Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

D4 crank failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 14 <123 456 ... 121314>
Sinci1

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Thanks but I don't agree. I have a lr approved car, fully serviced and maintained by lr main dealer and it has failed at 5 year old and 62000 miles. Lr have offered 40% which still leaves me with a bill of approx £12,000 or more. How can that be acceptable ?

Post #175177520th Dec 2016 11:08 pm
woody32
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 LR3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Sinci1 wrote:
I've sent a message to Woody but he hasn't picked it up yet

Hi sinci I've not received a Pm can you resend it please Thumbs Up
 Wanted D4s non runners pm for competitive price.
IID Pro MV License - D3/4 RRS - Enabling, Updates,Transmission flushing.
Mobile or workshop,PM for details.

Post #175177620th Dec 2016 11:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It's the repair cost that is way over priced here. Where the hell are these numbers coming from! You are been made to deal with franchise rates of labour, and no doubt customer prices for a new engine and ancillaries. Then your been offered 40% off that.

If it was bared back to the bones, I would really like to know what a new engine costs Land Rover. I suspect the 40% might be their break even point.

I suspect there is some politics between Ford who made the engine and Land Rover.

I'm with DG on the fact that we shouldn't be panicking to get away from our Discos, because the failure rate is low, but because of that I would think that LR should be helping out more when it does happen.

Post #175178320th Dec 2016 11:25 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Sinci1 wrote:
Thanks but I don't agree. I have a lr approved car, fully serviced and maintained by lr main dealer and it has failed at 5 year old and 62000 miles. Lr have offered 40% which still leaves me with a bill of approx £12,000 or more. How can that be acceptable ?

Did they give you a warranty ...and did you continue it ?

It's hard to be dispassionate when its your motor but machines do fail ... the vehicle is sold with a 3 year OEM warranty so beyond that you either have to have a post OEM warranty in place or if not then you are wholly reliant on goodwill.

That said, as Gareth points out, the sums seem enormously disproportionate in this example. I think that with the TSB in hand you could push them harder.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #175178620th Dec 2016 11:33 pm
Sinci1

I know machines fail but this is not a wear and tear failure or a blocked fuel injector, this is a failure due to an assembly error. It is happening almost daily from what I Can tell in the short time I've been looking into this so it is not that uncommon is it. I have pushed lr with the information you show in your post but they are stuck at 40% and stratstone are stuck with their prices, extortionate or not. I'm sure anyone who finds themselves with a premium car that suffers premature failure will seek to get it put right. I have recourse under the sale of goods act until the goods are 6 years old so the limited warranties are a bit of a red herring.

Post #175179320th Dec 2016 11:46 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Even if there were 10 a day failing it would still be relatively small in terms of overall numbers.

If you believe that the 6 year EU related condition applies then fill your boots Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #175179420th Dec 2016 11:48 pm
Sinci1

I fully intend to fill my boots, the other option is to write my £33000 premium, luxury car off after completing just 22000 miles in it.

Post #175180221st Dec 2016 12:17 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I wish you well with it.
Post #175180321st Dec 2016 12:23 am
Sinci1

Thank you

Post #175180621st Dec 2016 12:41 am
Jaggz

United Kingdom 

Whilst the numbers of failures may be low in the grand scheme of things it's devastating when it yours and shouldn't be happening. This could have a knock on effect for all owners as the more reported instances the more people will become aware and it could affect the used market values when people come to sell.
Having had Landrovers for over 15 years the one I have now will be my last following an oil pump casing failure (now repaired at my expense) and the woeful experience with the Landrover dealer and LRCS, blatantly lied to by both and when you challenge them they choose to ignore you or the questions that are awkward to answer.
Shame really but i couldn't live with the Russian roulette every time you turn the key, my cousin has just sold his 2010 RRS for exactly the same reason.

Post #175186321st Dec 2016 8:49 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I'm not trying to diminish that for the owner this is devastating, that is a given, but other owners reading and commenting on threads like these should nevertheless be offered some perspective rather than gaining an impression that they will all be subject to it.

Engines across all manufacturers have failure rates and within those failures there will generally be a known issue following a pattern but the precise cause of which is not wholly evident during production or subsequent redesigns.

If I were Sinci1 I would not focus on why the engines blow ...they do and will ...I would accept that and concentrate on seeking evidence of LR's contribution in similar cases. I know they only look on a 'case by case basis' but if his vehicle has relatively low mileage and has a LRFSH then he should be getting far more than the 40% contribution offered and should not be subject to extraordinary replacement charges by his dealer IMO.
Post #175187021st Dec 2016 9:11 am
Sinci1

Thank you Jaggz. To simply say 'it's bad luck' and that the 'numbers are small' just isn't good enough. No normal family has in the region of £20k to throw at repairing a luxury car that was substandard when built, and nor should they have to. I intend to fight this as far as I possibly can. I have had other people in the same boat contact me since my post and it is fair to say that this is not uncommon. I don't where these stats come from as it seems most go to independents to get their car back on the road as through the main dealer it is simply just not affordable. Like I said I invested in a lr thinking I was buying a robust vehicle with a huge reputable brand behind it, how wrong was I

Post #175187221st Dec 2016 9:17 am
Deanos_Beano

England 

Quote:
DG wrote:
I'm not trying to diminish that for the owner this is devastating, that is a given, but other owners reading and commenting on threads like these should nevertheless be offered some perspective rather than gaining an impression that they will all be subject to it.

Engines across all manufacturers have failure rates and within those failures there will generally be a known issue following a pattern but the precise cause of which is not wholly evident during production or subsequent redesigns.

If I were Sinci1 I would not focus on why the engines blow ...they do and will ...I would accept that and concentrate on seeking evidence of LR's contribution in similar cases. I know they only look on a 'case by case basis' but if his vehicle has relatively low mileage and has a LRFSH then he should be getting far more than the 40% contribution offered and should not be subject to extraordinary replacement charges by his dealer IMO.

Hmm im not sure you can equate this with anyother scenario where a recall didnt take place can you ?
I am personally giving serious thought to getting out if I cant get warranty guarantees on my next D4 that the whole costs are covered , not to mention the resulting carnage if thus happens at 70 innthe 3rd lane of a busy m6 .

I understand the sit back and evaluation approach but given the frequency , you are more likely to have this happen than
Win the lottery but with the lottery its a calculated risk , where here the odds are unkown .

Having seen the list now compiled by the SA chap , something innthe form of a guarantee needs to be undertaken at the bare minimum . A case by case basis is not acceptable beyond the FSH

Some further study shows officially that 1.3 percent of owners in SA aline had failures

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/cars/land-ro...ne-1925479

Quote:
“The issue affects only 1.3 percent of Land Rover engines sold in South Africa over the past 10 years,”

Last edited by Deanos_Beano on 21st Dec 2016 9:31 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #175187321st Dec 2016 9:20 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
IT ISNT ACCEPTABLE

Sinci1 wrote:

....vehicle engine clearly not fit for purpose
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #175187421st Dec 2016 9:23 am
Sinci1

D4

I have made a claim to LR who offered 40%. I have gone back to LR and asked them to review the case and they have responded saying that 40% is the maximum they will offer. I have received a written quote from Stratstone quoting the figures I have posted.

Where do you suggest I go from here, I don't know where else to 'push' for a better deal.

Post #175187521st Dec 2016 9:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 14 <123 456 ... 121314>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >