The Bearded Dragon  
Post #44723431st Mar 2009 6:00 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

IanR wrote:
might call it 'Aroundtuit Height Adjuster'

Yup finallly got one of them. Thumbs Up

( Have been am still am crook)...Thats ill not a crim, for the Poms

Prototype has been on my car for a while working well but i was not happy with the connections. New ones look more professional.
Doing final costing bfor posting.
looking for a name for the sysem that does not sound like a suspension mod. for when you tell your insurance you have it installed. Whistle It should be legal as it raises the suspension by <50mm, beyond that you need an engineers cert.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #44725031st Mar 2009 8:00 am
Marmoset

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

caverD3 wrote:

looking for a name for the sysem that does not sound like a suspension mod. for when you tell your insurance you have it installed. Whistle It should be legal as it raises the suspension by <50mm, beyond that you need an engineers cert.

How's about a "Centre of Gravity Lock" - shortened nicely to "CoG lock" - they'll think it's an anti theft device and reduce your premiums Laughing

Post #44759331st Mar 2009 8:14 pm
hmarais

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

I was reading this thread with interest, as I was battling with suspension problems for a long time. My Disco was a project, bought two wrecked ones and built one up. Problem was the intermittend suspension error that bottomed the suspension every 20km or so. I took it to three dealers, which made the problem worse after replacing the ride height sensors and the front air distribution valve, with the only comment that "there is a communication error on the system, and we do not know where!". In desperation, I cut the high pressure lines and fitted non return valves, and pumped the suspension with a spare compressor. I have now mounted the compressor in the engine bay with a switch, and has extened the air lines to the engine bay with hand valves for the four corners. It takes me now 1 minute to check and adjust the ride height of the vehicle.
Benefits Confused I can adjust to ride height to ca 100 mm above normal for river crossings, or to offroad heigh for higher speeds whan traversing dirt roads with rocks/ sand between the tracks (called "middelmannetjies" in South Africa)
Negatives: Crying or Very sad I need to adjust the height when hitching a caravan or heavy trailer, and due to small air leaks, I need to check and adjust the riding height every few days.
Africa is similar to Australia I presume in the aspect that you can find yourself in desolated areas hundreds of kilometers from civilisation or dealers, so I suggest al least know where the air lines are routed, the compressor is installed and cary some electrical cable, spare air line connectors (5), valves (4 x hand operated or non-return) and ca 8m of 6 mm compressed air tube rated to ca 20 bar) to get home. A Disco 3 on its belly in many areas of Southern Africa is not even towable, neither would LR assist be able to reach you with a flatbed trailer....
 Only 18% of the roads in Southern Africa are tarred, the rest is Land Rover Country. Or GS country.  
Post #4503647th Apr 2009 10:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rmp

Australia 

Interesting mod. But I think you'd also be disabling the cross-linked air suspension feature too?
 --
Robert
Life is better in low range 

Post #4503667th Apr 2009 10:56 am
caverD3

It is good thought to have back up solution.
I wonder if a failed compressor could be solved by attaching a compressor to the airline to the tank.
The OEM compressor has all sorts of sensors and a small tank attached so maybe noy.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4503847th Apr 2009 12:35 pm
gps-au

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

caverD3 wrote:
IanR wrote:
might call it 'Aroundtuit Height Adjuster'

Yup finallly got one of them. Thumbs Up

( Have been am still am crook)...Thats ill not a crim, for the Poms

Prototype has been on my car for a while working well but i was not happy with the connections. New ones look more professional.
Doing final costing bfor posting.
\

Any costings yet and maybe a more finalised working description of operation ?

Post #45807423rd Apr 2009 1:53 pm
TDV6

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

CaverD3, I ran an airline from my auxiliary compressor to the drain plug fitting on the air tank of my classic RR, worked well Smile, it also provided a pickup point for air to the tyrers or cleaning crap out of outbord motors that refused to start etc.

Ryall

Post #45832224th Apr 2009 2:02 am
caverD3

'Aroundtuit Height Adjuster'

The suspension height sensor rods are replaced with four actuators. These are set at the same length as the originals so the vehicle height is the same as LR spec.
When the switch on the actators shorten by 10mm raising the height by aproximately one notch (acess to normal, normal to off-road, off road to extended, extended to super extended. Super extended selected in this mode can put the sensor out of range and cause a suspension fault on the display)
When switched off the actators return to there previous lenghth and suspension is back to normal spec.
The system runs of the suspension air tank and allows for the fitting of a nitto (or similar) connector for airing up tyres. This comes with the kit.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #45832424th Apr 2009 2:43 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Air Suspension fix

Sounds excellent CaverD3. I like the idea of everything being standard until flicking a switch, then everything shifting up one notch. Could have used that in the Finke Gorge a couple of weeks ago. Checked underneath when cleaning all the sand and bulldust of and I've just about managed to rip the heatshields off - only thing that stopped it was they're hard up agains the LR tank. I was in off-road all the way tthru, but if I'd had access to extended it would have avoided the problem. They would have grounded out thru one of the ruts before the suspension had time to react automatically.

That said, we were towning the camper trailer and came up behind a modded 80 series cruiser which was struggling to get through (without a trailer) - whilst we sailed through without any hastles.

Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #45895926th Apr 2009 6:58 am
caverD3

Re: Air Suspension fix

Martin Krutli wrote:
That said, we were towning the camper trailer and came up behind a modded 80 series cruiser which was struggling to get through (without a trailer) - whilst we sailed through without any hastles.

Thumbs Up

So did the initial contact cause the damage?
It would have gone into extended as soon as it grounded. Is that what happened?
With the kit, if it still grounded would have gone into super extended.
Main purpose of the kit is for high crowned tracks and taking a run at sand dunes. Thumbs Up
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #45896526th Apr 2009 8:25 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I'm not sure when exactly the damage occurred, as there were a few very gnarley ridges and a lot of deep sand. I suspect the initial contact did it, as I wasn't aware of it going into extended at any stage. There wouls have been a lot of draw bar load at a few points with the Disco starting to go up one side of a deep rut whilst the camper was still pushing down into the bottom (you know the sort of thing with sharp washouts, vehicle pointing up, trailer still on the down slope).

Cheer.
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #45899926th Apr 2009 12:07 pm
caverD3

Does having trailer attached prevent extended mode?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #45900926th Apr 2009 12:43 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

CaverD3 - so what's the latest - I'm getting sick of changing my rods each time I go off-road... :-O

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #45927027th Apr 2009 1:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

IIRC, having the trailer connected keeps the suspension in Normal height only. I THINK that it senses this via the black round plug. If so, height changes may be possible by disconnecting the trailer plug. On the other hand, you may be driven made by the rear PDCs sounding off.

Best Wishes,
Peter
(with coils - permanently at off-road height. Smile )
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #45928027th Apr 2009 2:46 am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >