Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Scandinavia 2017 Road Trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Don't forget to fill up in Germany, it's about 20p/ltr cheaper than in Sweden. Thumbs Up

Post #177094629th Jan 2017 1:37 pm
spikekellyrm

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Any advice RE car prep?

Germany-Denmark-Norway-Sweden-Finland, the following are requirements for at least one of those countries:

Winter Tyres marked M+S (BFG have both M+S and the 3 peak symbol)
Winter grade screen wash
Door seal lubricant? -not essential but noticed it's on the service schedule for Nordic markets
Headlight throw levers (though eurolite stickers may be easier than taking my spots off to remove the headlights)
Hi Vis Vest
Warning Triangle
Licence, Insurance Certificate, V5C,
Snow chains must be carried
A shovel must be carried
Extinguisher, Tow Strop, Jump leads

Anything I've not considered?
 D4.5 Facelift, Lazer ST4, Prospeed underbody and rack, IID BT, Compomotive/BFG KO2, Series MFlaps, RAI, Dog Gd+XBB, Alive Tuned, T-Max/YellowTop, RemoteFBH, GlassesMod, WheelWinchMod, Jack Mod, LED Mods, Seized Crank Mod....  
Post #177099629th Jan 2017 3:28 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

AA/RAC/Eurotunnel/Green Flag type recovery? If anything happens to tyeccar (that can't be fixed locally) up at the top it will cost you thousands to get it back. I've got Eurotunnel annual mult-trip cover, £99 for the year. Thumbs Up

Re tyres, 3 peaks on the BFGs is Thumbs Up

Post #177101029th Jan 2017 3:45 pm
smokietn

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

just a thought the road to north cape is closed until April so a snow mobile might be in order, also the roads up are not considered clear until June so you may well have to follow the snow ploughs.

Post #177180830th Jan 2017 10:21 pm
Parmenian

Guernsey 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just had a little read of this site. Very interesting...

https://en.m.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Driving_in_Norway

Post #177182230th Jan 2017 10:41 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

smokietn wrote:
just a thought the road to north cape is closed until April so a snow mobile might be in order, also the roads up are not considered clear until June so you may well have to follow the snow ploughs.

had a look at the Nordkapp web cam yesterday and fair amount of car and bus traffic parked up. Not sure there is a blanket closure. Just when conditions are too severe, often because of high winds. Thumbs Up

http://nordkapp.kystnor.no

Post #177182530th Jan 2017 10:43 pm
spikekellyrm

Phase 2. A general outline for route. Undecided whether to slip the Oslo to Frederikshavn ferry right one day and arrive home Saturday...

D4.5 Facelift, Lazer ST4, Prospeed underbody and rack, IID BT, Compomotive/BFG KO2, Series MFlaps, RAI, Dog Gd+XBB, Alive Tuned, T-Max/YellowTop, RemoteFBH, GlassesMod, WheelWinchMod, Jack Mod, LED Mods, Seized Crank Mod....  
Post #177186930th Jan 2017 11:26 pm
spikekellyrm

Ferry booked for the Wednesday, giving us an extra 24h. I'll be sick of camping after this!

I've just got the confirmation email and I typed Kellt instead of Kelly as passenger name. Don't know whether to try and amend it and get charged a fee (ticket is non refundable/non amendable) or just rock up at the port and hope they don't notice/care.
Post #17727571st Feb 2017 11:33 pm
marco 110

France 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice trip Thumbs Up

Take care , enjoy .
 Marco.
-D4 sdv6 HSE 2012 , high beam assist , surround cam, tv , and a lot of nice stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/user/marcsteph110?feature=mhum

Ex :
-90 td 1989
-110sw td5 2000
-D3 tdv6 SE 2006

Post #17727661st Feb 2017 11:43 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

spikekellyrm wrote:
Ferry booked for the Wednesday, giving us an extra 24h. I'll be sick of camping after this!

I've just got the confirmation email and I typed Kellt instead of Kelly as passenger name. Don't know whether to try and amend it and get charged a fee (ticket is non refundable/non amendable) or just rock up at the port and hope they don't notice/care.

Re name just tell them it's there mistake not your problem

Post #17727732nd Feb 2017 12:04 am
nickprice

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

For door seal lubricant I'd recommend silicone spray (well someone in the garage in Tromso recommended it when he saw we used Vaseline!). The Vaseline we used got all over our clothes. Confused

You can also use the silicone spray to get the car going in an emergency.

Make sure your FBH works, this helped us on the cold mornings to get going straight away. We also took a battery pack as insurance but never needed it.
 D3 SE with Hankook MT 275/65/R18, IID BT Tool, ProSpeed rock/tree sliders + compressor guard, RLD sump guard & winch tray + 13,000lb hidden winch, Gearbox guard, Frontrunner 80l aux tank with fuel gauge, V8 brake upgrade, Traxide USI-160 dual battery system, Frontrunner ladder, custom boot storage, Lazer LED driving lights, de-cat exhaust, Aftermarket Oro TPMS, i7 Mac Mini touch screen install (running Windows 10) mirrored on rear screens.  
Post #17728102nd Feb 2017 6:33 am
Disco George

United Kingdom 

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Something like this is certainly on my bucket list!

Have you heard of Campervan Culture? There's a guy called Jed that does loads of cool trips in his VW Syncro camper van. He has a great YouTube channel and did a great Norway trip. Enjoy!
 SWMBO's - '14 FL2 TD4 XS auto. SOLD.
Dingo - '99 Disco 2 V8 converted to 300 Tdi - chawton white. SOLD.
Sharky - '06 Disco 3 HSE - bonatti grey, with alpaca leather. SOLD.
George - '98 Disco 1 - willow green 300Tdi auto. A fantastic Land Rover. SOLD.
Pingu - '96 Defender 110 CSW - epsom green 300Tdi. Sadly turned out to be a lemon! GONE.[/color] 

Post #17728152nd Feb 2017 8:08 am
spikekellyrm

DG, Thanks for the tip off, this campervan culture is great. Some good ideas and advice
Post #17729822nd Feb 2017 2:32 pm
Disco George

United Kingdom 

Happy to help!

Thumbs Up
 SWMBO's - '14 FL2 TD4 XS auto. SOLD.
Dingo - '99 Disco 2 V8 converted to 300 Tdi - chawton white. SOLD.
Sharky - '06 Disco 3 HSE - bonatti grey, with alpaca leather. SOLD.
George - '98 Disco 1 - willow green 300Tdi auto. A fantastic Land Rover. SOLD.
Pingu - '96 Defender 110 CSW - epsom green 300Tdi. Sadly turned out to be a lemon! GONE.[/color] 

Post #17730032nd Feb 2017 3:07 pm
spikekellyrm

Quick update...

Firstly my leave was authorised - after I'd booked it! Whistle Got offered/told I had a 7 week job in the Falkland Islands starting next week, I had to politely decline. Pretty gutted about that really, always wanted to go, my Dad was there in '82. (the job involved a company D4 8) )

Split charge system purchased Shocked so will have to get round to fitting that at some point, along with some warranty work on PDC system, fitting rear diff guard that's been sat there ages and the fitting/balancing of the BFGs Thumbs Up
Various other bits and bobs purchased, some spares including a brake light switch, filters, ratchet straps, gas canisters.

Thanks again for the tip off RE campervan culture, their videos are the best I've come across but there are lots of other interesting ones for tips etc

Haven't really gone firm on a route yet, don't really want to be restricted. I do all my UK navigation on google maps so it would be sensible for some paper mapping. A road atlas would be the logical choice, may lack detail but it won't be possible to carry/afford enough lower(?) scaled maps.

Del, recommend an atlas/map book? I've searched RE phone coverage, what was your experience with that? You seemed to have enough to upload some photos to keep us all happy.

As you can probably tell, the excitement is building!
Post #17754637th Feb 2017 8:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >