Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Reliability issues (rant warning!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I will get my car back tomorrow - 7.5 days since dropping it off for 60,000km service.

I spoke at length to the dealer principal this afternoon. Melbourne is the only source of parts in Australia.
They don't keep fuel pumps in stock - as they don't feel they need to replace them that often to justify having them on the shelves.

The fact that mine has now gone through 3 fuel pumps since new - the one when delivered, the one replaced at Easter 2007 and now another one in January 2009 - is probably due to poor quality fuel. So I will now swap from using "C" diesel to "S" and see if this next pump lasts longer than 30,000km.

Maybe I should have asked here before buying - but is it normal to have a Land Rover off THE road (not off road) for almost 2 months Shocked in 2 years of ownership? If so - please excuse my ranting... Rolling Eyes Else, a little empathy would go a long way.

Yours dejected,
Rob

Post #4141053rd Feb 2009 9:54 am
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

We've just got our 05 Disco back after the latest batch of warranty work - new front ball joints, new steering wheel, re-program gearbox to eliminate harsh downshifts, and new spare tyre winch - the FOURTH on so far!, and all in 85,000km.

There has been a constant run of relatively minor but very annoying problems, electrical and mechanical. But we have persevered with it; this is the best car to drive that I have ever owned and it's capability on rough dirt roads is outstanding. And as a Land Rover owner or driver since 1960 - yes, almost half a Century - I expect some of the legendary Pommie Problems to be part of the experience.

But I think this may be the last Landie. We own a Renault Scenic as well and in s1x hard years and almost 200,000km. it has not had a warranty problem or a repair to anything other than brake linings, tyres and windscreen wiper blades! Surely if the Frogs can do this, Land Rover can!

Much of the trouble seems to stem from the badly thought out design details. A too complex computer system (were not car computers supposed to reduce the amount of cabling by use of a Bus system? Why then are there bundles of wire as thick as one's arm, and banks of fuses hidden in every inaccessible spot? And the incredible 'feature' of notifying a failed brake light by shutting down a good part of the system), and a complex park brake that offers no advantage over a cable and lever except the ability to fail regularly, a spare wheel location that owes everything to fashion and nothing to practicality, a tow hitch that must add a considerable sum to the build costs and detract from the off-road ability, etc., etc.

The current model Defender looked attractive, but it too has too many reliability issues. So our dollars will most likely go elsewhere when we change over in a few months time. It's very unlikely that anyone from Land Rover Australia will read this and even more unlikely that they would be influenced by it. After all, the Oz MD could not even answer a polite fax. In the meantime, we will continue to rely on the local dealer, who has been pretty good to date. But hopefully our next 4x4 will not necessitate such an intimate relationship with the Service Personnel.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #4141163rd Feb 2009 10:32 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

jonesy63 wrote:
The fact that mine has now gone through 3 fuel pumps since new - the one when delivered, the one replaced at Easter 2007 and now another one in January 2009 - is probably due to poor quality fuel. So I will now swap from using "C" diesel to "S" and see if this next pump lasts longer than 30,000km.

Sorry for the hijack, but what is C & S diesel?

Post #4141293rd Feb 2009 10:58 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Probably the brands you get with a shopping docket
 Pete  
Post #4141443rd Feb 2009 11:52 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Tony wrote:
We own a Renault Scenic as well and in six hard years and almost 200,000km. it has not had a warranty problem or a repair to anything other than brake linings, tyres and windscreen wiper blades! Surely if the Frogs can do this, Land Rover can!

I think you must have got the poor reliability of the Renault transfered to the D3. :Lil: Laughing The Scenic a a terrible reputation for reliability. Rolling Eyes

Tony wrote:
A too complex computer system

LR were the first to try this. You had the beta model of the system with all its problems. Later builds improved.
MY07 + have a different CANBUS system and thee have been software improvements to suit. A work in progress.(still Rolling Eyes )

Tony wrote:
( And the incredible 'feature' of notifying a failed brake light by shutting down a good part of the system),

The new CANBUS system solved this by removing the 'piggyback' modules and integrating the system to stop faults from cascading.

Tony wrote:
and a complex park brake that offers no advantage over a cable and lever except the ability to fail regularly,
Mine had never failed (oops I said it) I like the thing and is a neat idea but a hand brake that is a affected by mud on a 4x4? Shocked

Tony wrote:
a spare wheel location that owes everything to fashion and nothing to practicality,

agree but you can get a rear carrier like the one for the Landcruiser.

Tony wrote:
a tow hitch that must add a considerable sum to the build costs and detract from the off-road ability, etc., etc.

Solved by the 'Mitch Hitch' Thumbs Up

I am keeping mine for a while but will get extended warranty as if something big goes it is going to be pricey to fix.
Would like a new one but I have just got this one as I like it. Very Happy

I would get a MY08 with my money rather than new.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4141703rd Feb 2009 12:39 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

norto wrote:

Thanks. I wondered about that but thought they could be as bad as each other so must be something else.

Post #4144203rd Feb 2009 8:36 pm
jonesy63

norto wrote:

Rather, the only brands available to me on fuel cards through lease company.

I find the comment by the dealer principal about poor fuel quality to be a bit of a "fob off"... no testing was performed - just the "expert opinions" of their mechanics.

Post #4145593rd Feb 2009 10:44 pm
jonesy63

Back in my D3 and the world is looking better! Thumbs Up 8) Very Happy

Post #4146944th Feb 2009 3:17 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It might be "brain power", but I think my D3 runs smoother, with better economy on BP diesel.
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #4146974th Feb 2009 3:29 am
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just came back from 6 weeks on the big island, drove Melbourne- Brisbane newel high way and took the coast on the way back over 6 nights. One thing I noticed was a real tapping sound under high rev’s after filling up at a Woolworths at merrimbula, on Saturday. I first put this down to the 39 degree heat, but when I got home I filled up with a tank of Coles diesel and I don’t seem to get the tapping noise. After reading the above threads I am beginning to think that some dodgy fuel may cause the tapping sound.

From my quick poll of driving (roughly 5000 k’s) I think D3 outnumbered 200 series about 30 to 20. Plus I quiet like D3’s in white, after seeing a few on my trip .

In 5ooo k’s the only problem, was blown brake light and the A/C switched off for no apparent reason in 34 degree heat, pulled into a servo about 10 mins later to fill up for fuel and a/c worked fine after that.

On 2 separate occasions, I had a 100 series drivers and then a 200 series deliberately over take me on dual lane roads, so they could be front of me, they must have a bit of inferiority complex! I read an interesting article about how the new Toyota V8 diesels are having a lot of problems with oil consumption! One guy was using a litre of oil for every tank of diesel !!!.

Anyway it ‘s good to be back into nice mid 20 degree temps, and can safely say that Qld has the worst roads in Australia
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #4147164th Feb 2009 6:47 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Off Topic
4X4 Austraulia said recently that their long term LC 200
was using too much fuel, too much oil and leaking dust like a sieve.
It was in response to a letter critising the reliability of Land Rovers
 Pete  
Post #4147634th Feb 2009 9:47 am
jonesy63

Just to close this thread down, I had the following parts replaced:
1) New battery - original was leaking near the -ve terminal.
2) New lower suspension arms with supposedly upgraded ball joints and inner bushes. Steering feels lighter and drives like new. Thumbs Up
3) New A/C part to stop the farting noise - upgraded spindle/gear from plastic to metal. (Funny - the Alfa 164s had exactly the same problem with their stepper motors!).
4) New fuel pump.

Here's hoping they have sorted all the gremlins out! 8)

Cheers,
Rob

Post #4148004th Feb 2009 11:31 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
Thought your battery was cracked. Wink
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4148144th Feb 2009 11:50 am
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

When the majority of us will never go through a fuel pump, and you have gone through 3, and the other comments about possible poor fuel quality, it definitely suggest fuel quality is you problem, not always LR fuel pump.

I Think LR have looked after you reasonably well in replacing the fuel pump on all 3 occasions.
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #4154155th Feb 2009 4:06 am
Dan W

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

razzle wrote:

...and can safely say that Qld has the worst roads in Australia

about 10 years ago we had the best roads in the country. It's just we haven't done anything with them since...
 2012 MY13 SDV6 SE D4 Ipanema Sand with Almond leather
2012 TDI Passat - they reckon the DSG is crap, I reckon it's awesome
2010 MY11 Mitsubishi Challenger - Gone (it was a "Challenging Year")
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #4167036th Feb 2009 10:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >