Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

FBH question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 38 <123 ... 111213 ... 363738>
katana

Luxembourg 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Fitted a couple of weeks ago the timer (1533) and Danhag 7.0 GSM module with the Danhag Y-cable. Job of nothing.
Worked fine in the beginning on the GSM and normal driving.

Nowadays, I phone the FBH, FBH starts and does his work. But when I don't use the GSM, so cold starting without pre-heating, the FBH doesn't start at temps below 3 degrees.

After a long highway run and the temp needle is in the middle, stopping or drive slowly the needle drops to around 1/4 on the scale.

Any ideas?

(i'm starting to get crazy of this FBH :bulb: )
 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE java black (in Europe)
Discovery 2 TD5 HSE java black (in Africa) 

Post #7282258th Dec 2010 5:36 pm
neil P

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There seems to be getting a bit of a common thread here......

FBH works fine from +7c down to around 0C. Now we are experiencing much lower temperatures the unit is failing to start and in my case locking out.

Could this be a fuel supply issue at low temperatures? After all diesel is well known to increase it's viscosity as temperatures fall.

I will have to wait until I get my leads made up and try to re-set the unit before I can go any further. At the moment trying to source male and female pins of the right size which I will shrink wrap to insulate.
 Discovery TDV6 S Silver
BMW Z3 Blue
MGB GT Red
Aston DB6 Blue

When it's good it's very good, but when it's broken I want my money back. 

Post #7282408th Dec 2010 6:09 pm
Titpuller

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4
FBH not working

I would just like to comment on this topic. My 07 reg D3 fuel burner heater has not worked since last winter and as I did not want to go to the stealers, I purchased the connect for £9.99 and download the software for free. I then attemped the fault diagnosis myself. I had to clear the fault code which was, OUT OF FUEL or words to that effect and that was only because the wife ran the car at of fuel. After all this I started the car and there was smoke at last! The FBH was working and did everything it should. If you have a FBH fault, just follow the instructions on page 8 and your away. Its really simple.
 DISCO 4 HSE, PEUGEOT 206 HDI VAN, FERGUSSION T20 TVO.  
Post #72936710th Dec 2010 3:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Diggler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I spoke with the dealer regarding TSB LTB 00337 / 9th November 2010 - and they wanted £350 to service the FBH as per the TSB.

Looking at the TSB it is a glowplug / heat exchanger swap out. I am thinking I would like to take the glowplug / heat exchanger assembly out and clean it up - has anyone any experience of doing this - and crucially, can it be done without draining the coolant.

I suspect as the FBH sits for 10 months without being used, old fuel has 'gone off' or partially evaporated leaving a thick gunk behind upsetting the fuel delivery / atomization - I want to take it apart and give it a good clean before parting with my hard earned pennies....

Any thoughts?

Matt

Post #72941910th Dec 2010 5:21 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Before you take it apart, for £50 and an hours work you can fit the timer which will enable you to manually fire the FBH and reset it. If it fails to start you can try blowing down the air intake to encourage it.

After persisting with mine for a couple of weeks, it's gone from 100% failed starts to 100% reliable. Reckon it's taken a few hours of burns to clean the sludge.

I actually think it's a very reliable bit of kit if used correctly. The installation in the D3 means that it's likely to sludge up when not used for months and it's easy to lock it out. I'm thinking/hoping that by giving it at least 30mins of burning once a week, all year it should be well maintained.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #72949510th Dec 2010 7:05 pm
tintenter

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

had an issue with my FBH this last week where it fires up but only for about a minute i have had it on the Webasto software where each time it is fired and then shuts down after a minute it then shows as a no start fault, just wondering if any one had had the same fault and fixed it, i will be trying again in the daylight tomorrow with the webasto software and also checking the car its self with the faultmate but asking here first to save my sanity bl***y thing has work fine when needed all year and now the weather is bad it plays up Evil or Very Mad
 Tintenter
Corris Grey Discovery 4 HSE

Bigger permagrin now installed

Semper in excretum, sole profundum moveat. 

Post #72954810th Dec 2010 9:03 pm
Diggler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

John C wrote:
Before you take it apart, for £50 and an hours work you can fit the timer which will enable you to manually fire the FBH and reset it. If it fails to start you can try blowing down the air intake to encourage it.

After persisting with mine for a couple of weeks, it's gone from 100% failed starts to 100% reliable. Reckon it's taken a few hours of burns to clean the sludge.

I actually think it's a very reliable bit of kit if used correctly. The installation in the D3 means that it's likely to sludge up when not used for months and it's easy to lock it out. I'm thinking/hoping that by giving it at least 30mins of burning once a week, all year it should be well maintained.

I have been firing it up using the Webasto software - or at least trying to Wink I can get it to attempt to fire - and it gets damn close with lots of smoke but it can't sustain a flame - hence the desire to 'open her up and clean her out'

Post #72956410th Dec 2010 9:37 pm
neil P

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well, finally got my leads made up this morning, and connected it all up. Pretty sure the neighbours thought I was mad out in the freezing cold peering into a lap top, but nothing new there.

Connected fine, and printed out the faults

1; no start, code 02h
2; car is almost out of fuel, code 24h
3; heating unit interlocked, code 07h

Cleared the faults, and it started first time with plenty of smoke. Oh joy!!

Many thanks to IanNP for his efforts. Saved me money, and I learnt something.
 Discovery TDV6 S Silver
BMW Z3 Blue
MGB GT Red
Aston DB6 Blue

When it's good it's very good, but when it's broken I want my money back. 

Post #73196215th Dec 2010 3:15 pm
potion_d3

Belgium 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi all,

Over 2 weeks of -2 °c and less and no FBH starting up.
Last night I installed the webasto software and created the cables as instructed by Ian (thanks for that!)
Cleared 3 errors and then the FBH started with the software. I kept it running for 30 minutes.
After the cycle I waited one hour, started the car and took off. The FBH was burning the whole 15 minutes drive.
GREAT
…
This morning the FBH starts up 60 seconds after I started the car (-3 °c, fuel tank full) and after 1 minute it stops working.
Have tried it this afternoon in the same conditions, same result. The FBH starts, smoke coming out of the pipe and after 1 minute it stops.

Any ideas?

Post #73303117th Dec 2010 2:50 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Keep at it Thumbs Up Gently blow down the air intake to encourage it. Keep it going for long enough and for enough times and you may just burn all the gunk out of the system Thumbs Up
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #73304117th Dec 2010 3:09 pm
LX0850

Luxembourg Ensign 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hello,

back on page 8:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic43944-105.html
IanNP says "BEFORE disconnecting either of the connectors on the FBH make sure the vehicle is asleep. The radio display must be off and the handbrake warning light must also be off. You must do this everytime you plug or unplug the CAN bus. "

What happens if the vehicle is not asleep and you unplug the CAN bus on the FBH?

I want to fit a DanHag GSM remote so I went to the car lifted the bonnet and unplugged the RED arrowed plug (see photos on page 8 ) to see which is pin 2 and whether there's already a wire in/on it.
The time it took to open the car, pop the lid and remove the plug can't have been that long and it's pretty sure that the hand break was on (can't say if the warning light was - didn't know it went off).

Have I locked out the FBH?

Last edited by LX0850 on 29th Dec 2010 12:23 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #73829629th Dec 2010 12:08 am
Trackman

Scotland 

If you unplug the CAN bus at the FBH you should be ok as it is not part of the main bus but a spur from the main bus.

That said, I would not do it !!

Ian.

Post #73829729th Dec 2010 12:17 am
A1GSS

England 

Mine just works - 2008 car. Are these problems unique to older cars?
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #73830329th Dec 2010 12:40 am
mike23118

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Bought my D3 in sept and the FBH has never worked, Is there a way of force starting it? if you fit the switch, when you push the start button it must be the same as jumping say blue pin to pink pin with a wire (colours just random guess)
once it was running it would burn any crap off and clean it out .
I dont know a thing about them so please be gentle with me
 Now Renault Trafic
D4 gone
D3 gone 

Post #73842029th Dec 2010 2:21 pm
Calle

Denmark 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
FHP was dead after flat battery. Now it works again.

Had a flat battery this summer. After that the car was only able to drive in emergencymode. Had the gearbox-ECU reprogrammed and the clutch calibrated, and the car worked again.

BUT then I found out, that the FHB did not work this winther Big Cry . I followed the advice by unplugging the FHB and the fuse, but it did not work. Then I had the FHB forced to start by my mechanic Evil or Very Mad . The FHB was burning fuel OK Thumbs Up . He errased some faults in the cars computer, and now the FHB works again.

Happy new year Very Happy
 Calle - disguised as adult.
Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
Ducati 750 SS
Cervelo P2 

Post #73845029th Dec 2010 4:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 12 of 38 <123 ... 111213 ... 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >