Post #75345528th Jan 2011 4:15 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nice work Thumbs Up

Post #75346128th Jan 2011 4:29 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

mike23118 wrote:
Hi all , When all set up and ready to test does the ignition need to be on ?
thanks
Mike

not if you just using the webasto test software
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #75354028th Jan 2011 6:59 pm
lookatmema

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mike

no the ignition is left off. Clear any faults, and test it by clicking on the little hand symbol on the computer. Use the Stop on the software to switch off after you're sure it works OK.

Then, provided you didn't let the coolant get too hot, leave everything in place, start the car, and watch the CANBUS do the controlling. You can leave it idling for an age to see it reach normal temp, and if it's not too cold out, maybe even switch to standby.

Hope it's not too cold or wet for you to try it out Thumbs Up
 If you wait for it to go wrong - it's bound to oblige  
Post #75360928th Jan 2011 9:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No if the vehicle battery is good, the ignition does not need to be on, nor does the engine need to be running.
The FBH has its own permanent supply so once the PC Diag software is connected via the W-Bus the FBH will wake up.

Ian
 ..so what can I fiddle with today that ain't broken ...?  
Post #75366728th Jan 2011 10:34 pm
jonp

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Just a thought , I have being having lots of failed starts etc with my FBH for ages as well and I have just notced this morning ( - 5 C ) that when I started the car my Disco was giving a charging voltage of between 15.3V and 15.4 V using the Hawkeye diagnostic tool . According to the very usefull info posted in this Forum and if there is any possible in accuracy in measuring equipment and sensors etc , do you think it is possible the Disco's intelligent charging system is giving a little too much voltage at certain times and causing the FBH to stop working ?
For the first time in months I got mine to fire up and keep going by switching on the screen heaters and heater fan on etc to lower the voltage by 0.2V and it fired up and after a couple of stutters where I notcied the ' % Glow plug coil ' and the 'Heater Fan adjust voltage' change it has worked non stop for the last half hour .The charging voltage is now running around 14.2 V to 14.3 V with the screen heaters off and just the cars heater fan on. Regards Jonathan

Post #75381729th Jan 2011 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The FBH is set to shut down if the battery voltage goes to 16v or above.
I would get a digital multimeter and see what the voltage is across the battery terminals.
Arround 14v is the normal charge.
On cold days under load 15v is a possibility on some vehicles.

Ian
 ..so what can I fiddle with today that ain't broken ...?  
Post #75385029th Jan 2011 1:30 pm
mike23118

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

BRRRRRRR Just spent an 1 1/2 hours freezing my n Censored ts off trying to start the fbh and -----------NOTHING
not a sausage.
Just will not fire up, flame detector lights up sometimes for about 30 seconds the goes into cooling mode .
In diagnostic when i test glow plug for 45 seconds smoke will come out of intake which I guess is crap burning off it. How long would it be safe to test it for in one go without burning it out (if that's possible) ?
Has any one had any luck after hours of just going through start after start ?
 Now Renault Trafic
D4 gone
D3 gone 

Post #75397529th Jan 2011 7:45 pm
jonp

Just been having a play with my FBH again and I have noticed that from cold ( 1 ° C ) this morning it would not fire up , but as soon as I pressed the auto defrost button on the central dash I got a instance responce from the FBH glow plugs (50 % ) and a voltage to the FBH heater fan and the FBH started to gurgle and smoke came out of the exhaust . After a couple of mins there was a steady stream of hot air from the exhaust so I switched the auto defrost button off and the FBH glow plugs went to zero and the heater fan voltage dropped but kept running for a while ( cool down period ) After a couple of min I pressed the auto defrost button again and after 25 seconds the Glow plugs went instantly to 75 % and I got a voltage on the heater fan and the FBH fired up . I tried several variations of starting the engine and switching the auto defrost on and off and each time it had an effect on the FBH . Switching off always dropped the glow plug % to zero and always reduced the heater fan voltage . When the glow plug was showing zero % and the FBH was fully working it just dropped the heater fan to a lower voltage and if I switched the auto defrost on again the glow plug came on after approx 25 seconds again . Coolant temp at this point was up to approx 53 °C .
Very strange has anyone else noticed if the auto defrost button affects FBH operation ? Regards Jonathan

Post #75417330th Jan 2011 12:40 pm
mike23118

I don't get any smoke from mine on normal start up so I am thinking fuel pump may be blocked. I will take the fuel pipe off on fbh and see what happens with a 20 second pump
 Now Renault Trafic
D4 gone
D3 gone 

Post #75418830th Jan 2011 1:54 pm
lookatmema

Jonathan

This looks like either a fault somewhere in the ATCM, or maybe a software issue. Have you had a software update at the L-R dealer? I didn't need to have auto def. on to get the FBH firing. In fact, nothing out of the ordinary needed to be done. The A/C was on Econ too. Just started the engine and having cleared the faults, the FBH did it's business.

Mine's a 2006 MY, with the last software update done in late 2009.

I did notice that before my FBH issues, the cabin heater fan would vary speed dramatically, presumably dependant on the coolant temp., starting at a very slow speed and suddenly picking up to a pretty fast roar as the engine and FBH had run for a few minutes. After the FBH packed up, the fan speed didn't vary much at all, I suppose because the warm-up was soooooo slow.

I can't say what is happening now because I don't use the D3 much, and haven't driven it since clearing my FBH faults. Embarassed

It'd be interesting to see what others make of the auto def. issue. It could be a model year thing.

good luck, Alan.
Post #75424230th Jan 2011 4:31 pm
lookatmema

Mike,

Sounds like the right approach. Testing the diesel pump is one of Webasto's recommended troubleshooting steps. I think I recall seeing something about diesel being propelled a certain distance by the pump, probably confirming the pressure.

If you get plenty of fuel with the delivery pipe off, you might want to prime the FBH. I'm sure that's one of the options with the software, and I think folks here have done it - just tell the neighbours not to worry about the clouds of smoke Laughing

Alan.
Post #75424730th Jan 2011 4:40 pm
jonp

Alan ,
Mine is a 2005 SE , It was main dealer serviced for three years ( Ripon ) but the last two were at Team Valley Land Rover who are Independants but with ( IDS ) and a good reputation , I have always asked for any software updates when it goes for a service but it does no mean I get them . I use Hawkeye to clear any fault codes . I am still looking for reasons to why it does and doesn't work at times . Thanks Jonathan

Post #75429330th Jan 2011 6:13 pm
mike23118

"auto def" Is that the button thats got the pic of windscreen and "prog" on it below radio on top right?
If fuel pump is blocked could you put an air line and blow back through the pump or would that not be recommended?
54plate
 Now Renault Trafic
D4 gone
D3 gone 

Post #75429830th Jan 2011 6:25 pm
jonp

"auto def" Is that the button thats got the pic of windscreen and "prog" on it below radio on top right?

Yes that is the one , Regards Jonathan

Post #75430030th Jan 2011 6:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 16 of 38 <123 ... 151617 ... 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >