Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

FBH question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 38 <123 ... 101112 ... 363738>
mattgreen

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Martin wrote:

However, I did something that I think was probably a bit daft - instead of letting the parking heater mode complete properly, I switched the FBH back to "Off" with the software and after cooling off it went into Interlock 2 state Sad

The FBH didn't then run as normal when I took the D3 out, so pulled Fuse 28 for half an hour, and it seemed to reset it.

So, was I wrong to come out of park heater mode by going back to Off in the software?

I don't think it's daft - you've all taught us what not to do Wink

More seriously though, I've just had mine plugged into the Webasto software and tried to force it to run both Parking and Supplemental modes. Both failed at a state of "Burn Out 84" and went into "Cooling 5" and then "Lockout 2" and it registered a fault "No start".

Now, once I reset it and clear the fault and the interlock (1 min without power seems to do the trick) it will attempt to start under control of the car (it is -3 outside) but will stop and keep registering the same fault but doesn't lockout.

I think the software may be sending an OFF messages (probably the same message you sent it by pressing OFF!) which seems to lock it out.

The car doesn't seem to send that - I did have 39 "No Start" faults recorded. I think I have a problem....I do get smoke it just dies after about 1 min.

I'll post screen prints - does anyone know what might cause this?

The glow plug only reached 41%.

Post #7270066th Dec 2010 6:32 pm
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

To run the FBH click the 'hand' icon to the right of the 'printer' icon.
The FBH doesn't fully support the other three modes and can produce errors.
40% to 44% is about right for the glowplug.

'Burn Out' is part of the shut down, (it switches off the fuel pump and burns out any remaining diesel before) cooling then switches off.
Have a look what was going on before 'burn out'
 ..so what can I fiddle with today that ain't broken ...?  
Post #7270356th Dec 2010 7:52 pm
Diggler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Humm

Just started down this process after the dealer declared my FBH dead and in need of replacement.

Made up the cable and downloaded software as per this thread - thanks to all for doing this great detective work.

Comms to the heater work great and can test the individual components; when running a cycle I get the same error as many others, it seems to fail to either start a flame or maintain it according to the Flame Detector.

I do get puffs of smoke from the exhaust (which it has to be said has more holes than a colander) during the cycle and it looks like it is making a good effort to start, but it always shuts down and goes into STFL with interlock 2 and a No Start recorded in the error lock - the fuse trick wipes the memory instantly thus allowing another cycle of testing.

If I prime the heater I get more smoke before the failure and therefore I am certain the fuel pump is working; likewise I am confident the Glow Plug is working as I get smoke. I can hear the fan; and if I do the Glow Plug test without the fan puffs of smoke come out of the air intake.

My current thoughts are based on what little i know - but I am thinking that the fuel atomization / jetting is playing up - fuel, air and heat are present - and since I get smoke I think it points towards it not being able to sustain a flame.

I need to check IanNP's suggestion with using the 'hand icon' for the test but I understood this to mean 'stop' or 'off'.

Has anyone seen TSB LTB 00337 / 9th November 2010 - there is a low level service kit for the FBH which consists of a new glowplug, heat exchanger, water sensor and a few other bits - along with what looks like nearly an hours labour?

Cheers

Matt

Post #7273007th Dec 2010 9:05 am
mattgreen

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Diggler - I think my problem is similar - this morning it started then stopped after 2 mins then a bit later it started and kept working for the whole journey. I think it's failing to sustain the flame.

Oddly for a FBH it works better when warm!!!!!

Post #7273047th Dec 2010 9:18 am
neil P

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mattgreen,

My FBH hasn't worked since the temperature dropped bellow zero Sad . Worked fine a couple of weeks ago,when it was about plus 3 C

Yesterday -9C here at 7.00 am, and still didn't have any heat in the car after 5 miles.

I've ordered a lead of fleebay, and downloaded the software etc. Hopefully will be able to take a look at it by mid week. I'm presuming it's currently locked out, but the fuse trick does nothing, and there are no signs of life at all.

Fingers crossed (Or in gloves to drive at the moment)
 Discovery TDV6 S Silver
BMW Z3 Blue
MGB GT Red
Aston DB6 Blue

When it's good it's very good, but when it's broken I want my money back. 

Post #7274387th Dec 2010 3:30 pm
jaqnet

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

neil P wrote:
Mattgreen,

My FBH hasn't worked since the temperature dropped bellow zero Sad . Worked fine a couple of weeks ago,when it was about plus 3 C

Yesterday -9C here at 7.00 am, and still didn't have any heat in the car after 5 miles.

I've ordered a lead of fleebay, and downloaded the software etc. Hopefully will be able to take a look at it by mid week. I'm presuming it's currently locked out, but the fuse trick does nothing, and there are no signs of life at all.

Sorry to sound dumb, but had my Disco since new ...........can I manually turn heater on (FBH)

Post #7276747th Dec 2010 9:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steve H

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

neil P wrote:
Mattgreen,

Neil
where on fleebay did you find the lead? I had a look acouple of days ago and the link I had seen on here a while ago seemed to be dead. Also do you still need the Webasto plug and pins? Any help fratefully recieved as my FBH is in the same state as you describe and I want to clear the faults and try to use the diagnostics. I have colleagues at work who have experience of larger Webasto units on rail vehicles. The usual cause of the symptoms we seem to have are a problem with the airflow through the inlet.
 D4 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey 

Last edited by Steve H on 7th Dec 2010 10:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7277037th Dec 2010 9:32 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

My fbh on my 06 disco 3 was fine during the cold spell at the begining of the year but as the latest cold spell has started it has never really kicked in properly. Tried the reset by removing fuse 28 and it tried to start with a coupld of little puffs of smoke but then cut out. I read either on this post or another that someone had give it more air/oxygen by blowing down the air intake for the fbh? Just tried this tonight as it was trying to start up and it worked surprisingly. There wasnt even much smoke witch was unusual but started up lovely think ive burned my finger on the exhaust outlet but was worth it as with only 5 to 10 mins of tickover the cabin was toasty warm at last. Dont suppose it will last but its a start. Anyway any ideas why this procedure would work? It cant just be clogged up or surely it would have smoked like mad when it did kick in?
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #7277387th Dec 2010 9:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steve H

Steve H wrote:
neil P wrote:
Mattgreen,

Neil
where on fleebay did you find the lead? I had a look acouple of days ago and the link I had seen on here a while ago seemed to be dead. Also do you still need the Webasto plug and pins? Any help fratefully recieved as my FBH is in the same state as you describe and I want to clear the faults and try to use the diagnostics. I have colleagues at work who have experience of larger Webasto units on rail vehicles. The usual cause of the symptoms we seem to have are a problem with the airflow through the inlet.

I'v e found a new link on the well known auction site and ordered one of the blue leads. Wait and see now whether I can gain control.
 D4 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey  
Post #7277817th Dec 2010 10:30 pm
VFR800

Canada 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Do all D3's have a FBH. I haven't heard or seen one kick in on my LR3. Even when it was -32 the other week. I do have an engine block heater fitted though.

Post #7277897th Dec 2010 10:36 pm
DaveS

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The FBH will only operate when the air temperature is below 6 degrees C and the engine is below normal running temperature (77 I think). If you have an electric heater fitted perhaps the engine is too warm for the FBH to start.

It will come on if the engine temperature drops while you are driving but you may not notice it then.

Post #7278077th Dec 2010 10:55 pm
neil P

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Steve H,

My main concern is that there isn't any attempt by the Webasto to start. It's absolutely silent, and I've tried the fuse 28 reset trick. I know it was working a few weeks ago, (temp about 3C) but nothing since it got really cold.

As a consequence of this the temp gauge doesn't move for about 5-6 miles and is only about 1/4 warm after 20. It's not doing me or probably the engine any good Sad

Does anybody know if Webasto do exchange units if it comes to the worst?
 Discovery TDV6 S Silver
BMW Z3 Blue
MGB GT Red
Aston DB6 Blue

When it's good it's very good, but when it's broken I want my money back. 

Post #7280598th Dec 2010 12:53 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Isn't there a Webasto dealer near you? It sounds like it's locked.
They can read the fault, unlock it and have the software fire it up.
A 10 minute job.

If your FBH tries to fire up and you are low on fuel it will lock itself.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #7280648th Dec 2010 12:59 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

VFR800 wrote:
Do all D3's have a FBH. I haven't heard or seen one kick in on my LR3. Even when it was -32 the other week. I do have an engine block heater fitted though.

Your petrol LR3 won't have an FBH, they are fitted to cold-climate market D3 TDV6s.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #7280888th Dec 2010 1:59 pm
Steve H

neil P wrote:
Steve H,

My main concern is that there isn't any attempt by the Webasto to start. It's absolutely silent, and I've tried the fuse 28 reset trick. I know it was working a few weeks ago, (temp about 3C) but nothing since it got really cold.

As a consequence of this the temp gauge doesn't move for about 5-6 miles and is only about 1/4 warm after 20. It's not doing me or probably the engine any good Sad

Does anybody know if Webasto do exchange units if it comes to the worst?

Sounds exactly like my FBH. I suspect they are locked out. Somewhere on here I have seen that as the fault codes are stored in NVRAM simply pulling the fuse may not clear the lockout. Having said that the Webasto Manual says that lockouts may be cleared by removing fuse 1 from the heater's own control board. Not having located that I havent tried it.

I have just realised that even though I have ordered the blue VAG lead I still need a blank FBH plug which I have no idea how to source.

I actually doubt that the heater is faulty I think it is a case of so many failed firings locking it out. Having cleared the immediate problem we then need to find out why it is not staying alight during start up.
 D4 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey  
Post #7280938th Dec 2010 2:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 11 of 38 <123 ... 101112 ... 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >