Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Autobox Gear Lever pivot - How To
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 18 <123 ... 161718
matgriff

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

One thing I noticed on mine, and it's difficult to describe without have the parts on the bench in front of you, is that the plastic bush flanges had spread slightly, meaning that the nut could be tightened and pinch the bush, removing the free play and causing it to be stiff. Basically when you rebuild it you should be able to tighten the nut fully and it should still be free to move. I didn't want to back the nut off to allow free play as I thought it might work itself loose over time, and also it wouldn't grip the cable properly.

I solved it by filing the two flat faces of the plastic bush slightly to make it overall a bit thinner, this way the nut tightened against the end of the thread on the rod without pinching up the bush.

As I said difficult to explain, but it you strip it down you'll see what I mean.
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Post #226756316th Dec 2021 5:11 pm
1powerrack

England 

today I started the car moved through the gears (after leaving over night for the WD40 to soak in, but the issue of the ignition key stuck in the lock when in Park remained.

I got my new kit to replace selector lever and associated parts from the local land rover dealership
and followed the steps in the pdf to change the parts, no issues were encountered during removal, I measured the distance from the selector lever pinch bolt to end of the cable using a piece of wood and marking the distance with a pencil, I then assembled up the new parts as shown on the pdf and fitted the new lever with the nuts finger tight, at this point I tried to set the distance from the piece of wood I took earlier but I could not set the distance for the rod it was greater than I measured and there was no way I could reduce the length sticking through the pinch bolt.

so I have just stopped at that point, before looking at the selector cable adjustment section to ask if anyone had encountered a similar problem when setting the clamp to original measurement

thanks
 D3 4.4 V8 2005 sadly now gone
Freelander 2 i6 HSE now gone was a very good 4x4
Triumph TR8 

Post #226771017th Dec 2021 6:01 pm
matgriff

when I did mine, the clamp bit stayed on the cable and didn't move, I guess it was seized, but as that part doesn't need to move I just left it there. Cant see why the new part doesn't fit exactly... does the old one go back in the same position ?
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Post #226778218th Dec 2021 9:34 am
1powerrack

England 

I refitted the old lever but it was the same as the new lever kit, just too much of the inner cable rod protruding past the eye of the bolt, so I refitted the new kit, and tried the cable adjustment by loosening off the lock nut and restraining the clamping bush at the same time I was hoping that somehow the cable rod had extended after the lever was removed, and by cable adjustment I could push the inner cable backwards to get the correct length, but I could not push the cable rod backwards so I re tightened the locknut.
Below the lever as is

I did try to see if I could move the the gear selector from Park through the gears but with the ignition on the gear selector would not move and my key is stuck in the ignition, so any suggestions would be appreciated,
thanks
Triumph TR8 

Post #226779518th Dec 2021 11:52 am
matgriff

Seems a bit strange, because the part of the linkage that attaches to the gearbox has a little d shape cut out, so it only fits in one position, and if you didn't move the shift lever inside the car or the cable it should just all fit back in the same place ?

On my D3 when in park before I started the job there was 43.96mm of rod sticking through after the nut, and I also read on here someone else who measured the same or very similar. So if your lever and box are both in park that would be a good starting point.

What happens if you take the arm off the gearbox, set the rod length at 43mm, and clamp it, can you then refit the arm to the box ? if not it would seem to indicate something has moved and maybe the box itself isn't in park ?

You really want to clamp the cable nut tight before fitting the arm to the box to stop it twisting the pivot point, which can damage the box itself.
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Post #226793619th Dec 2021 10:04 am
1powerrack

England 

well its now resolved, I took off the trim off to look at the selector and the cable where it attaches onto a ball and to be honest all looked ok, I moved the selector through the gears by pressing the white tab, then went underneath just to see if anything had changed ( intentionally the inner solid cable was not clamped on the lever ) now the cable looked similar to when I took the measurement and checking the rod with my marked wooden stick it was good, so I clamped the lower nut on the lever, connected all the cables up under the selector fired up the V8 and could select the gears and checked the Reverse and Drive for no starting in those positions, the final check which started all this stress was I could remove the key from the ignition, so I am still not sure what was the cause of the solid cable being too long, I thought I was looking at a big spend!
thanks to Matgriff for all the help
cheers
Triumph TR8 

Post #226797019th Dec 2021 3:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 18 of 18 <123 ... 161718
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >