DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Suspension Compressor Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 20 <123 ... 181920>
MarkAG

Hi Martin

Thanks for the welcome!

I am indeed considering rejecting it!

I hope to get the time to tell LR that tomorrow.

I'll let you know the outcome!!

Post #1666011th Sep 2005 9:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lawman

MarkAG, did you check with the dealer whether the new compresor was from 'old stock' because your problems started around the time of the changeover of compressor supplier.

Post #1677612th Sep 2005 4:25 pm
lawman

By the way, the ONLY time I have ever had what looked like a suspension issue was when I had been playing with the height whilst the car was stationary on a hot day. From reading the manual, it is clear that you can deplete the reservoir if you play around too much with the height which, I guess, will lead to the "...when the sytem has cooled". I wonder how many of us have caused self-induced problems on occasions. After all, raising and lowering such a massive weight will generate heat and take the 'puff' out of the system for a while.

Post #1677812th Sep 2005 4:30 pm
BN

England 

I have learn't today that some vehicles were built with wiring harnesses that were located in the wrong places and over a short period of time stretched and caused the compressors to fail, by causing the CamBus to talk to others sensors. Continual failures can't always be the physical unit.

Maybe the IT guys on site can explain what CamBus is as I haven't a clue, but can it talk to each other what ever it is?

Post #1677912th Sep 2005 4:30 pm
BN

England 

lawman wrote:
By the way, the ONLY time I have ever had what looked like a suspension issue was when I had been playing with the height whilst the car was stationary on a hot day. From reading the manual, it is clear that you can deplete the reservoir if you play around too much with the height which, I guess, will lead to the "...when the sytem has cooled". I wonder how many of us have caused self-induced problems on occasions. After all, raising and lowering such a massive weight will generate heat and take the 'puff' out of the system for a while.

The cars have a 'driveway test' and that it to allow the suspension to rise and fall about 10 times, then the reservoir depletes. You may be correct about the self induced errors, I mentioned it months ago.

However, it is a £30 +K car, so it should have all this worked out.

Surely the designers have kids that play cars in the drive and twiddle switches. Then the adults do the same expereimenting, so it is poor design if that is the case.

Post #1678212th Sep 2005 4:33 pm
lawman

Fair point BN about the cost of the car but heat is heat and raising 2.7 tonnes repeatedly is likely to cause some issues in the same way, by analogy, as hammering the breaks on a sports car. You will get brake fade on a £70k Porsche!

Post #1679212th Sep 2005 4:42 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BN, the quoted driveway test was 3 or 4 times.... not ten Wink
brain fade from using it ? Wink

Post #1680412th Sep 2005 4:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MarkAG

Folks - I have not been playing with the air suspension and the problems were there on the original compressor AND on the replacement compressor.

My own feeling is that this being a very expensive vehicle, irrespective of whether or not I had even played with the height (which I don't) - It should NOT cause problems like this.

I quite simply do not expect a car with a list price of 42k to lose it's marbles.

Lancaster Landrover at Reading combined with the might of Landrover UK has 2 days to either solve this problem or issue me with a like for like vehicle. If they fail - I take them to court.

Nope - the A in my middle name is not for Angry, but if it were to signify my mood it would be P!!!!

Post #1681812th Sep 2005 6:30 pm
BN

England 

Exactly my sentiments MarkAG a vehicle of such value should never see a garage other than for service. I keep quoting my little Suzuki, it has done 100,000 miles now and only ever been in for service. It has not even had new brakes fitted. If a £10k Suzuki can stay the distance why cannot a £40k car.

Just to put the record straight for TFC, the mole corrected the driveway test, it is 8 to 10.

Re suspension, there should be no heat involved with air. I don't get that problem on my motorhome with air suspension and I have never seen a truck with air heat problems. This is something we need to find out about, just what is this warning overheating?

It is totally different to brakes which obviously can suffer from heat.

Post #1682412th Sep 2005 6:43 pm
10forcash

BN wrote:
Exactly my sentiments MarkAG a vehicle of such value should never see a garage other than for service. I keep quoting my little Suzuki, it has done 100,000 miles now and only ever been in for service. It has not even had new brakes fitted. If a £10k Suzuki can stay the distance why cannot a £40k car.

Just to put the record straight for TFC, the mole corrected the driveway test, it is 8 to 10.

Re suspension, there should be no heat involved with air. I don't get that problem on my motorhome with air suspension and I have never seen a truck with air heat problems. This is something we need to find out about, just what is this warning overheating?

It is totally different to brakes which obviously can suffer from heat.

Brian, basic physics will tell you (OK, I know you're pre -pythagoras) that compression of a gas or liquid will produce heat, as will load on an electric motor Rolling Eyes .... you were obviously at a different school to Newton Rolling Eyes Wink

Post #1682512th Sep 2005 6:56 pm
BN

England 

Yes, know all that, but what do they actually mean by overheat, what for instance. If so, why does a 40 tonne truck not have the same warnings?

None of the fuel tankers have that heat warning in the suspension. I realise air can cause heat if there is friction for instance like a bike pump and a finger.

Why does my motorhome not have the need to warn about overheating and it is far heavier than the D3. I can also pump the suspension up and down at will at anytime, which could cause heat if it was not designed properly.

Post #1682612th Sep 2005 7:02 pm
10forcash

BN wrote:
Yes, know all that, but what do they actually mean by overheat, what for instance. If so, why does a 40 tonne truck not have the same warnings?

None of the fuel tankers have that heat warning in the suspension.

Why does my motorhome not have the need to warn about overheating and it is far heavier than the D3. I can also pump the suspension up and down at will at anytime, which could cause heat if it was not designed properly.
maybe the compressor is underrated..... or other components are???? rest assured... first time my beast does it, i'll be there to find out why ! Twisted Evil
fuel tankers and most trucks have a belt or gear driven compressor on the engine - and large heatsink fins with a good airflow round them, the Disco 3 is a electric motor paired with a compressor block mounted in a part of the vehicle that has a low airflow and is suceptible to mud / dirt accumulation, which will insulate the motor & compressor block from airflow cooling... however, this does not explain the high duty cycle on the compressor.... maybe a faulty blow off valve????

Post #1682712th Sep 2005 7:08 pm
MarkAG

Might seem off topic but the symptom I currently have is the "Suspension Fault" l;ight and message are appearing with monotonous regularity.

Last time this happened it was followed by the "Suspension will rise when system has cooled" message, but that one hasnt happened YET.

What Censored me off about the dealer is they can NOT have tried at all hard to recreate the problem as they never saw it once in two naffin weeks and I had it 18 times in 4 friggin days.

What upsets me about Landrover is they are happy with all the plaudits for "car of the year" and £42k of my cash, but can't move their arses to give me an APPROPRIATE replacement vehicle whilst this pup gets fixed.

The Pathfinder is looking an attractive alternative folks!

Post #1682812th Sep 2005 7:09 pm
10forcash

MarkAG,
Stay with it, most complex faults have a simple explanation.... it's just finding it that's the problem Rolling Eyes rest assured, when it's sorted, you'll read it here first Thumbs Up Wink

Post #1682912th Sep 2005 7:14 pm
BN

England 

Mark, you have hit the nail on the head for most guys and it is LRCS. I have one of LR's own vehicle in replacement for mine at this moment and I had a couple of problems like you with others that built up in a very short time to a total breakdown of the vehicle. LRCS have been fantastic to me, but I have a bit of clout, which may help. What ever result I get will benefit the site members, that is for sure.

My difference is that I have said clearly to LR that I don't want a replacement, I want the car fixed. My car has done no mileage and it should have earned its keep, but has not. It is also now concerning me about reliability. However, I have faith in the vehicle, but not in the electrics or software.

I am convinved my car has a software problem. My other car has a wiring problem, but the wire was pulled out on rough ground. It should not have been if the wires were routed correctly.

Re TFC's comments, agreed, but in that case, why have LR not done the same, Ford trucks are OK.

Post #1683012th Sep 2005 7:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 20 <123 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >