Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Rust Protection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Dan W

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Rust Protection

I got back from my Moreton Island Trip about a week and a half ago and there is still sand coming out of the Disco. Not that I'm too worried about sand, but the salt in it.

What are others here using for rust protection? Has anyone got an electronic version fitted? If so what brand, if you've gone chemical does the car still smell?

Also anyone have any idea of how much the rear centre tail light costs to replace (the one at the top of the tail gate)? Embarassed
 2012 MY13 SDV6 SE D4 Ipanema Sand with Almond leather
2012 TDI Passat - they reckon the DSG is crap, I reckon it's awesome
2010 MY11 Mitsubishi Challenger - Gone (it was a "Challenging Year")
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #36320722nd Oct 2008 10:04 am
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hope you had a great trip Dan.

For rust protection, I now use the good old garden hose - just clean out the car after every trip.

I did use one of those expensive electronic rust protection thingies in my Disco2 - had enough pads in there to supposedly protect a commercial truck. I'm not sure if it did anything - I still got rust in the parts where paint was scrapped off. The bolts holding the snorkle rusted quite a bit. $600 down the drain?

Despite all the claims and testimonials provided by the manufacturers, it appears that this electronic form of rust protection is only effective when the the metal being protected is submerged in water or is wet all the time. It doesn't work all that well on a dry vehicle. Google it and you'll get more info on this.

Cheers
 Disco3 SE MY08, Rear lockers, Dual air, Long range tank, Cargo barrier, Rear Wheel carrier, BFG Mud Terrains on steel wheels, Rhino Platform rack, Rhino Aero bars, Traxide/Optima Yellow Top, 'Ever Smiling' TPMS Very Happy , Rasta Front plate, ECB Nudge Bar, a whole garage full of camping toys....  
Post #36358822nd Oct 2008 11:23 pm
Dan W

Thanks Sonny,

From the limited replies but high number of views on the topic I was beggining to worry that I was the only one who had considered rust protection!

Think I will invest in some drive on ramps so I can really wash out underneath the truck.

As for Moreton i had a great trip. Rain over the weekend meant the tracks were quite good so it was a great first real off road test drive in the Disco. (some pics in my gallery)

My two lessons learned on the trip;
1) even thought Staun say their deflators are calibrated to 18 psi - this actually means somewhere between 8 and 18 psi!!, Shocked and
2) Tie things on the roof really well, and then tie some more (took me a broken tail light to learn that ) Big Cry
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #36372823rd Oct 2008 11:32 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Broke my level brake light backing into a concrete beam. Embarassed

Got a new one from Nick (Aka The Large One)
They are a pain to remove. I ended up crefully using a grinder (produced los of fairy floss Shocked )
Decided to get dealer to fit it as not sure what sealant to use, GTR says use a primer first. Glass fitter the dealer used didn't Rolling Eyes surprise surprise came off last week. They re-fitted after priming this time, so here hoping.
Can't remember how much but it wasn't a lot, but the little Aussie Battler is struggling now. Sad
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #36374423rd Oct 2008 12:37 pm
Dan W

Thanks Caver - I think I'll leave the fitting and removal up to the dealer.

I'm happy to take it off road but I wouldn't be keen to set foot near my pride and joy with a grinder......yet. Twisted Evil
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #36420424th Oct 2008 11:23 am
eran48

G'day everyone,

I know this is an old thread but I came across these two interesting articles on electronic rust prevention - some half way objective testing of these devices.

It pretty much confirms my own experience - electronic rust prevention for car is a hoax. Some of the manufacturers have the gall to charge over $600 for a box that does nothing.

Unfortunately, I was one of those silly Censored who fell for it many years ago when I had just purchased my shiny new Td5 and was just looking for toys to bolt to it.

http://www.krown.com/faqs/COMPARATIVE%20TE...RONIC2.pdf

http://ziebart.mb.ca/home/content/view/55/2/

Note that The above tests were commissioned by companies that make spray on / paint on rust protection - natural competitors to electronic rust prevention devices.

Cheers
 Disco3 SE MY08, Rear lockers, Dual air, Long range tank, Cargo barrier, Rear Wheel carrier, BFG Mud Terrains on steel wheels, Rhino Platform rack, Rhino Aero bars, Traxide/Optima Yellow Top, 'Ever Smiling' TPMS Very Happy , Rasta Front plate, ECB Nudge Bar, a whole garage full of camping toys....  
Post #39986210th Jan 2009 1:15 am
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yes.. i use the car ramp solution.. lots of water (have a tank luckily) and after a good hose down i have a Pope Walking Sprinkler that I let run the length of the car a couple of times underneath.

However, I still seem to get sand out a week later.

For those in Brisbane.. it's a king tide this morning. I have never seen it so high. Breakfast Creek was spilling over into the ICB tunnel near the Breakfast Creek Hotel.

The Disco got Salt Water on its bum in the city!

Cheers

Mark

P.S. Yes.. my stauns were all over the place out of the box.. I run them at 20.. what do you guys use?
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #39986610th Jan 2009 1:36 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think it would take long time for the D3 to rust. It has galvanised and Aluminium panels and the chassis is well coated.
Salt would speed it up a lot butif you only occasionally expose it to salt water just make sure you wash it well.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #39987410th Jan 2009 4:37 am
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

We use to steam clean our vehicles underneath over a pit,
then spray it with paraffin, before going to the beaches.
And a good clean on returning from the trip Thumbs Up
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #39987910th Jan 2009 7:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dan W

Mark, My Stauns are all over the place but now all around 18psi. I still have the standard Wranglers on, and at 18psi they feel unsinkable - I can stop, start and drive where, and as slow as I like!!

I've been thinking about setting 2 at 18psi and the other 2 at 34psi. Mostly for Straddie where your often moving from sand to black top. I use an ARB 12v compressor that doesn't have a gauge, so I was thinking that when i get back to the road, I go above road pressure and then put the staun on to get back down to correct road pressure - move on to the next tyre while it's coming down etc, then i still have 2 to get me back down to 18 for the sand.

I'll have to do a test to see if this works out quicker than compressor/gauge/compressor/gauge to get the right on-road pressure.
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #39988010th Jan 2009 8:04 am
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Your idea on the Stauns is good.. 2 hi and 2 lo.

I haven't had the D3 on Straddie yet.

A few years ago I took my Holden Cruze up the beach towing all the camping gear in a 6x4 box trailer.

It handled it Ok.. but when I came back, the rangers in their Yota were taking bets as to how far I would get through the soft stuff getting back up onto the road... the Cruze romped it in!

When I opened the bonnet to hook up the compressor.. all these "real" 4 wheel drives stopped to ask if I was in trouble! It was amazing where I could get it.

Now I have a C/T conversion on the same trailer (made by Starlight here in Brisbane) and the D3 lugs it anywhere.

I got a compressor from Super Cheap and it works well. Has a pressure gauge on it that is accurate enough to pump up and go home on. Once home, I wait until cold and check them with my real compressor and bourdon tube gauge.

Where abouts on Straddie do you go?

Cheers

Mark T
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #39989810th Jan 2009 10:15 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Helped a bloke down the road push his camper trailer into his backyard yesterday and he was telling me that he had the electronic rust prevention system installed and it was actually rusting under the patch.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #40025711th Jan 2009 11:53 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

All of the onshore natural gas and crude oil pipelines use the electrical method to protect corrosion (and it has to last 20-40 years). The big BUT is that there is a large anode bed which consists of a bunch of rods pounded in the ground about 12 metres, preferably where the ground is wet. The anodes corrode quickly but the cathode (the pipeline) if anything gets some metals plating on them. The key to this system working is that there has be an electrical circuit from the cathode (the D3) to the anode (the dodgy electrical thingy) and back to the cathode. Just putting them on a normally dry vehicle won't do any good.

On offshore pipelines and offshore platforms, copious quantities of magnesium anodes are welded onto things, but the anodes have to be submerged in sea water. The people who figure where to put these things are practitioners of a black art. If the anodes are incorrectly placed, corrosion greatly accelerates in the most unfriendly places.

Based on this, I can't see how installing electrical anti-corrosion devices (or chunks of magnesium) probably cause more harm than good, as they have to be earthed to bare D3 metal (ie, where the paint has been scraped away) to make contact and that's where lots of corrosion occurs.

Using 4 ramps and a good water blaster (keeping vigourous spray away from the electronics all over everywhere) is the best way to keep it all clean and shiny IMHO.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #40033211th Jan 2009 2:11 pm
Dan W

MarkT,

We normally stay in a unit at Point Lookout. It's up on top of the hill just off Tramican St so I can go down the hill straight on to Flinders, or back along Tramican down the dirt road and onto Home beach.

As a result I do a lot of airing up and down.

We haven't gone camping at Straddie as MrsW and the 2 tin lids are only just coming around to my idea of a good weekend. I've been to Moreton and camped but that was minus Mrs W and the girls.
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #40087312th Jan 2009 11:52 am
eran48

If I understand DingMark correctly, those little electronic doodads WILL work if we park the D3 underwater? Shocked
Post #40253615th Jan 2009 6:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >