Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Duratrac or Grabber AT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

what are the std fit Wrangler All Weather tyres rated at ?
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #9846492nd Oct 2012 4:11 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

70db Shocked

Here's the site I looked at, assume it's correct info. Got to laugh at their prices.

http://www.performancealloys.com/tyre-details.aspx?ID=10897

http://www.performancealloys.com/tyre-details.aspx?ID=10895

Thumbs Up

Post #9846572nd Oct 2012 4:19 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

General at are the same at 74db. Shocked

Duratrac is E fuel and E wet grip............General AT is F fuel and F wet grip which is not as good as Duratrac, very Confused on that.......looking into this one at present.

We are going to have some interesting results with Tyre Labeling. Mad

Spent a day in class over in Spain last week, trying to make others understand the facts etc.

We will have a short video on our web site very soon to explain how it all works.

Have seen some funny results with some of the Chinky tyres available, seems to me as they make it up as they go along. Rolling with laughter

Post #9846602nd Oct 2012 4:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

AJS4X4 wrote:
...Have seen some funny results with some of the Chinky tyres available, seems to me as they make it up as they go along. Rolling with laughter

Presumably these are what the "plebs" buy are they Rolling Eyes
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #9846612nd Oct 2012 4:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
christophe

Luxembourg 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

AJS4X4 wrote:
christophe wrote:
Mr. AJS 4X4 can you easily get the duratracs in England. Here in Luxembourg and around it seems that they will only be available in November the earliest and I really should replace my actual tires soon. The Duratrac is my first choice so I am looking at all the options.
Thanks.

255/55x19 Duratrac's in stock as I type. Thumbs Up

Great! I might be pushing a bit but would you be willing to ship a set of 4 to Luxembourg if I decide to go for it and have no other option nearby? Bow down By the way, what is your price for the Duratrac?

Post #9846622nd Oct 2012 4:29 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

AJS4X4 wrote:
General at are the same at 74db. Shocked

Duratrac is E fuel and E wet grip............General AT is F fuel and F wet grip which is not as good as Duratrac

I find that very surprising. The Duratrac is a pretty aggresive tyre, in my experience more so than photos portray. Certainly much more so than the AT.

If the above is correct, then Goodyear have done an amazing job and I'm tempted to get a set for the winter.

I'd like to know how the tests are conducted.

Post #9846662nd Oct 2012 4:35 pm
LT

christophe wrote:
AJS4X4 wrote:
christophe wrote:
Mr. AJS 4X4 can you easily get the duratracs in England. Here in Luxembourg and around it seems that they will only be available in November the earliest and I really should replace my actual tires soon. The Duratrac is my first choice so I am looking at all the options.
Thanks.

255/55x19 Duratrac's in stock as I type. Thumbs Up

Great! I might be pushing a bit but would you be willing to ship a set of 4 to Luxembourg if I decide to go for it and have no other option nearby? Bow down By the way, what is your price for the Duratrac?

Are they not currently available in Germany? With the Duratracs having the mountain snowflake, it seems odd that the UK would have them and Germany doesn't.

Post #9846672nd Oct 2012 4:42 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Even more fuel for the "which is the best tyre" boys.

Good looking tyre the Duratrac but very lumpy on price at present.

Post #9846692nd Oct 2012 4:45 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:

I'd like to know how the tests are conducted.

You and me both.

All this is going to do is put prices up IMHO.

Post #9846702nd Oct 2012 4:49 pm
LT

Testing Rolling Resistance
A tyre is mounted to a specially designed two-metre drum. It is then rotated with a defined load and pressure.

The test engineers have the torque required to rotate the drum before the tyre is fitted, so they are able to calculate the torque of the tyre by subtracting the new level required when the tyre is mounted against the level when it is not.

It is through calculating the difference of the drum's torque with or without the tyre that they can record what is known as the 'Rolling Resistance Coefficient'. This is what is used to work out the correct grading for the new tyre label.

Testing Wet Grip
There are two tests that engineers are required to carry out to come up with the wet grip rating.

First of all they need to carry out a wet braking test. This measures the performance of a tyre when a vehicle is braking on a wet surface. The distance that the car travels when slowing from 50mph to 12mph is recorded.

They also carry out what is known as a skid trailer test. This calculates the friction between the tyre and the road surface. For the tests to be valid, it must take place when the vehicle is travelling at 40mph.

Once they have both results, they combine them to create the Wet Grip Index (WGI) - this shows the percentage of improved ability compared with an independent reference tyre.

Testing Noise Emission
This test is done to find out the external noise of a tyre in decibels (dB).

The actual test consists of a microphone being set up on the edge of a track to measure the sound level of a test vehicle - the microphone is required to be 7.5m from the centre of the track and sit at 1.2m above the ground. When passing, the vehicle must be travelling at 50 mph with the engine turned off for the test to be valid.

The rolling resistance and noise levels seem straightforward enough. But the wet grip test must be susceptible to variants?

Post #9846742nd Oct 2012 4:59 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Well done.

Sometimes things can make your eye's bleed, I have just had a metal picture flash in my mind of what the testers look like.................someone help me. Laughing

Post #9846772nd Oct 2012 5:06 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

19" LTZs should be available now from Silverline sweet rubber

Post #9846782nd Oct 2012 5:08 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Sorry I can't "HEAR" you. Rolling with laughter

Post #9846822nd Oct 2012 5:16 pm
LT

Dunc, back on topic.

In real life, I couldn't tell any noticeable difference in noise between 19" Goodyear Wrangler HP AW which are rated at 70db and 19" Pirelli ATR which are rated at 72db when fitted and run on my D3.

So if the GG AT and Goodyear Duratrac are both rated at 74db, then you'll easily be able to live with the 4db increase in noise over your HP's.

Post #9846952nd Oct 2012 5:40 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Anyone will find it very hard to hear any difference between these db levels.

What we now are starting to see one manufacturer challenging another one as one or the other disagrees with the others findings. Rolling with laughter

Post #9847162nd Oct 2012 6:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >