Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

NHS rant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
My point is that, whilst the monthly pay is, at least in the lower and middle ranks, nothing exceptional, what lifts it is the benefits. Benefits that most people employed in the private sector can only dream of. Holidays, sick pay, maternity pay, pension provision ...

For those that don't know..

Holiday pay after 10 years is 33 days plus BH.

Clinical staff (dependant on post) also get set amounts of study leave and professional leave.

Sick pay is 6 months on full pay and 6 months on half pay and then depending on your circumstances your job may well still be held for you. (I have had 1 day in the last 14 years and that was enforced due to it being d&V)

Not sure what mat leave is

And yes we still have a form of final salary pension.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #17159445th Oct 2016 8:51 pm
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I don't know what part of the private sector you are on about but if you are on a salary (as I am lucky to be) you should be entitled to paid hols (I get 21 days) maternity/paternity leave (it's a right) and statutory sick pay, and pension provision is now becoming a legal requirement for all staff.

Jnr Doc's say that yes, it affects their pay but also the change to working hours is what the patient safety is about. Knowing that a lot of hospital dept's work 24/7, I'd like to know which depts are supposed to be changing hours to become 24/7.

They need MORE staff to work on MORE wards allowing A&E to clear the cubicles quickly and get ambulances back out on the road after unloading patients. That said MORE Care facilities in the community would allow elderly patients (the majority of patients) to clear the wards and free up MORE beds too.
 Dave
D3 2006 HSE, Cairns Blue - gone
D4 2016 SE, White

Wessex 4x4 Response
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk/ 

Post #17159455th Oct 2016 8:52 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

APart from large employers (BP as a random example) the typical private sector setup is
- contribution-based pension (most final salary schemes, as the NHS has, either never existed or were abolished years ago as unaffordable)
- sick pay and maternity pay, the legal requirement is to pay at a fixed level (£113 pw? without checking), not what you currently earn. Some bigger employers will go 6 weeks full 6 weeks half before going down to the statutary minimum
- annual leave the statutory minimum is 20 days + BH. Some (by no means all) private sector employers will increase that for time in employment but I'm not aware of any that get up to NHS levels

And you typicaly find lots of incidental employment conditions (eg no subsidised canteens) that are worse than the NHS.

Post #17159525th Oct 2016 9:05 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

...for what it's worth. The best I could get to in terms of trying to pin down the organisational problem of the NHS is that the far bigger problem is the very complex societal problems the NHS is trying to deal with. From ignorant, unhealthy people clogging up A&E to wards full of lifestyle problems... But that in itself if just oversimplifying things!
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #17159555th Oct 2016 9:08 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

No subsidised canteens here in North Wales, we pay the same as Joe Public and have to fight them for a table!!
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #17159605th Oct 2016 9:10 pm
Brian_DL13

John C wrote:
...for what it's worth. The best I could get to in terms of trying to pin down the organisational problem of the NHS is that the far bigger problem is the very complex societal problems the NHS is trying to deal with. From ignorant, unhealthy people clogging up A&E to wards full of lifestyle problems... But that in itself if just oversimplifying things!

That I do agree with.

My DiL who, until last year, worked on a triage ward in a large regional hospital reckoned that if the drunks, druggies and mentally ill were excluded they'd have an admission rate a good bit less than half of what they have now. And what they did have would be lots easier to deal with.

Post #17159695th Oct 2016 9:22 pm
Brian_DL13

Mogwyth wrote:
No subsidised canteens here in North Wales, we pay the same as Joe Public and have to fight them for a table!!

A lot of hospitals (not all) in the NE appear to have subsidised cafes (which do have to be shared with the public). (I say this based on what they charge - 50p for a cup of tea for example)

Post #17159765th Oct 2016 9:36 pm
Brian_DL13

Brian_DL13 wrote:
APart from large employers (BP as a random example) the typical private sector setup is
- contribution-based pension (most final salary schemes, as the NHS has, either never existed or were abolished years ago as unaffordable)
- sick pay and maternity pay, the legal requirement is to pay at a fixed level (£113 pw? without checking), not what you currently earn. Some bigger employers will go 6 weeks full 6 weeks half before going down to the statutary minimum
- annual leave the statutory minimum is 20 days + BH. Some (by no means all) private sector employers will increase that for time in employment but I'm not aware of any that get up to NHS levels

And you typicaly find lots of incidental employment conditions (eg no subsidised canteens) that are worse than the NHS.

I've just dug out the ToE for my son, who is married to a nurse and in a skilled job with a company that has around 50 employees, bringing home roughly the same pay. He considers them to be a good employer. Some highlights:

8.1 The Employee is entitled to the equivalent of 5.6 weeks annual leave inclusive of public holidays, that is 20 days holiday plus 8 public holidays; with incremental increase of 1 day per year up to a maximum of 25 days holiday.

10.1 The Employer does not pay contractual sick pay.

11.1 The Employer does provide an occupational pension scheme.

17.1 The Employer reserves the right put the Employee on lay off or short-time working depending on the needs of the Employer’s business.
17.2 Where the Employee is placed on lay off, this will be paid at the statutory rate in force from time to time.

Where the Employer pays the costs of training and the Employee terminates his employment for whatever reason or is dismissed by the Employer as a result of disciplinary action then the Employee will be required to refund the costs of any training as follows:
Termination of employment within 12 months of completing training 100% of cost

... and so on

Compare and contrast Whistle

Oh, and I just looked up the rate of SSP. This is from the government website:

You can get £88.45 per week Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you’re too ill to work. It’s paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks.

That equates to £4599 per annum.

Post #17159805th Oct 2016 9:41 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

As part of my job I manage A&E flow and am one of the senior managers that gets such a good deal (apparently) and therefore very knowledgable on this subject but I'm not going to comment due to the tone taken by some members towards NHS staff. Quite disappointing tbh.

Post #17159865th Oct 2016 9:58 pm
AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan

Wales 

Mogwyth wrote:

Same in my part of West Yorkshire, and staff have to pay for car parking - in a field, with a couple of inches of gravel, on a slope - mind you, everywhere's on a slope in this city - it was good for the wool fettlers.

Dog Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Dog

Post #17160065th Oct 2016 10:38 pm
AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan

Wales 

DigitalJunior wrote:
As part of my job I manage A&E flow and am one of the senior managers that gets such a good deal (apparently) and therefore very knowledgable on this subject but I'm not going to comment due to the tone taken by some members towards NHS staff. Quite disappointing tbh.

Thumbs Up And million upon million of us, tho' we do moan from time to time, are WITH you all the way. Thumbs Up
Without you and your teams, the medics just wouldn't be able to do the superb jobs they do as they rush from one 'case' to the next, always knowing that the notes will be there, the patient is the patient expected, etc, etc

AAA Bow down

Post #17160105th Oct 2016 10:50 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

For the past 20 years I have been working in the Medical Devices market supplying the NHS and other national healthcare services globally. I have seen and engaged with many diffrent healthcare services both at the sharp end with those delivering care and at the political end with those ministers providing the direction and funds.

The NHS is not perfect, but then very few buisnesses are perfect either, however, bang for buck it is truly amazing what it delivers. It will always be there for you and your loved ones whatever.

What I would like to see is a resetting of peoples expectations on what it can deliver, a broader and more open appreciation that there are other care providers that can deliver quality of services outside of the UK and more joined up thinking about the cost of healthcare and lifestyle choices.

For example, diabetes consumes nearly 20% of the NHS budget directly and indirectly. Making cheap, crappy food more expensive, educating the public, reinroducing school sports and withdrawing core services from those that abuse the system would go a long way to help reset peoples understanding on how their behaviour impacts the NHS and themselves.

You can add into this diet for bowel disesae, alcohol abuse, drug abuse etc etc etc. We need to make people accountable and reset their expectaions on what the NHS can deliver.

Stop knocking it and support the staff running it. We are very lucky to have it. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #17160245th Oct 2016 11:25 pm
J77

Scotland 

DigitalJunior wrote:

Yes but it's even more disappointing when a relative is neglected by NHS staff who are paid to care. My gran was dying (they admitted they knew) yet they thought it was a good idea to send her to another hospital to learn how to make herself a f Censored king cup of tea and toast, FFS, a dying woman, she got rushed back the same night and she slowly slipped away over the next 5 days. Another woman in my grans ward in her 80s, blind, her dinner just left lying on her table well out of reach, not one nurse bothered to help her, my mum fed her, the nurses too busy standing around planning their Friday night.

It was disgusting to see a woman who I was very close to being treated like a second class citizen. She never stole time of anyone and in her time of need the NHS failed her. A lot more errors happened but I won't go into.

There are a lot of good ones but it's difficult when a relative has received poor standards of care to look past the bad ones.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #17160285th Oct 2016 11:33 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
Yes but it's even more disappointing when a relative is neglected by NHS staff who are paid to care.

I had a similar experience with a close relative and it was disgusting to watch.

Personally, being able to afford private health insurance will be the last thing I give up, even as I run out of money. The disco will be long gone before then...

I realise much of the staff and care is exactly the same as the NHS next door, but I've found there's a difference in attitude and approach that's definitely worth paying for. My wife had a cancer scare last year... NHS wanted her to wait 3 weeks just for the initial tests. Privately, everything was done and sorted within 3 days... obviously negative, but can you imagine what three weeks of not knowing does to a person mentally?

Having to be all 'grateful' when we receive competent service from the NHS is getting very tedious. It's just an insurance scheme that we all have to pay for (and quite a considerable sum for many and their employers). As the customers, we should be able to criticise when we don't think we're getting the service we've paid for.

As for letting the professionals design the solution... look what happened when Labour let GP's and the BMA run circles around them negotiating their deal !!! Outrageous sums of money for less work and not a care for patients. We're still paying the price today and will be for many years.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #17160796th Oct 2016 8:45 am
AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan

Wales 

Rolling with laughter

Post #17160936th Oct 2016 9:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>