Help with fault code RESOLVED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Like u guys also mystified

Looking at the sequence in what the gearbox uses there no mention of a MAP sensor , bizarre

It completely threw me too ! I just didn’t get why the map sensor would effect it ! I did fit the new battery at the same time I think so maybe it was just battery related ?

Think Baby, Toys, Pram!! Disco's typically throw the lot out if there's even a small problem. That's why its so important to start with the simple stuff first. Do the basics before you pull out the multimeter Smile

Post #19706924th Aug 2018 4:03 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi profsr

Indeed and totally agree Thumbs Up

I heard that someone had there entire loom replaced and the error was rear bulbs that were the cause

Was done by a main dealer , whether it’s true 100% will never know

Always remember when I was a heating engineer , large companies had engineers what I called glorified part changers , they learnt nothing and just kept throwing parts at an issue when nothing worked

Had one and the guy must have fitted over £500 of parts and had spent hours on it ,

When I took the casing off I saw it was a faulty o ring that caused water to drop on a wire that blew a fuse , £5 for the parts and was fixed in 30 x mins

Always taught me to start with basics , on oil boilers, ie has the oil ran out and electric on Rolling with laughter

So indeed as u say always best to start with basics and must admit with these vehicles having a code reader is an essential part of the tool box

Post #19706944th Aug 2018 4:26 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Actually, speaking of parts fitters you remind me of an incident when I was an apprenticed to a Toyota dealership back in the late 1970's. In those days not all cars were fitted with seat belts as standard, and my lead Mechanic and I were tasked with fitting such. A few days later the new car returned with the complaint of "no tail lights" Confused

After he had insisted on changing everything from switch, bulbs, connectors, lamps, fuse board, and a week of searching for the problem we were no better off and no wiser.

Although foremost in my mind, in those days you wouldn't dare suggest it might be related to the fitted seat belts (questioning his ability and the quality of his work!) Eventually though, he had to visit the by now even more terrible prospect that his work on the belts might indeed be where the problem was emanating.
It turned out that the bolt he used to fix the belt to the driver side "B" pillar was too long, and consequently had pinched the loom to the rear lights causing a dead short. Embarassed Embarassed

He was a good man who took great pride in his work and by no means a "parts fitter," but he was unable to consider the possibility that his workmanship or quality of same was at the root. Consequently, a very embarrassing incident for him with his colleagues to say nothing of the time wasted.
I learned at least two things from that incident, 1. Never be afraid to question if I've made a mistake, and 2. never to put anything into a hollow cavity without first establishing what is behind it, automotive or otherwise!

I would also like to add, this has absolutely no relevance to the issue experienced by Discomadness, but simply my own ramblings inspired by the phrase "parts fitter" Rambling completed Rolling Eyes

Post #19707694th Aug 2018 8:55 pm
gstuart

Bow down Thumbs Up

How very true , always think it takes a bigger man to admit they’ve got something wrong and indeed as u say when I was an apprentice plumber I darnt of suggested my senior fitter had got some thing wrong

Guy that taught me was an ex para, had to ensure I got his morning tea, food throughout the day and end of the day make sure all his tools were put back where they belong and cleaned off

Van had to also be kept clean, Thk him now for the work ethic but didn’t at the time

When I taught apprentices I always told them never be scared to ask any question u wanted and if u think something is wrong plse say , I never pulled them up in front of a customer

Always taught them with boiler faults as you’ve also mentioned , basics first and also how something worked in order they had an understanding

Sorry am gassing again Whistle

Post #19707734th Aug 2018 9:21 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I’m the same with my apprentice. Ask anything you want. Don’t be afraid to point things out. To be fair he’s 18 but the best youngster I’ve had to work with. Enthusiastic, hard working and never see him during work hours with his phone in his hand. Can’t ask for more.

Don’t get me started ref other people missing the mark. My absolute favourites...

Call out to uppercwmbumfuq miles away because tenant has no heating or hot water. Give them a ring and conversation goes.... “have you got prepay meters” “yes” “have you checked the gas is on ?” “Of course I have, now what are you going to do about it, my nans dog is cold and I got no hot water to wash my cider cans out for recycling in the back garden” drive all the way up there (like 45mins drive) first thing I check is the gas meter. Press button A..... display says “gas...off” and my first thought is “well Censored you” Rolling with laughter happens at least once a month.

Second favourite are the ones that think because they have a breakdown or a leak that it’s directly your fault and your having a mountain of Censored for no other reason than they are frustrated even though you didn’t instal it.

And my absolute favourite. Customer asks for a price... give customer a price after a site visit etc, customer then says “nah Dai down the road can do if for half that” get Dai to do it then. 6 months later it breaks down. Dai has left the country and guess who they call to fix it. Guess who hangs up on them.
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #19707864th Aug 2018 10:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

I always useto write on the invoice of any work that needs doing so when they ring months later they can’t say I didn’t tell them

Worse is giving a price, they agree , then when the time comes to pay they haggle over the price , so get them to sign the invoice prior to starting work

Said to them do u go to the supermarket and haggle Whistle

Post #19707904th Aug 2018 10:22 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Haha yeah your absolutely spot on. Or the ones who have a price and then change things add things etc and then kick off when you give them the bill or the “while your doing that can you do me a favour” where the favour ends up being more work than the job you were there for in the first place. Rolling with laughter
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #19707934th Aug 2018 10:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

Oh yes the favour jobs, we’ve all had those nightmares Thumbs Up

Must admit would always do extra work, ie change bulbs etc or change a tap washer FOC for elderly people who struggled , clear there path of snow so didn’t slip as they went outdoors

Hopefully someone will do the same for me when I get older Laughing

Also useto stay away from ravenheat, biasi and also the other cheap boilers , also vokera and elm la blanc

As soon as u touched them something else broke Whistle

Stayed with Worcester, potterton, glow worm, valiant , etc , would only fit honeywell controls and grundfos pumps

So what’s planned for Sunday mate Thumbs Up

Post #19707954th Aug 2018 10:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >