Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Hairy Moment - Engine Fault Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

so it looks like there are at least 3 of us with the same problem.

As I said to MiLow in a PM exchange, mine is back in the dealer tomorrow for 2-3 days as they should have some bits and pieces to run additional tests and maybe replace the main ECU (this needs a LR Benlux engineer to run some of the programming...apparently...)

Will report back on Thursday Thumbs Up
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #58913824th Jan 2010 8:05 pm
happymug

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:

And, FWIW, if it does happen again on the road , come off all the pedals, and cycle the igniton. Again, takes a bit of balls but once you have done it once, it becomes 2nd nature Thumbs Up

...do take care if you do this - a few years ago I tried that in an old Range rover I had. Not sure now if I got carried away and took the key out, but the steering lock engaged. I think it was just my clenched cheeks that kept me on the road.....
 (57) 2008 HSE  
Post #58934324th Jan 2010 10:45 pm
Bernie

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Guys, You can add me to the list. I have made a few posts over the last 2 years. My 06 auto ( Sept o5) started the problem just after warranty expired. Only happens when towing my caravan, only on uphill stretch when overtaking. It is a frequent issue and always clears after stopping,re-starting. The gap can be 10 mins or up to 2 hours. The dealer always says cannot find any issue or fault code until last time when they said that they found a exhaust manifold sensor that was carbonned up. They cleaned it. Problem came back when we towed next time. It has cost me lots, and I have no faith in throwing more money at dealer not to solve it. Land Rover of course say they have never heard of the problem and refer to dealer. I would love to hear of a solution.
Cheers
Bernie

Post #58958125th Jan 2010 12:39 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Same has happened to me, happened 3 times on the same slight incline, and on motorways, a quick stop re start and it would be fine until it did it again. Mine was identified through the fault code as the turbo actuator, but as they do not just supply that part they replace the whole turbo, it was a two day job with tests, apparently it takes 3 hrs just to strip theings down to get to the turbo. This is a common problem according to the technician who did one the week before. Only just been done under warranty so I will wait and see if it fixes the problem. I guess it could be pretty expensive out of warranty! My car is not even a year old and 7k miles on the clock!

Post #58973925th Jan 2010 5:00 pm
baja1969

loss of power engine sytem fault

hi all,

i was begining to think that i had posted something wrong due to no replies on my post, i didnt realise that there was two other similar posts on-going.

I am off to williams landrover tomorrow to let them have a look at mine whilst im there i am looking at a clutch that has been removed from a 67K 07 plate disco commercial of ours (was previously replaced at 27K under warranty)

If they are as good as they usually are then Gary and the service team there will get mine sorted, wouldnt mind it being ther turbo it means mine will be off the road under warranty so ill get a car to play in from either them or enterprise (TDV8 range rover last time) happy days as long as we dont have to pay for it.
 Disco TD5 Commercial (now gone)

Disco TDV6 Commercial 09 spec 

Post #58999125th Jan 2010 9:39 pm
quark

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Engine Fault

I also had this problem (or at least sounds like it is similar) on the way to work this morning.

Driving at 80kmh and the engine cut out with transmission failure warning, then engine system fault, special programs off, coasted to a halt in a layby. Turned off ignition, then back on after 30 seconds and it ran ok for another 30 minutes, then it happened again.

On both occassions, I had just come over the brow of a hill and was easing off the accelerator.

TD Auto, Avergae outside temperature -18C

I had the EGRs replaced two weeks ago. Before that I never had a problem since buying it new in early 2006.

I am heading into the garage this afternoon to get the codes read.

Very interested in your thoughts or pointers I should give to the garage (which is in Tønsberg, Norway).

Post #59035626th Jan 2010 11:17 am
JF Lux

Was at the dealer this morning and discussed some of the postings here (which was made a bit difficult due to the standard of my french... Laughing )

The workshop manager and the mechanic who is working on the vehicle (and who has always worked on it for this problem) are convinced it is still an electrical issue. Even as I asked, they said they have verified the turbo and actuator. They said they have checked the turbo hose for splits and delamination (I didn't have to ask the question).

The car is in the workshop with the engine bay spread all around it...(battery, airbox, covers, clamps etc... Shocked ) and some of the wiring loom is hanging out Shocked Shocked And two cables are now cut as they test them further Shocked Shocked Shocked

They have disconnected (and cut) the cable going into the sensor which is connected to an air pipe/main turbo pipe (?) Not sure exactly how to describe it, but it is a sensor close to the oil filler cap and is part of the two that measure air/engine temperature tolerance.

LR are convinced it is a cable issue between these sensors - hence it being intermittent and also appearing after a high-speed run/burst of power (eg. up hill; harder braking on a short motorway exit) and does not appear on a stready run.

The cables are an absolute pain to get to - they run right round the rear of the bulkhead; are all wrapped up in plastic and black tape; are bundled with many other cables; also run at the front of the car and round the inside wings etc...It is possible they will have to lift the body off the chassis to complete the job Shocked

Anyway, thats what I know based on my vehicle.

One thing - this problem being experienced by a few of us could be brought on by more than one issue. There might not be a single cause. That being said, if it is a rubbing cable, then this could be the similar to earlier issue of fog-light loom chafing and shorting ?
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"

Post #59039926th Jan 2010 12:29 pm
MiLow

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Interesting point made reagarding the problem being electrical. Although I don't believe it is wear and tear related, since I first experienced the fault with 56 miles on the clock on the day I picked up the vehicle!!

Is there anyone experiencing the problem who drives a manual?

I would be interested to see if any of you have experimented with using commandshift and if that avoids the problem. While towing and approaching a hill on motorway / dual carriageway, I flick to sport mode or commandshift to 5th. This avoids the potential trip to the layby / hard shoulder to stop, switch off and clear the fault. It works for me, but I bought an automatic for a reason!! Neutral

Looks like there are a few of us being frustrated here. Any more feedback or comment appreciated so that we can establish some common trends and maybe point our dealers in the right direction.

Mike

Post #59047326th Jan 2010 1:54 pm
quark

Wokshop feedback

An update....

I drove to the workshop - no sign of a problem.

Workshop viewed the error codes, which are:

P0046: Turbo boost control solenoid
P0098: intake air temp sens 2 circ high input
P0299: turbo underboost
P006?: MAP mass or airflow correlation
P0069: MAP barometric pressure correlation
P0106: MAP barometric sensor range/perf

They concentrated on the first one which pointed to a faulty turbo and undertook the LR procedure for checking and finding the root cause. No sign of problem. They deleted the error codes.

I drove it away about 40km to work and still no sign of a problem. I basically need to wait until it happens again.

Is there a lookup/guide anywhere on these error codes?

Post #59056126th Jan 2010 3:55 pm
baja1969

engie system fault

been to williams of manchester today, what can i say but first class service yet again.

1. Fault codes came up with fault mass air flow sensor and posible turbo actuator fault due to over boost situation

They have reset the ecu and removed the fault codes and have said if the fault re-appears then i am to bring the car in to them and they will put the fault down to a faulty actuator on the turbo.

The fault occurred whilst i was towing 3.5 ton on the level but after i had come up quite a steep incline called the Raullt Hill north wales so it could have been part of the cause as i was in 4th gear 50mph foot flat on the floor.

However the fault did re-occur not towing on the M56 just entering the M56 M6 slip road at Lymm.

So really unless the fault comes back i am non the wiser.

On the other subject
#
Landrover via Williams have honoured the clutch warranty on our 07 plate discovery, with a big thanks to Gary and the lads at Williams yet again, there service is second to non in my experience.
 Disco TD5 Commercial (now gone)

Disco TDV6 Commercial 09 spec 

Post #59082626th Jan 2010 9:53 pm
Discotres

IMPORTANT addition to my last post!

As I posted on another of these threads about the limp mode earlier this evening, as some may not have read it I will update you. As you know I have had the Turbo replaced as the actuator was identified as being faulty, they also reset other error messages that had appeared as they and LR believed it to be a 'chain reaction', well today I went for a journey on a motorway and guess what? it happened again, 7 times! this time it was shorter as in frequency of engine shut downs and to a slower speed approx 30mph and NO HILLS, not good on a motorway with heavy lorries! Anyway now off with LR assistance to the main dealer.

I would also add that my car which is manual had this problem from new, LR assistance had to come out when there was only 200 miles or so on the clock, I will definately keep you all updated as it is clear there is a bigger issue going on, thank goodness for the internet and to this forum for flushing out these commonalities.

Let's hope LR get their heads together and sort this, it is utterly dangerous as I tow and the sudden loss of power could be fatal with the standard of other drivers nowadays.

I have always found the dealers, staff and technicians to be first rate, I feel they see it as a challenge to identify the problem and the car is always returned immaculate. Anyway, we have it logged here, let's see what comes of it.

Post #59085426th Jan 2010 10:23 pm
JF Lux

I have my D3 back - road-tested and not showing any faults...I will need to see if that lasts.

So...they changed airflow sensors again (just to be sure) but the main work was replacing part of the wiring loom that goes between the ECU, and two airflow / temp sensors.

Its now a matter of trying and waiting, I suppose...

Post #59315029th Jan 2010 10:36 pm
Discotres

Can you please keep me updated as mine is still in the workshop, thanks

Post #59315329th Jan 2010 10:41 pm
quark

on the motorway

Happened again today on way to work, on the motorway, 110kph, engine cuts out, no power steering, etc. Transmission fault, engine fault, everything cuts out.

Pull over, turn ignition off and back on. Drive away. 4 times within 10 minutes.

Back to workshop today...

Post #5945751st Feb 2010 8:55 am
JF Lux

The word I am looking for, I think, is F Censored K

Not a squeak out of the car since Friday and the dealer repalcing the wiring between sensors. Been driving it daily. And tonight on the same route it has done for last several days (and also once earlier this afternoon) I get the same old problem..."Special Programs Off" and "Engine System Fault" and 50 km/h speed...

Dealer has said bring it in for the codes to be checked and to discuss where we go from here...

I am Evil or Very Mad as well as Big Cry

It's such a shame...a real shame...

Post #5963673rd Feb 2010 9:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >