Geneva - New Look Disco
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 13 <123 ... 111213>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

no ...no ...no...No NO NO Twisted Evil

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2681595th Mar 2008 12:11 pm
monkey hanger

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Oh dear

Fur coat no nickers

bet the EPB is the same
 "its probably a virus, you'll be right as rain in a few days and if you're playing sport try to favour the other leg"  
Post #2681605th Mar 2008 12:16 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Every manufacturer seems to do this. They spend countless £££s on getting the initial design right, then hand the mid-life facelift over to someone on their work experience week. This really dilutes the image of the Disco3 as the highly capable "multi-tool" of the range and turns it into a pastiche FFRR wannabe pandering to school-run mums. It won't cut it with the gymkhana set or those seeking a comnfortable, even luxurious towing workhorse. Surely the niche this re-image is aimed at is already occupied by the RRS?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2681665th Mar 2008 12:30 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I bet its a sorry attempt to help soften the image and look of the D3 to try and make it less of a target to the eco muppets.

Oh... and the D3 has seen falling sales recently, this will not help.

Post #2681675th Mar 2008 12:36 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
On the bright side

If sales fall off enough due to this rape of shape and style, LR might have to introduce the TDV8 Razz

Keep old D3, buy new one, attach old bumpers etc to new D3.

Saves me even thinking about the new Toyota TDV8 (Pig ugly, known here as the more phonetically pleasing "eisenschwein").
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #2681735th Mar 2008 12:49 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

To many of the borderline eco-loonies one of the main "justifications" of a D3 is it's utility aspect (not that we should be justifying anything, that's another debate). To blur that utilitarian distinction and make it more of a city car plays right into their hands.

For a while I've been debating changing the D3 for a Freelander. I'd finally decided not to. Well, Mrs Do$h decided for me. She told me I'd taken 6 months of looking at everything on the market before getting the D3 so what the hell had changed? She even offered that the extra fuel costs can easily be accomodated within other changes to the household budget. I think Mrs Do$h likes the D3 more than she admits (or doesn't want a FL2 on the drive). On the back of that I'd decided I'd hang on and look at getting another D3 once the 3.0 had been on the market for 6-12 months. Looks like instead I'll be keeping this one. Nice own-goal Land Rover. Rolling Eyes

Post #2681745th Mar 2008 12:49 pm
NHR

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
Nice own-goal Land Rover. Rolling Eyes

Which neatly encapsulates why we have virtually no motor industry left: take a good idea and b Censored r it up.

If I were running Land Rover I would sort out the EPB, be paranoid about getting build quality 110% and fit much of the off road kit (underbody protection, etc) as standard. No messing about, market it as a fully fledged off roader which is also good on roads and with enough luxury to keep the SWMBOs happy.

Post #2681765th Mar 2008 1:00 pm
DiscoStu

England 

I was going to wait for the 3.0 - don't think I'll bother if it's going to look like that Sad

On the plus side, I get a new one sooner Mr. Green
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #2681795th Mar 2008 1:09 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Just remember to order another one of these stickers to go on the OSR quarter panel. You know the one: Says "DIESEL" in big yellow letters. Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2681835th Mar 2008 1:21 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'm sure some will like it but fingers crossed it's just an option, not standard fit
 The End  
Post #2681865th Mar 2008 1:25 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Twisted Evil Git!

Laughing
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #2681875th Mar 2008 1:25 pm
JMC

Scotland 

One of the primary rules in business is to meet the customers needs.

A quick look through this site would tell LR that the primary need is to improve the quality of a few key components and fit the TDV8 into the D3.

I wonder how many people would rush to buy a TDV8 D3? I know I would. However, I'm in no rush to change for the sake of change, and if I wanted the colour keyed tat then I could do this to my own car now.

By the same token, I wonder how many sales of RRS & FFRR would be lost to a TDV8 D3 Confused Personally, I doubt if it would be that many, since the posh brigade appear to buy on looks / status alone. Most of them never look under the bonnet anyway. Rolling Eyes

I'm sure that the LR range would not become mutually exclusive with the same power plant. The way I see it, each model retains its own niche customer base as follows:

Defender - Workhorse
FL2 - Can't afford / don't need a proper off-roader
D3 - Utilitarian all-rounder
RRS - Can't afford a FFRR but want a more sexy look than D3
FFRR - More money than sense

None of these aspects depend on the installed engine.

SWMBO reckons the new 09 look is more like a FFRR at the front due to colour coding but the rear is fugly......
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #2681965th Mar 2008 1:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Be interesting to see how they screw up the LRX - although the black one at Geneva is watered down plenty but still looks fgreat Thumbs Up

Post #2682005th Mar 2008 1:42 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I love the "Tonka Toy" styling of the D3. IMO, colour coding bumpers etc. ruins it.
Sadly though, the "4x4" market is such that those who actually want to venture off road are very much in the minority. Hence the popularity of X5's, ML's etc. etc. It's to this market that the D3 must appeal to get high sales figures. Hence the "softening" of its looks.
Personally, I'm gutted as the my D3 suits my needs & styling taste perfectly. I'd have got a FFRR if I'd wanted more luxury & softer styling.
Only changes I'd make would be on the performance & braking side. But, design depts. have to earn their living, so changes will always happen. Sad

Post #2682025th Mar 2008 1:44 pm
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think it looks Censored . I hope they dont change the looks as it will only make mine (ours) look like old models. At the moment you would be hard pushed to tell an 05 from an 08 model.
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #2682075th Mar 2008 1:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 13 <123 ... 111213>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >