Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Scandinavia 2017 Road Trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Re data, I used 3gb Three sim in the ipad, tethering to the phone. Coverage in Finland was excellent, mostly 3G, fair to middling in Norway (bit of 3G, some EDGE and bit of GPRS), and p away from the E4 pretty rubbish in Sweden. I also has data on my phone so different networks but pretty similar to Three coverage. I have a 24gig sim for this years trip, valid for 24 months, should be enough.

Re atlas, purely electronic plus a 20 year old shell atlas a small backup but never used. Being one up paper maps are not that useful. Google Maps was best and great for following dirt tracks where I'd missed my turn off (music too loud or Maps voice off). Voice guidance is really good and gives loads of info (roundabout exit, road number, where to etc) Also had TomTom but hardly used it. Just be aware with google maps it uses a lot of data, I was working on 100meg a day on long haul sections. Downloading chunks before you go is a good idea but make sure they are updated before you go, as I found out the hard way. Have a look at Maps.me ipad/iPhone app. It's free and maps are pretty accurate and again free, just download before you go. Plus you can use pins, it routes and you now get traffic green/amber/red flow warnings.

Post #17754957th Feb 2017 9:06 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Having spent 18 months over a 2 year period in the Falklands from 82 to 84, where you are going will provide far more excitement Thumbs Up

I've done quite a few road trips up that way in the winter months I found the following worked for me. I'm by no means an expert but so far we've always come back in one piece Laughing

Tyres, I've always used standard winter tyres. The main roads are usually cleared as soon as heavy snow falls (not so much in remote locations) The side roads off the beaten track which don't get much use are normally the soft powdery stuff, so they are normally fine. The ones to watch are the untreated roads that get a bit of traffic, that snow gets compacted and turns to ice and a 4x4 with snow tyres is as much use as a rear wheel drive on slicks if you approach these roads too enthusiastically.

I always put a bottle of the Diesel additive in on arrival to stop it waxing up.

Be prepared to hold the locals up as they have far more experience in these conditions and are often running studded tyres (Not really practical for the length of journey you are undertaking). Don't be embarrassed when an OAP goes thundering past you in their 1.0ltr Opel Corsa Embarassed

As I said I'm no expert and someone from the area will be along in a minute to tell me I'm doing it all wrong Big Cry But that's how I've found it on my trips.

Good luck and enjoy what is a truly spectacular area, especially in the winter Thumbs Up
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #17755167th Feb 2017 9:28 pm
spikekellyrm

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Split charge system ready for Lee's fridge Whistle 6 weeks today Thumbs Up
 D4.5 Facelift, Lazer ST4, Prospeed underbody and rack, IID BT, Compomotive/BFG KO2, Series MFlaps, RAI, Dog Gd+XBB, Alive Tuned, T-Max/YellowTop, RemoteFBH, GlassesMod, WheelWinchMod, Jack Mod, LED Mods, Seized Crank Mod....  
Post #177765912th Feb 2017 5:36 pm
Parmenian

Guernsey 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just what I'm considering now. Is it a T-max system? Did you fit it yourself?

Post #177767412th Feb 2017 5:58 pm
spikekellyrm

Yeah, got it done in two days with all the relocating of kit in the second battery box along with feeding cables under the floor to the back. Loads of good threads on it. Pretty easy really
 D4.5 Facelift, Lazer ST4, Prospeed underbody and rack, IID BT, Compomotive/BFG KO2, Series MFlaps, RAI, Dog Gd+XBB, Alive Tuned, T-Max/YellowTop, RemoteFBH, GlassesMod, WheelWinchMod, Jack Mod, LED Mods, Seized Crank Mod....  
Post #177768112th Feb 2017 6:05 pm
spikekellyrm

3 weeks to go.

Snow isn't looking too good but it has been the same all this winter. Eastern Sweden is at -7 whereas Nordkapp is -1 and northwest Norway -2 so we may come back down that same way.

There's a national park Vildmarksvägen, this seems the most promising for Snow.

Bought a few more bits this weekend, a water carrier for the car, collapsible camp sink/basin, grille, bits and bobs.

And a nice surprise bill from the indy, rear upper arms and bushes on both sides need doing ASAP and rear brake pipes also need doing £££ Big Cry
Post #178476727th Feb 2017 11:44 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Lots of snow at North Cape at the mo. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

http://www.nordkapp.tv

Post #178481628th Feb 2017 8:18 am
spikekellyrm

Very reassuring Del, just hope it's all still there in 3-6 weeks!
Post #17852551st Mar 2017 12:21 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Of course it will be, haven't you heard Donald Trump has banned global warming!! Laughing Laughing

Just keep watching the link. Thumbs Up

Looks fantastic today.

Click image to enlarge

This is on the mainland coast 20 miles south of the Vardø tunnel.

Click image to enlarge

Post #17852931st Mar 2017 8:34 am
DSL

Ukraine 

All looking fantastic at the mo, just like the above pics. Just watch out for the tourist buses for the cruise ships, they take no prisoners!!

Click image to enlarge

Post #17859122nd Mar 2017 1:19 pm
spikekellyrm

Can't come quick enough now! 3 weekends to go for prepping, 2 of them are pencilled in for a booze up and I'm pathetic on a sunday morning so that's two saturdays to prep.

Going to remove the step inserts off the prospeed sliders, stop snow building up on the steps and freezing doors shut,
Rear suspension arms and brake pipes are booked in,
Collect the rack when it's ready, hopefully soon,
Collect my tent from Ent,
Borrow some of his gear in exchange for favours...
Fit Rear Diff Gd,

Pack it all and have a test night too hopefully
Post #17861312nd Mar 2017 9:34 pm
spikekellyrm

We're now thinking of going Skiing whilst there, it'll take up 3 days and put more pressure on transit days but we feel it would be time well spent.

Anyone any experience of Skiing in Sweden? http://bjorkliden.com/en is the site, going to see if it's worth staying out of the resort and driving in, just paying for the ski pass, or if its worth getting a package for a few days.
Post #17862022nd Mar 2017 11:41 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

No idea re skiing as I tend to go there when it's a little bit warmer. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #17862082nd Mar 2017 11:58 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Boooootiful day there today.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #17867054th Mar 2017 8:58 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Exciting stuff! I'd love to do something like this, but can't get my Mrs to camp in summer, let alone winter north of the arctic circle!

Post #17867204th Mar 2017 9:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >