Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Suspension Compressor Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 20 <123 ... 567 ... 181920>
BN

England 

I know the exhaust valves burst but the problem could be moisture in the tank that is caused by simply cold air on the outside with the tank being warm. The dryers don't come into it then, but the water could easily stop a valve hence the known valve problem.

Post #2068730th Sep 2005 8:05 pm
MVS

Starting to look that way.

If any moisture enters the system after the Compressor/dryer unit it will sit in the reservoir or get pushed through the 'Gallery of valves' even before getting to the bags at each corner.

That's how my logic interprets the schematic. By all accounts the P38 Rangie was the last model to have a drain plug on the air reciever.

Tech spent all day checking all the wiring loom for faults also (there were 2 of them on it from 8.30 til 5pm cos he was putting her back in one piece as we talked). He admitted that LR Tech were no help really. 'Its all a known problem with no known solution' was his quote from his talks with them.

Mike

Post #2069230th Sep 2005 8:18 pm
BN

England 

MVS wrote:

If any moisture enters the system after the Compressor/dryer unit it will sit in the reservoir or get pushed through the 'Gallery of valves' even before getting to the bags at each corner.

That's how my logic interprets the schematic. By all accounts the P38 Rangie was the last model to have a drain plug on the air reciever.

Tech spent all day checking all the wiring loom for faults also (there were 2 of them on it from 8.30 til 5pm cos he was putting her back in one piece as we talked). He admitted that LR Tech were no help really. 'Its all a known problem with no known solution' was his quote from his talks with them.

Mike

Ouch that last comment is not good.

Post #2071330th Sep 2005 9:03 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

MVS wrote:

Mike

Quite a merry dance, isn't it?!

Depends what you call a drain plug - the receiver has a plug at the forward end. It can be removed, and there was no trace of any internal moisture in the tank on my vehicle.

Interesting about the dryer - obviously it can be replaced as a single part (and bought separately too). The schematic does make it look like a single assembly, but that is not actually the case.

Air suspension is not new to Land Rover; as I have said before, there is too much heart searching going on trying to point the finger at the root of the problem. A duff distribution valve, an intermittent fault on a pressure sensor or something more fundamental like a compressor failure could all activate a diagnostic fault.

Clearly something is wrong on certain vehicles, and this needs to be sorted - especially when the mechanics are at a loss to explain or even diagnose the fault. Each vehicle, though, must be treated as an individual case - interesting that Mike's compressor was obviously working perfectly.

That said, none of the vehicle systems is actually that complex. If a really good mechanic, with a logical mind, is left to work on the problem, eventually the problem will be sorted. I begin to think, more and more, that the failure to resolve problems is a defecit of really good mechanical input at the dealers.

Having talked a length with a pal earlier, I am wondering if the main suspension pressure switch might not be something to take a close look at.

None of this helps if your car is afflicted, I know.

Post #2073030th Sep 2005 11:58 pm
BN

England 

Do you know where the main suspension pressure switch is located Winger, because I do not have a drawing.

Post #207431st Oct 2005 8:41 am
MVS

Winger just for your information, the main pressure switch was what technical said to replace first.

Duly this is what my dealer did to no avail yeasterday.

Suggestion 2 from LR technical was an ECU swap for the suspension.

This is to be done @ end of next week.

Interstingly whatever else went on yeasterday my heating system (interior) is screwed up again. As it's blowing cold air unless thermostats turned up to 26 deg +.

Post #207631st Oct 2005 9:24 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

BN wrote:
Do you know where the main suspension pressure switch is located Winger, because I do not have a drawing.

In the compressor compartment, on the leading edge of the compressor.

Post #207671st Oct 2005 9:26 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

MVS wrote:
Interstingly whatever else went on yeasterday my heating system (interior) is screwed up again. As it's blowing cold air unless thermostats turned up to 26 deg +.

That'll probably be the HEVACS temperature mappings have gone haywire.....known problem in early vehicles and addressed with a software update. Doesn't explain why it has happened unless there was muchos fiddling around with the CCF when they had it plugged into T4.

Post #207711st Oct 2005 9:29 am
MVS

Thanks, whats the acronym for?

And it also happened when they swapped the first compressor. Software solved it, but they took the install back to delivery state and did a full PDI install.

Mike

Post #207751st Oct 2005 9:34 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

CCF = Car Configuration File.

When the testbook is attached, the first thing it does is download that from the car; changes are then made in testbook; finally the thing a loaded back up onto the car again. This is one reason it takes so long. The common misconception is that the Testbook writes directly to the car; it does, but in this roundabout way.

Post #207821st Oct 2005 9:42 am
MVS

So in other words the ECU system is just one big E-PROM which T4 removes and rewrites a "config.sys" type file to.

So in essence there is no dynamic interaction between the car and T4 to see how changes affect it. ie. cant be done on the move on the road?

Post #207841st Oct 2005 9:48 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

Yes, that is the way I understand it.

Post #207871st Oct 2005 9:53 am
MVS

Finally my regional dealers head office, service dept have diagnosed my compressor failures. This is partly due to my driving impressions of the '06 spec Auto SE loan D3 I have been in for the last few days.

My instant impression on first driving the loaner was that my S wallows around corners (and reared & dived on acc & braking, but to a lesser degree).

They now believe that it's the cross link valves that are overstressing the compressor as they aren't working correctly.

This I can believe, and am happy with their diagnosis. LR technical agree with the diagnosis, so this may solve others compressor failure problems.

The bad news is that LR don't have any valves and do not have a date for any. So I am back in a wallowy whale (compared to how it should be)

Post #221327th Oct 2005 8:10 pm
BN

England 

MVS wrote:
Finally my regional dealers head office, service dept have diagnosed my compressor failures. This is partly due to my driving impressions of the '06 spec Auto SE loan D3 I have been in for the last few days.

My instant impression on first driving the loaner was that my S wallows around corners (and reared & dived on acc & braking, but to a lesser degree).

They now believe that it's the cross link valves that are overstressing the compressor as they aren't working correctly.

This I can believe, and am happy with their diagnosis. LR technical agree with the diagnosis, so this may solve others compressor failure problems.

The bad news is that LR don't have any valves and do not have a date for any. So I am back in a wallowy whale (compared to how it should be)

LR have no spares until you push them, then they have.

Post #221357th Oct 2005 8:16 pm
MVS

Had a slight change of heart BN, and am not pushing too hard for the part, and have decided I don't want to go back to a Defender.

But I am pushing for a replacement vehicle, they can repair this one at their leisure.

Post #221367th Oct 2005 8:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 20 <123 ... 567 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >