Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Suspension Compressor Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 20 <123 ... 678 ... 181920>
BN

England 

MVS wrote:
Had a slight change of heart BN, and am not pushing too hard for the part, and have decided I don't want to go back to a Defender.

But I am pushing for a replacement vehicle, they can repair this one at their leisure.

Well best of luck, don't let them beat you to a big loss due to mileage depreciation.

Post #221427th Oct 2005 9:33 pm
MVS

Surprisingly the part has turned up before any offer for swapping the car.
Oh and before this compressor blows Laughing
As they said you could put compressors on till you're blue in the face they will just keep blowing if the cross over valves are faulty Exclamation
Needless to say dealer has rung to book it in, but even they don't know how long they will need the car to swap the crossover valves.

Post #2255511th Oct 2005 6:40 pm
MVS

Car had cross over valves swapped, as have just spoken to service manager.

He has told me that me that it still hasn't solved the problem completly, surprisingly, and unfortunately.

They now also think that there is a software issue, again.

So all theories on the compressor fails in early cars like mine are back on. Confused

Post #2393620th Oct 2005 10:29 am
BN

England 

I still do not think it is a compressor failure unless you can see the failure or actually test it. Too many on one vehicle for my liking.

Post #2394120th Oct 2005 11:45 am
MVS

Car is fixed now, totally, after 2 days and a 2.5hr conference call between my dealers tech's and technical @ LR. They had one of their guys copying every move the master tech's made with my car.

And the solution is as simple as a dodgy (making & breaking) connection on one of 30 plus wires in the multiplug to the suspension ECU.

I don't know as yet which exact one, and the problem is not obviously visible, but when you have 4 guys working on 2 cars (1 working, 1 not) they sussed the symtoms.

This connection causes software upload & download problems to the ECU, and also following on from that ECU control of the suspension,this leads to warning lights and messages that you guys keep getting cos this is what the ECU defaults to doing, as it doesn't know what's happening.

My first compressor failure was catastrophic due to faulty part. The second may have been a red herring. However atleast you guys have an idea to pass on th your dealers re all the dash warnings.

Hopefully this is the end of the saga Smile

Last edited by MVS on 20th Oct 2005 6:45 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2400320th Oct 2005 6:42 pm
BN

England 

MVS wrote:
Car is fixed now, totally, after 2 days and a 2.5hr conference call between my dealers tech's and technical @ LR. They had one of their guys copying every move the master tech's made with my car.

And the solution is as simple as a dodgy (making & breaking) connection on one of 30 plus wires in the multiplug to the suspension ECU.

I don't know as yet which exact one, and the problem is not obviously visible, but when you have 4 guys working on 2 cars (1 working 1 not) they sussed the symtoms.

This connection causes software upload & download problems to the ECU, and also following on from that ECU control of the suspension,this leads to warning lights and messages that you guys keep getting cos this is what the ECU defaults to doing.

My first compressor failure was catastrophic due to faulty part. The second may have been a red herring. However atleast you guys have an idea to pass on th your dealers re all the dash warnings.

Hopefully this the end of the saga Smile

Yes, this is good, but what Winger and I thought for some time now. However, which blooming wire, would be great to know. Best of luck.

Post #2400420th Oct 2005 6:44 pm
MVS

My problem with the situation is why has it taken any dealer or LR this long to diagnose a problem that affects Defenders and many other cars multiplugs the world over!

Post #2400520th Oct 2005 6:49 pm
BN

England 

MVS, comes down to quality control

Post #2400820th Oct 2005 6:59 pm
MVS

Shame BMW dumped them.

But them I suppose the D3 wouldn't have appeared.

Post #2400920th Oct 2005 7:04 pm
BN

England 

MVS wrote:
Shame BMW dumped them.

But them I suppose the D3 wouldn't have appeared.

BMW was the dirty word that caused most of the problems with LR. I for one would not have bought a LR if it was owned by BMW.

Post #2401020th Oct 2005 7:07 pm
MVS

Change always causes problems, and I don't want to get into politics, but there is an analogy to be drawn with Maggies reign over the UK.

I'm sure BMW didn't just do a technology stripping exercise, they must have instigated QC improvements that were much needed.

Last edited by MVS on 20th Oct 2005 7:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2401120th Oct 2005 7:15 pm
MVS

P.S.

Have you or Winger got any background on the wiring designations to the ECU multiplug as I will try and find out from the Techs which exact wire it was on mine.

This is not to say that it could be any of them on other cars, it would be worth the chaps checking the whole lot in the multiplug on any car that is getting errors.

Post #2401220th Oct 2005 7:20 pm
BN

England 

MVS wrote:
Change always causes problems, and I don't want to get into a politics, but there is an analogy to be drawn with Maggies reign over the UK.

I'm sure BMW didn't just do a technology stripping exercise, they must have instigated QC improvements that were much needed.

Without doubt that is correct and British Aerospace did nothing to help in the middle, finally stuffed by Ford. LR were old, slow and RELIABLE and could be fixed by almost anyone anywhere. That was their appeal and that made me a lot of money as a tool and kept many countries going and armies moving.

Now they are far to, can't use the word I would like due to PC things, but 'fluffy and 'soft' is as near as I can get.

The D3 is formidable in its ability, let down by trying to be too nice for people who will never ever use it for what it is a tool of the trade.

Ford, finally put paid to the ruffty tuffty LR Discovery, knocks, leaks and bangs, great.

Post #2401320th Oct 2005 7:21 pm
MVS

P.P.S.
1. Please see P.S.
2. Where is the ECU located?

Post #2401720th Oct 2005 7:26 pm
Pelyma

England 

A friend has an S reg 5 series tourer, the rear suspension is shot on it apparently this is a common problem - not so Censored clever are they, just a good publicity machine
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2403120th Oct 2005 7:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 20 <123 ... 678 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >