Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

FBH question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 38 <123 ... 161718 ... 363738>
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As the FBH is a supplementary heater the settings of the ATCM make no difference.
The ATCM collects the relevant vehicle information via the CAN from the vehicle systems (engine running, angle, fuel in tank, airbag trigger/fault etc) and decides when to turn on or off the FBH.
The heating can be turned off and provided exterior temp is 5deg or below the FBH should still work.

I am curious to know why jonp has the auto defrost occurrence. Sounds like a software occurance.
 ..so what can I fiddle with today that ain't broken ...?  
Post #75430630th Jan 2011 6:49 pm
jonp

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Well it took me by suprise as well. Currently I am assuming that the demand for auto defrost sends a signal to the FBH to provide extra warmth. I did notice yesterday after I had the FBH burning for approx an hour in the morning, that when I used the car in the evening with auto defrost on the FBH worked for the short trip into town to collect a takeaway but when I made the journey back with auto defrost off the FBH did not work and when I checked the faults this morning I had the usual failed to ignite code. I agree with you IanNP that the FBH should work without the Auto defrost. I shall investigate further . Regards Jonathan

Post #75431630th Jan 2011 7:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steve H

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

jonp wrote:
Well it took me by suprise as well. Currently I am assuming that the demand for auto defrost sends a signal to the FBH to provide extra warmth. I did notice yesterday after I had the FBH burning for approx an hour in the morning, that when I used the car in the evening with auto defrost on the FBH worked for the short trip into town to collect a takeaway but when I made the journey back with auto defrost off the FBH did not work and when I checked the faults this morning I had the usual failed to ignite code. I agree with you IanNP that the FBH should work without the Auto defrost. I shall investigate further . Regards Jonathan

I tried mine last night with the auto defrost on hoping it might force it to work. I was disappointed though. As usual it started but failed to achieve a full start.
I just don't understand why it will work via the diagnostics with the engine stopped but not with the engine running even though the CANBUS is disconnected. The only chnages are the voltage and a possible change in fuel pressure due to the engine taking fuel. I doubt the fuel is the issue as it's a separate take off from the tank. I need to check the voltage with a DVM with peak hold as via the diagnostics the highest reading is around 14.6.
 D4 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey  
Post #7549501st Feb 2011 8:38 am
mike23118

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Well I have narrowed mine down to the fuel pump/line blocked or pump bust (pump does tick ) , Took off the hose at the bottom end of the FBH where it joins the thin pipe , set it to prime and nothing just a couple of little bubbles, did it a few times with the same result. So tonight its over the pit to find the pump and see if I can sort it /sus it out
Try'd taking fuel cap off and gently blowing down pipe with air line (if you can blow gently with air line) though could not get a good seal and did not clear fault
Does anyone know if the pump is none return?
Mike
 Now Renault Trafic
D4 gone
D3 gone 

Post #7551171st Feb 2011 4:55 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Anyone know why my FBH shuts down after running for 5 minutes when activated by the 1553?

Seems to run fine when it is started on a cold morning, as expected.

It was locked up over the weekend but the force start>fuse out, force start>fuse out trick unlocked it. But it won't run for longer than 5 minutes. Car is asleep when this happens!

Any info appreciated! thanks!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #7551261st Feb 2011 5:07 pm
mike23118

Milestone I GOT IT GOING Very Happy thought it was the fuel pump so took it off and put it on a battery just ticked once, guy with me said it was goose d(I got called out on a job) got back and he had try'd to open it THE Censored head !!
got it off him put it back together as best I could (but think it will leak) and it still works. Turned out the hose from tank to fbh was blocked blew through it by mouth and clear'd it, primed the fuel up to FBH reconnected, set it to run with webasto program on laptop AND AWAY SHE WENT IN A BIG CLOUD OF SMOKE.
just going to get a price for new pump from TLO Big Cry
All's well that ends well Thumbs Up
Mike
 Now Renault Trafic
D4 gone
D3 gone 

Post #7553782nd Feb 2011 7:36 am
mallo

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi all
Thinking about it I was told that there is a fine mesh filter in the suction side of the fuel pump, this could be restricting the flow of the fuel??
Best wishes

Post #7554332nd Feb 2011 11:08 am
IanNP

A non return valve is fitted to the outlet end of the aux fbh fuel pump.
There is a filter, but it is part of the pump.
The pump is a plunger /solenoid type, so 12vDC won't 'run' the pump.
It requires a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal.
Post #7554632nd Feb 2011 12:32 pm
mike23118

Thanks guys, Especially Mr Wiggs and IanNP without who's help and posts I would not have got it going
Just had a quote of TLO for a new pump £72 Thud I am hoping I have described the wrong one Whistle
Thanks again everyone
Mike
 Now Renault Trafic
D4 gone
D3 gone 

Post #7555942nd Feb 2011 4:31 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

FBH fuel pump is about right on price ...well its a very good price Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #7556082nd Feb 2011 4:51 pm
elpiloto

United Arab Emirates 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3

Can someone tell me how long it is suppose to take to get the Engine up to temperature with the FBH working?

I know mines running as I can hear it and see the smoke rise, but it seems to take about 10 minutes for the engine to get up to temp in a temperature of about 0. Neutral

Ta!

Post #76089812th Feb 2011 11:27 pm
Steve H

elpiloto wrote:
Can someone tell me how long it is suppose to take to get the Engine up to temperature with the FBH working?

I know mines running as I can hear it and see the smoke rise, but it seems to take about 10 minutes for the engine to get up to temp in a temperature of about 0. Neutral

Ta!

Are you sure it's running. It's quite common for it to try to start but fail to keep running. You hear the fan run, see and smell the smoke, but after a minute or so it shuts down. In the sort of temperature you describe mine takes 10 to 15 minutes depending on the type of driving. Just pootling round town it can take even longer.
 D4 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey  
Post #76090412th Feb 2011 11:43 pm
elpiloto

United Arab Emirates 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3

And I assume yours is working?

Cheers

Post #76093913th Feb 2011 12:58 am
IanNP

The length of time taken for the temp guage to get to 'normal' will vary.

When the guage gets to here (65deg coolant temp) the heater internal blower flaps are opened fully.

The first start of the day with an outside temp of 0deg, vehicle stationary, the guage will be at 'normal' within 10mins
The first start of the day with an outside temp of 0deg, clear the side windows and the temp is 'normal' around 1.5miles down the lane.

This is what I call 'normal' (88deg+ coolant temp)

Also if the FBH is not working, the engine in temps below 2deg at tickover will not get to 'normal' working temp.

The cooling system is that good!

Ian
Post #76143314th Feb 2011 1:41 pm
Steve H

elpiloto wrote:
And I assume yours is working?

Cheers

No its not working. I can only get it to work when its connected to the Laptop via a diagnostics lead.

I still can't figure out why it works perfectly in W Bus mode from my laptop but will not successfully start when the car's CANBUS tries to start it up. Like most of them it commences the start up with glowplug glowing, combustion air fan running but when the fuel pump starts it runs for about 10 seconds maximum and then enters glowplug cooling stage and shuts down. Some times it will lockout, others it just logs a failed start.
 D4 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey  
Post #76143514th Feb 2011 1:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 17 of 38 <123 ... 161718 ... 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >