel roads. I will do the lines for a back up. Where can I get a air line and valve block layout? I also look for a scetch off the shock and airbag layout, how to remove and replace shocks.
Thanx again

Post #79111529th Apr 2011 5:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Disco3 search is the source for all the info.

You are fortunate in that the guys on Disco3 really do know how to tear the D3 apart and better yet, put it back together better than ever. To find out things like how to remove the shocks, you call up the Search link at the top and then a page will appear that you type in something like--- +remove +air +springs ---words such as those and no ---. The + tells the search engine to look for those words together. If nothing good comes up, (or too much), well you change the words a bit and try again. I tired those words and 7 matches came up, but I am not certain any of the matches were what you are looking for. It is a bit of a tedious process, but better than paying a dealer - also sometimes I take the instructions I find to the dealer; not to annoy him, but to help them as they do not know everything either.

I think you are making the correct choice as to keeping the air. Once you get to understand how it works, and install enough bypass systems, you will not be walking, plus it is the air system that makes the 3 unique in the 4x4 world. For me, the primary problem has been with corrosion of the wiring to and from the sensors and block valves. That was a problem with the 2005 model year and maybe 2006, but LR did get that sorted out. Also where there are wiring problems, LR created what are called overlay kits. These are sections of wiring to replace the areas subject to corrosion, hence not all the wiring has to be replaced, just sections - annoying, but doable.

For 6mm air line, you are fortunate in that you live in a metric area. Big trucks like Mann, Volvo, Iveco, etc use the 6mm for their air brakes and the like; also 6mm metric air brake fittings, so if you go to a heavy truck repair place, you will find both the air line and suitable fittings. This is not so easy here in Canada as most air line and fittings are 1/4", close but ...

Also go into my gallery under the FasKit section; also the Broken Air Compressor file, Fuse 35P file, and the Schrader Valve Air Tank Install. I have a fair bit of data in the Gallery related to my search for fittings and air line. The Schrader tank air in fitting is easy and probably the best single mod there; I can thank CaverD3 for that idea. You can install it assuming you have a pre 2007 D3. On the newer 3's, Land Rover removed the threaded bung. Metric is still black art stuff here so I had to do a lot of looking to find the parts I needed. The link below is from within one of my gallery files and shows the air system layout.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0names.doc
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #79113329th Apr 2011 6:10 pm
Namlandy

The best is to do it yourself, I already work on my Disco a lot off times. Installed a blanking kit on EGR, open turbo, dealer said turbo was done, deside to look myself, only loose plug and pipe. I also done the lifting links for higher ride hight. So I want to learn to fix my Disco any place. Also order a Hawk eye unit to do fault finding.
Every bit off help is apreciated, like you said, I think we can learn the dealers.

Regards

Post #79121529th Apr 2011 11:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bbyer

Just about have to be able to at least diagnose the problem.

Namlandy wrote:
The best is to do it yourself, I already work on my Disco a lot off times. Installed a blanking kit on EGR, open turbo, dealer said turbo was done, decide to look myself, only loose plug and pipe. I also done the lifting links for higher ride hight. So I want to learn to fix my Disco any place. Also order a Hawk eye unit to do fault finding.
Every bit off help is appreciated, like you said, I think we can learn the dealers.Regards
Yes, having a good piece of diagnostic equipment to look into the D3's electronics is very valuable, particularly if one does not live on an Island close to Solihull.

I am not familiar with the HawkEye unit but I did find a link to it on the Brit Car website. http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=101307 They call it an ODB2 code reader, but I think it can do a bit more than reset the common OBD codes. The unit I do have some knowledge of and that a lot of the guys on the Disco3 forum actually have is the Faultmate. https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/ It is an interesting product in that with the full load MSV-2, one gets access to the BlackBox website that contains Land Rovers latest software fixes and updates. These are the updates that fix the previous updates; the ones the dealers also have access to but not necessarily the knowledge of.

There is also a cheaper version closer in price to the HawkEye that resets codes and a few other things that can at least undo some of the "protections" that LR built in so you can avoid walking home. Also with access to the software, if you really know what you are doing, you can turn an early D3 into a newer one - just via software updates. I do not think you can turn a D3 into a D4 as I gather Land Rover changed the software language as the forum types here were getting too smart.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #79123030th Apr 2011 12:02 am
Namlandy

The Hawk eye unit is the only unit LR Spares inport here, cost about 450pounds. With this you can reset faults as well as manipulate sensors. I think your unit is better, if you can upgrate your software, maybe I must inport one direct from the supplier. It is a problem with the software here, they fix problems but never upgrate yours. Dealers here is a major problem in Namibia. At the moment I do all my services myself, every 5000km. I will have a look at the other units as well.
Must tell you, this is a mean offroader, but you need to know how to fix a problem. This Disco3 site help a lot, if not, I would have sold my Disco long ago.
Can you let me know the price off the unit u use.

Post #79131530th Apr 2011 1:42 pm
bbyer

752 Euros for the full load Faultmate including software.

Namlandy wrote:
This Disco3 site help a lot, if not, I would have sold my Disco long ago. Can you let me know the price off the unit u use.

The link below has the details, but the cost to you these days would be about 752.00 Euros plus any taxes etc.

This is for the full load "Blue Box" product code SV122, called the Faultmate MSV-2 NANO and all the software for your D3. I say your D3, as the serial number of your D3 is coded into the software. As such, the Faultmate will only work on your D3 and not someone else's D3.

Actually given that the HawkEye is 450 UK pounds, (about 510 euros), relatively speaking, the Faultmate at 752 euros is not as expensive as I figured. (Actually paying for it is however another thing.) The reality is that the full load Faultmate can do more than the Land Rover official T4. There is also a cheaper kind of code reader and code re-setter version of the Faultmate, but for you, given the lack of alternative Dealers, you need the good one. Actually you are fortunate to have a local dealer, regardless of ability.

If you purchased the software license that allows you to do all D3's, you could then rent yourself back to the dealer. Also the single vehicle software and access to the web site is the same as if you had the multi serial number software so regardless, you are getting access to it all. I might also add that there is a learning curve with the unit. Because it can do so much, you have to actually learn how to use it. I would not exactly call it plug and play. Once you purchase your Faultmate, you will have access to a forum that you can cry on and also learn from others tears.

https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/
Post #79135430th Apr 2011 5:32 pm
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Just had a new compressor fitted to replace one that was replaced early on under warranty, so around 5 years service may not be too bad given quite a few early warranty issues with suspension and other things.

The interesting thing is that the old one was not much use off-road if you wanted to vary suspension height the full cycle, as it would get warm and start to work very very slowly and take a very long time to recover. Some 2.5 full cycles was all it could manage. Complaints to the dealer and LR themselves got no results. Surprise surprise, the new one has no trouble performing some 6-7 cycles and I did not bother trying to do anymore, so the limit is beyond that number.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #7914991st May 2011 8:42 am
Namlandy

Hi bbyer, tell me up to when can you upgrate your software? Is there some one still writing new software? I want to make sure, if so it is better to get the faultmate.

Hi rsp, yes 5 years is a good livetime for a compressor, it is when you need to buy one it is not so nice. I want to open mine to see what can cause all the problems.

Post #7918952nd May 2011 5:07 pm
bbyer

Very much alive and active.

First off re the air compressor. I assume per the link below that you saw my gallery file of my broken air compressor. I figure that the connecting rod let go from the crank eccentric, a jam up occurred, and hence the broken connecting rod. Not much to repair, just replace but one can keep the broken one as next time, it may be something different and then one has parts.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4138

I understand your concerns about purchasing something that may be orphaned. The odds are are that you will be OK as the BlackBox people just purchased NanoCom so they are expanding, a good sign. There is an announcement on the site regarding the purchase. There is a link at the bottom of this page. http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/

Re the software updates etc, the Blue Box is basically a computer, Windows based I assume. The Blue Box therefore has an operating system like any computer, and yes, it gets updated when fixes are needed. Also it is this operating system that your vehicle serial number gets inserted into. Then like all computers, there is software. There is an initial download of it and then updates to it as they see fit.

The link below gives you some idea of the software that allows you to change and improve, (also foul up settings), but as long as you first make backups of the settings already within your 3, then you will beable to reload the prior settings and effectively erase any foul ups you made. This is the good bit because it allows you to experiment and if the idea does not work as intended, well you set it back as it was. http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/download/index.html

This link is to the distributors page. I put it on as towards the bottom of the page, I noticed that BlackBox has a dealer in South Africa so you may wish to purchase there as Colin will know the problems and solutions for the D3 in your part of the world. http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/distributors.html

My LR3 project this week it would appear is replacing the spare tyre winch. Fortunately it goes down and even goes back up, but not with the weight of the tyre on it. Dah...
Post #7920633rd May 2011 4:32 am
Namlandy

Thanx again. Contact the agent in South Africa. Only the mv on stock, cost 730UK Pounts and the software 1920UK Pounts, it is a lot off money. If you fix about 10 Discos a month it will work, but there is only about 10. I think I must sleep a week or two on this.
Like I see this unit is the full monty, this is the thing to get you out off a tight spot.
All that aside, now I need to start fixing my Discos hardware, compressor to clean, valve for airbags to test for leaks, rear door latch to repair, and best for last, fit my new ARB bumper, after that need to order rear spare wheel carrier and extra fuel tank.

Post #7922833rd May 2011 7:31 pm
bbyer

puzzled about prices

I am puzzled, but first off, the model I was referring to in an earlier post, was by mistake, the NANO, kit code SV122. The fancy blue box model with the window display is the EXTREME, kit code SV222. If I understand correctly, the full load singe vehicle software package that comes with either of the kits, is the same; also either the NANO or the EXTREME will do the job, the more expensive one is stand alone and the cheaper one requires a lap top to help out.

My read of the pricing on the Cyprus website is about 700 British Pounds for the SV222 kit, no
taxes. https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/
Yes, I would agree that with the numbers you were quoted well one best be fixing all the 3's in existence monthly. I wondered if the numbers were being quoted in Rand but no, and instead, maybe it is for the multi vehicle software. Perhaps one should contact the Cyprus site per this link. I note a number of email addresses at the bottom of the page. http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/ My understanding of the pricing could be wrong.
Post #7926934th May 2011 5:04 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Namlandy blackbox solutions have a credit card facility on their website shop - just order direct from them. The south African distributor is not that responsive. If you need help with the unit after you bought it, you have the most experience here on the forum

Post #7938227th May 2011 6:36 am
Namlandy

Thanx all, I will inport the unit, think it is cheeper. Still busy with my compressor. Can somebody help me with info on the air dryer, the cristels inside, can I use silica gel cristals, or is it something spesial?

Post #7947289th May 2011 9:21 pm
discokirk

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Namlandy wrote:
The best is to do it yourself, I already work on my Disco a lot off times. Installed a blanking kit on EGR, open turbo, dealer said turbo was done, deside to look myself, only loose plug and pipe. I also done the lifting links for higher ride hight. So I want to learn to fix my Disco any place. Also order a Hawk eye unit to do fault finding.
Every bit off help is apreciated, like you said, I think we can learn the dealers.

Regards

Hi Namlandy - how long have you used the the lifting links and any issues. What height improvement did you go for?
I am interested in doing the same but worry about the extra work that the universals will have to do.
 06 Disco TDV6 HSE  
Post #79722716th May 2011 3:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 12 of 20 <123 ... 111213 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >