Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Help with fault code RESOLVED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi profsrg,

That last comment about the epb cable has made me wonder ! I didn’t yank the cable out of the body but did strain it ! I suppose there’s a lot of merit in what your suggesting. I will investigate that !

Also yes the car was fine before I took the body off to deal with the crossover. No hdc fault no transmission fault.

I feel like I’m chasing my tail and as has been suggested it’s time to be methodical about retracing my steps. I suppose everyone in this situation hopes for a simple fix or for someone to say “this plug will be loose” or something like that.

Thanks for your words of encouragement mate. Very much appreciated. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #19699461st Aug 2018 10:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discomadness

johnlad wrote:
Just read an old post regarding F on dash fault, and it was down to fuel starvation,
new fuel filter and fuel cured it.

New fuel filter a week before it came off the road nd got half tank of fuel in. Does diesel go bad ?
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19699471st Aug 2018 10:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Hi

Just thought , now the suspension is resolved have u rescanned it plse to see what other fault codes come up Thumbs Up

Followed by a hard reset then rescan

Could the abs modulator be storing an error if there’s air still in the brake system ???

Don’t know how much help it is

I’ve rescanned and cleared fault codes but the big F is still present.

Hard reset is remove battery for 10 minutes or so ?

Is there any other procedures for the abs ? Still a bit baffled by it all.

Hi mate

Hard reset is where u disconnect the battery then touch the pos and Neg leads together for a 3-4 mins

Of course not touching the battery just the wires together

Was wondering , does it start up ok and is it drivable , reason I say is then ur be able to use the iid live data to ensure ur abs sensor are working ok

Also with it being driven a short journey would it then log more faults , alas hands up and being honest I’ve never had to deal with a situation like this

The more experienced guys will I feel be able to guide u better as at the end of the day all u need is to get it sorted out and ready for its mot

Ref ur abs , as far as I’m aware the iid guides u through the bleeding process to ensure no air is held inside the modulator, iid I assume just opens the valves so it is then bled out

Am still searching as well to see if anything else comes up

Last edited by gstuart on 1st Aug 2018 11:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19699541st Aug 2018 11:09 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've not come across Diesel deteriorating in that short a period, I think in the end the answer is going to be something small. Right now the best I can offer you is to keep your approach simple, if the car was fine before work began its likely that something did not go back quite right. Think about everything you did working backwards. If you need anything and its late you can pm me, I'll be burning the midnight oil in the garage too Big Cry

Post #19699581st Aug 2018 11:11 pm
gstuart

Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Hi mate

Indeed and have just been trying to find as much info as possible, bet it’s something simple but alas frustrating as hell after doing so much care and attention to then get thrown a curve ball

Ref the capacitor , think with everything going on ur mind is scattering all over the place with what could be the problem, think we all do that

Sounds like plenty of tea is required

Shame I’m not closer as there’s nothing like a challenge

Sorry can’t be more help but will keep searching and see what I can find

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Am going to clean off the engines sump plate and give it a few coats of dinitrol so when it goes back is all nice and clean

Hiya mate, I’ve had more than I can drink in tea ! Lol.

Your absolutely right, my mind is scattered all over the shop. I don’t know where to look at next. The trouble is you can spend thousands changing parts and then find out it’s something daft like a brake pedal switch. The worry for me is the car was laid up for a year and it’s looking increasingly like someone has knicked my outside air temp sensor. I’ve had the front bumper back off but can’t find where it is ! I have the plug just nothing for it to plug into !! Bizarre !

I haven’t had a chance to dinitrol the underside of the chassis stuff yet. I just need to get her working and then through the mot. Thumbs Up

Hi, apologises that is what I was going to do with the sump plate Laughing

Suppose my first port of call would be to put it back up on the post lift and check all the connections again, maybe pulling them apart and spraying them with electrical cleaner

Therefore also ensuring asking ur self is this plugged in is that plugged in , rechecking the large connector points at the back passenger side etc

Then doing a rescan , also whilst it’s off the ground could spin ur wheels to check ur abs sensors are all working ok without having to drive it

Also ensure all ur bulbs are working fine and brake lights

Remove connectors behind the battery to ensure the connectors are clean, no bent pins etc

Will find some info ref the front sensor for u

Last edited by gstuart on 1st Aug 2018 11:28 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #19699601st Aug 2018 11:13 pm
gstuart

Sensor information

https://sduivg.dm.files.1drv.com/y4m4D10Qc...amp;psid=1

Gearbox info

https://rjvmmg.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mCCI2SJ...amp;psid=1

Post #19699621st Aug 2018 11:21 pm
gstuart

PROFSR G wrote:
I've not come across Diesel deteriorating in that short a period, I think in the end the answer is going to be something small. Right now the best I can offer you is to keep your approach simple, if the car was fine before work began its likely that something did not go back quite right. Think about everything you did working backwards. If you need anything and its late you can pm me, I'll be burning the midnight oil in the garage too Big Cry

Hi mate

Indeed agree with u how it’s just pinning it down to something simple , where so many systems talk to one another and just got to have that one connector etc to cause the issues

Know when I virtually had my interior apart looking for an airbag fault and unfortunately took time going through everything, great feeling through when through help from the forum and pat at gap got it resolved

Where connectors come apart just think it could be just a few bad pins with some dirt etc that may be causing this ????

Post #19699792nd Aug 2018 7:00 am
gstuart

@discomadness

Hope u don’t mind me asking , what stage are we at please

What systems arnt working and also is there any info that may help u Thumbs Up

Post #19699812nd Aug 2018 7:03 am
gstuart

Discomadness wrote:
johnlad wrote:
Just read an old post regarding F on dash fault, and it was down to fuel starvation,
new fuel filter and fuel cured it.

New fuel filter a week before it came off the road nd got half tank of fuel in. Does diesel go bad ?

Hi

Just a quick thought , was the filter a genuine one plse

Was there a question that some non branded ones could cause issues , unless I’ve read it wrong ???

I’ll get my coat Laughing

Post #19699852nd Aug 2018 7:20 am
Discomadness

Hiya mate,

Thanks for all the messages, basically about to start work again now, basically I’m in the boat of..
F on dash “transmission fault limited gears available” and “hdc fault system unavailable” are the 2 dash messages. Other than that the car starts and idles ok.
I’ve checked all the plugs and wiring around the battery and engine, I’m going to re check the wiring at the near side rear wheel next and the transmission oil level etc and go from there.

The filter was a genuine one yes.

The car was running ok before. I’d have a occasional transmission fault when reversing and then shifting into drive but not all the time. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19700172nd Aug 2018 9:55 am
gstuart

Hi mate

Ok many thks Thumbs Up

Ref the gears , would that be the selector cable req adjustment if it occasionally goes from reverse to drive ???

Or if the cable is out of synch wit the gears if it can cause the F symbol as a way of protecting itself

Just an idea mate , don’t know if u had to remove the selector cable when I removed the body

Also reading about to ensure ur rear brake light bulbs are working ok

Hope ur able to narrow it down today

Last edited by gstuart on 2nd Aug 2018 10:55 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19700262nd Aug 2018 10:32 am
Discomadness

Hi mate,

Yeah I asked that earlier on in the thread was there a way of rigging the system. The selector moves between positions ok and the car does go forward in drive and back in reverse. I just don’t know. Big Cry
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19700292nd Aug 2018 10:42 am
gstuart

Ok mate

Will see if I can find out any more info ref the selector cable

Update , as far as I can see u put it into park and then ensure there’s no slack on the selector cable

Search continues

Post #19700342nd Aug 2018 10:56 am
Discomadness

Hiya buddy. The search continues. Gear box oil level ok.
Plugs at the rear checked and ok. Bit of a chafe against the strut tower for the wiring but nothing rubbed through.
Disconnected the radio capacitor. No difference.
Going to remove the switch surrounds for the hdc switches etc and check I didn’t yank the wiring with the epb cable.
Checked the wiring around the battery all ok.

Dad picking up a new 100ah agm battery for me so I can eliminate that, it had dropped to 12.3v over night.
Thanks for digging the info too mate. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19700722nd Aug 2018 1:00 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:
PROFSR G wrote:

Hi mate

Indeed agree with u how it’s just pinning it down to something simple , where so many systems talk to one another and just got to have that one connector etc to cause the issues

Know when I virtually had my interior apart looking for an airbag fault and unfortunately took time going through everything, great feeling through when through help from the forum and pat at gap got it resolved

Where connectors come apart just think it could be just a few bad pins with some dirt etc that may be causing this ????

Hi gs

I think you're bang on! and here's the reason why which I've only spotted now.

Discomadness wrote:

The car was running ok before. I’d have a occasional transmission fault when reversing and then shifting into drive but not all the time. Thumbs Up

I think this prior intermittent issue which may have been a faulty connector / weak cable has now possibly deteriorated completely whilst pulling the various plugs apart. A precise and scrupulous inspection of each cable on all connectors might now be the only way forward. With absolutely nothing else to go on, this is a smoking gun for me!

Post #19700792nd Aug 2018 1:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >