Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Suspension Compressor Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 20 <123 ... 91011 ... 181920>
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

As advised above, the dealer advice is crap.

Contact LR Oz and clarify the position.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #6453345th May 2010 11:37 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I could help in Sydney. Sad

As BW said make sure you get confirmation. It would be illegal to refuse warranty if failure occured before expiration. It not only failed before but was also diagnosed.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6453436th May 2010 12:25 am
markwalsham

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
My Experience

Hi guys,

I had an issue where if I used the controls to set my D3 to access height, on return to normal height, I would get a suspension fault message within 2 mins. This was diagnosed as low pressure from the compressor.

My warranty company decided that it wasn't covered, as it wasn't broken, as it still functions.

Anyway, after a lot of haggling with the dealer we bought the car from, they did the decent thing and paid for a new compressor to be fitted.

This solved the problem completely.

Why this isn't a recall on a larger range of VIN's is beyond me, as it has affected a lot of people and their D3's and smacks of LR not wanting to acknowledge a wider problem.

Cheers, Mark.
 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES Auto 

Post #67689927th Jul 2010 10:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy1047

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

As a newbee to the forum ''Hi Guys''

I'm no mechanic & in a bit of a panic

With only 6000 miles on my D3, while on Mull a couple of weeks ago I had a side wall puncture - unrepairable - in the dark & raining the d3 was jacked up on the compressor cover by a helping friend - my expensive fault I should have checked - Big Cry
needless to say the compressor ally' bracket & plastic cover were broken, a local farmer lashed it all back to the chassis so was able to drive back to the Midlands after waiting a week for a tyre to be delivered to the Isle of Mull,

I ordered the damaged parts hoping I could fit them my self they arrived this afternoon can't seem to see how to fit the bolts to the compressor and then fit the bracket -with the compressor -to the chassis or fit the bracket to the chassis then fit the compressor ?

Any where I can find pics of the assembly to make sure its I've fitted it correctly?

any advice would be a great help, or should I take it back to my dealer?

Andy

Post #67742828th Jul 2010 6:48 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Whereabouts are you in the West Midlands? If you're close enough I could help as I've changed my compressor (I also have a spare) Wink
 Faultmate MSV2 EXTREME
FOXWELL N624 Elite
Hantek 1008c Oscilloscope 

Post #67777029th Jul 2010 4:05 pm
nobbyclark

How much is a new compressor? I have been getting "Suspension Fault" on almost every journey for the last couple of months. The local independent replaced some bits on the front track rods, but it still happens. Last Friday, the car was 'kangarooing' down the M90, to the point where I had to stop on the hard shoulder, switch off and re-start, at which point it ran smoothly. However, after switching back on after watching a film at the cinema, the car went into 'Extended Mode' for no reason, resulting in another switch off/on to reset.

I have now noticed a hissing noise from the driver's side front, which I assume is the air compressor.

Will be taking it back to the garage as soon as possible.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #6791953rd Aug 2010 1:36 pm
4x4nut

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Took my Disco 3 in to a local independent Landrover mechanic as it had suspension failure. I was working on replacing my front and back brake pads and adjusting my EPB shoes. Took it off the axle stands and as soon as it started rolling the fault light came on and I could no longer adjust the ride height. I turned the engine off and started it back up again after 30 seconds. At that point I could move the suspension down but not up. Drove her to the mechanics and noticed straight away (when I started grounding out on the farm track drive) that there was no air in the suspension and I was wobbling about as if I was at sea.

Took it to Chris Bowler (Independent Mechy in Wales) who plugged in the logic program which showed that no pressure was in the air bags but a voltage was reaching the air compressor. You could also hear the air compressor running for a brief second until the warning light coming on. We ruled out sensor failure as it was reading atmospheric pressure when the engine was switched off and then a very slight increase when the compressor briefly kicks in. I did no work on the air system so ruled out wrongly installed parts. It seems that the air compressor is starting but it is not pressuring up quickly enough and the car's logic program is cutting out the compressor so it didn't burn out and cause any more problems. New air compressor is being fitted tomorrow.

Just posted this FYI, would be interested to know if anyone else has had similar issues?? . . Will keep you up to date.

Post #7257123rd Dec 2010 11:20 pm
cowells

England 
Hi All

Just had a similar problem with my 2005 HSE, warning lamp comes on in dash then "Normal height only" on dash - two questions:

1. Is it ok to drive with it like this?
2. whats the possible problem?

Its only just happened and if I let the car run for a while (by driving) and re-start, the issue goes away until last night when I changed the height for a low car park! But it did re-set again later...power off/power on!

Any help would be good!

Rgds - Stuart
 -----------------------
Go Beyond & Multiply! 

Post #7437879th Jan 2011 1:23 pm
nobbyclark

Mine was off the road - in the wrong sense - for 8 days over the festive season, just when I needed a Land Rover in the snow and ice we have up here. It convinced itself that there was an obstruction under the car and raised itself to extended height and wouldn't go above 30 mph.

Local garage seems to think the underside was so caked in snow, ice and salt that the sensor was convinced that there was an obstruction. Now it has all defrosted, it seems OK.

But, I still get HDC and Special Programs unavailable at switch on - although they come back once the engine runs - and intermittient Suspension Fault messages.

Fed up with it. Looking for a Defender.
Post #74422810th Jan 2011 8:15 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There was TSB for 'porous' plastic housings on some height sensors. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #74424910th Jan 2011 9:26 am
nobbyclark

Cheers, will look into that.
Post #74433910th Jan 2011 12:31 pm
Disco3 Gert

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Intermittent Suspension fault

Hi can anyboby please help me understand the following faultcodes. I have been getting a intermittent Suspension fault warning for the last 4 weeks - clears normally after ignition on/off.

did a scan and found the following DTC:
HIGH SPEED CAN

TERRAIN RESPONSE:- 1 FAULTS
-:U0421
INSTRUMENT PACK:- 3 FAULTS
-:U0001
-:U0184
-:B1A87
PARK BRAKE:- 0 FAULTS
ENGINE MANAGEMENT:- 1 FAULTS
-:P0579
AIRBAG:- 0 FAULTS
REAR DIFFERENTIAL:- 0 FAULTS
AIR SUSPENSION:- 1 FAULTS
-:C1A13
STEERING ANGLE:- 0 FAULTS
TRANSFER BOX:- 0 FAULTS
AUTO BOX:- 0 FAULTS
ANTILOCK BRAKES:- 1 FAULTS
-:U0132

MEDIUM SPEED CAN

AUDIO HEAD UNIT:- 0 FAULTS
BODY CONTROL:- 4 FAULTS
-:B1B02
-:B1C57
-:B1D12
-:U0155
HEVAC:- 4 FAULTS
-:B1B74
-:B1B75
-:B1B76
-:B1B77
PARK DISTANCE:- 0 FAULTS

The suspension C1A13 - pressure does not decrease when venting gallery - seems the obvious one but which part of the eas is the gallery and what part operates the venting? maybe there is something else causing the fault. please help as I dont want to use the car in fear of it failing to the bump stops while in the bush.

thanks Gert
 current: Disco 3 TDV6 SE, fitted: 265/65/17 BFG, NL Dual Battery, Onboard compressor, frontrunner towbar.
old: Defender 110 2.8i 

Post #74549912th Jan 2011 4:00 pm
truck5181

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
venting

i had a problem last year with mine standing high on rear near side when in normal mode, warning light saying suspension fault and if i drove over 28mph the warning lights turned red and threatend certain death Exclamation
so a trip to the main dealer was called for Confused it turned out to be the compressor that was not venting Big Cry
after leaving them with all my pocket money to cover the cost of a replacement i have had no further problem Thumbs Up so off to morocco in a few weeks that should test it 8)

Post #74687914th Jan 2011 9:34 pm
Disco3 Gert

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I resolved my suspension fault C1A13 - pressure does not decrease when venting gallery today. As it was the obvious registered fault related to the suspension I looked at the eas system too check what could be the venting problem. The EAS schematic drawing refers to 2 exhaust valves in the system, The one is a solenoid operated one on the compressor and tho other one is a mechanical over pressure relieve valve also on the compressor delivery side. Talk to the parts department at the dealer and apparently the solenoid exhaust valve is only available as part of the complete compressor so not a option for now.

Venting relates to releasing air from the complete system to atmosphere in order to lower the car to access height or to nornal height from offroad height and the air moves through the drier to the silencer. So removed the compressor assembly and the drier. Blowed through the drier with great difficulty. So bought a new drier and mechanical exhaust valve and problem solved.

No more suspension fault alarms and when going down from offroad height or normal height you can clearly hear the system venting pressure to the atmosphere. Sound a bit weird to say but I am very glad my D3 is farting well again after locking it. And on the other side the compressor will be pumping with less strain through the new drier so hopefully it will last a bit longer.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Cheers
Gert
 current: Disco 3 TDV6 SE, fitted: 265/65/17 BFG, NL Dual Battery, Onboard compressor, frontrunner towbar.
old: Defender 110 2.8i 

Post #74729015th Jan 2011 8:14 pm
Namlandy

Namibia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Hi Gert, my Disco go down over about 3 to 4 days, Right down to the end. The dealers replaced the front valve, but its not working, needless to say, the gaurentee expired and now it is my problem to repair.

Post #75126723rd Jan 2011 7:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 20 <123 ... 91011 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >