Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

NHS rant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

al cope wrote:
And privatisation isn't always the answer, as in this case there shouldn't be any profit going to shareholders, it should all be going on patient care.

It's a nice thought, but if you give shareholders a profit and in the end get a better service than you otherwise would for doing so, then that is still better. That's not to say it's easily done, but in principle, it's still fair game. If the NHS is draining huge amounts of value away from patients, then it either ends up in the private sector or in the hands of employees (not literally), who then spend in in the private sector, so... Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #17157045th Oct 2016 1:43 pm
al cope

England 

@ daftlad - thats what I'm saying, everyone we saw just looked demoralised (and I guess this is how your missus feels), so its no wonder that this permeates through the organisation, and the outcome is, what looks to the public, a poor service at, in our case A&E.

Like others here, I have seen much better levels of service from other places within the NHS, but I would say that these are in departments away from A&E, where I guess there is less pressure and possibly more time.

The problem is that A&E is where some urgency being shown is whats needed, as that's where you head when in need.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #17157125th Oct 2016 2:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Riccardo

Portugal 

Heard that there was a target for A&E to have all the patients seen within a certain timeframe (I think it was 2 hours).
Had to go for an ice skating accident at the local A&E and had the X-Ray done within 2 hours (friday evening with A&E not really full)

Interestingly they just let me go saying they could not see anything big without even a bandage (they had to give me a painkiller) only to discovery later that one of the ligament was broken and had heavy internal bleeding Shocked Shocked

They are understaffed but also had the feeling they are not organuised

Had to go a few years ago with my young daughter to the A&E and I still remember I was impressed by the structure and completeness of medical record material. Unfortunatly every time there was a change in nurses and doctors I had to say again all the history and what happened so I guess nobody was really using it (and they managed also to give the wrong treatment because they were not readying the medical record)

To be fair I had experience in other countries for me or family members and I have to say it is not really much better
 It takes all sorts (to make a world).

D3 HSE LHD gone but not forgotten 

Post #17157175th Oct 2016 2:15 pm
al cope

England 

there is a target, I was told its 4hrs - which when I asked why we were over that they just shrugged there shoulders and say there was nothing they could do about it

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #17157375th Oct 2016 2:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Riccardo

Portugal 

Guess that also depends on how they classify the case and the workload

When I was in A&E, our nurses were giving different codes (colours) defining the priorities

Post #17157405th Oct 2016 2:48 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Errr....no

Brian_DL13 wrote:
Of course, the elephant in the room here is that NHS staff - at all levels - are, these days, pretty well remunerated (some extremely well remunerated) when you take into account the gold-plated pension and benefits they have. In that context I have to admit that the posturing of the junior doctors annoys me somewhat Rolling Eyes

NHS staff aren't that well remunerated - do some asking & some comparisons for graduate & non graduate positions ..... junior doctors range from newly qualified "F1's" right up to just before becoming a consultant ...... that can easily be people well into there late 40's
Remember they have lives outside of work.....mortgages, families & aspirations.....

The "posturing" description isn't to me fair.....the ones who have spoken out have been articulate, accurate & honest in saying it isn't about remuneration totally...it's about patients.

But where else would a contract be imposed that reduced take home pay, increased hours & had built in weekend & night work at no extra premium ?
If you could see my younger daughters roster for a large London teaching hospital you would be amazed at her working week hours....in context a cleaner on the LU gets a higher take home pay.....she has people's lives in her hands.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #17157665th Oct 2016 3:41 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

PaulJC wrote:
on an actual ambulance and then having to stand in a hospital corridor for 3 hours until the patient can be offloaded...

last week I had message that my mother had suffered a mild stroke and was in hospital, worried I tried to find out what happened from Family there; it turned out my older brother happened to be visiting when it started.
they called medical aid, who sent paramedics, and then 2 nurses turned up, and then an ambulance; all with very short time. they gave oxygen and said hospital would be needed for a scan; as they loaded her up the ambulance driver said they would take her to Northampton as Banbury was locked down. Confused
since then I heard the full story that Banbury was so busy the ambulances were queuing in the car park no space inside Shocked

for my Mum she was seen straight on arrival in Northampton but I feel sorry for those that were stuck in ambulances.

amazing here in Czech there seems very little wait time and while the outside building may not look much they do have up to date equipment.

(actually when I damaged my inner ear, I was sent to the army medical hospital and one of the test equipment PC was booted up it was running window 95 Shocked ; but the test equipment works perfect)
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #17157835th Oct 2016 4:17 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

The problem was the CT scan. They are in use 24/7, believe it or not. At night there is limited trained staff to operate it. Doesn't matter how quick or slow A&E staff are if the thing holding it all up is the CT scan.

Post #17158945th Oct 2016 7:36 pm
PaulJC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Sadly ambulances queuing outside hospital is becoming the 'norm' as opposed to an exception, this as you can imagine has effects down the line leaving not enough vehicles to cover the call demand and inevitable delays on pending ambulance arrival...

Now don't get me wrong, the pay isn't terrible, you get a half decent holiday allowance IF you can get any approved, you also get a pension and sick pay... BUT you also have enforced night shifts, weekends, bank holidays, christmas and new year...

It's a sad state of affairs that I can earn more money stacking shelves in the local tesco, with the same benefits, than I get working for an NHS ambulance trust and doing what is involved, 99.9% of people don't go in to any kind of health care for the money thats for certain...

Post #17158965th Oct 2016 7:38 pm
Riccardo

Portugal 

The Dundonian wrote:
The problem was the CT scan. They are in use 24/7, believe it or not. At night there is limited trained staff to operate it. Doesn't matter how quick or slow A&E staff are if the thing holding it all up is the CT scan.

That is true but we had a dedicated personnel available on call for that the problem is that it was not always easy to convince them to come Wink

Post #17158985th Oct 2016 7:49 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

We're currently undergoing a really bad run of luck - various family members been in hospital and sadly passed away over the last few months. In the last month, I've been in for a week with some crazy leg infection that came from nowhere, my wife is currently in waiting for reconstructive surgery on her hand following a freak accident when one of our dogs bolted and she was holding the lead really loosely... and I'm typing this from my 5 year old's bedside who was rushed in a couple of nights ago and is currently quite seriously poorly after an op to remove an appendix which was very complicated.

So, spent more than enough time in hospital over the last few months and been exposed to an enormous variety of services from paeds through to elderly paliative care... orhopaedics, HDICU and more...

I also think (without being too arrogant) that since my student days as a hospital porter and since having run a decent number of successful businesses with varying staff numbers over the last few years I'd have a pretty good idea as to how to run a decent team and organisation.

I've had loads of observations that I tried to get my head around (I've had a lot of time)... the incredible foreign doctors/nurses who are constantly talked down to by other staff... the seemingly time wasteful processes... the comms/reporting... some awful white underclass patients... some arrogant god-like consultants... the lack of empowerment... pressure...

Where I got to was that anyone that thinks they know how to fix it, or who can get their head around such an extraordinarily complex organisation doesn't know what they're talking about (and honestly this isn't directed at any of the previous posters!!!).

I genuinely have no idea what on earth anyone can do to fix it. It is such an extraordinarily complex problem.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #17159115th Oct 2016 8:09 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The NHS is not perfect, its wastes money, there are too many engrained cultures of them and us, not just between clinicians and management but also between clinical departments, too much reward for failure for both clinicians and management, it really does need a kick-up the butt. But the reality is that 99% of the time the NHS works and provides the service people need when they need it.

Yes there are some incompetent managers but equally there are managers who as dedicated as the clinical staff they support and often on even worse remuneration as usually all they get for extra hours is time owing if you can find the time to take it. equally there are clinicians and nurses who are only interested in their pay packet and doing the minimum and for whom patients are an inconvenience. In other words all NHS staff are a typical mix of humanity some bad, some run of the mill, some good and some bloody amazing!
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #17159185th Oct 2016 8:16 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

John C wrote:

I also think (without being too arrogant) that since my student days as a hospital porter and since having run a decent number of successful businesses with varying staff numbers over the last few years I'd have a pretty good idea as to how to run a decent team and organisation.

I've had loads of observations that I tried to get my head around (I've had a lot of time)... the incredible foreign doctors/nurses who are constantly talked down to by other staff... the seemingly time wasteful processes... the comms/reporting... some awful white underclass patients... some arrogant god-like consultants... the lack of empowerment... pressure...

Where I got to was that anyone that thinks they know how to fix it, or who can get their head around such an extraordinarily complex organisation doesn't know what they're talking about (and honestly this isn't directed at any of the previous posters!!!).

I genuinely have no idea what on earth anyone can do to fix it. It is such an extraordinarily complex problem.

Thumbs Up

I joined the NHS 14 years ago after being self employed or senior manager in the private sector. I had hoped to be part of the solution, after a few years I become involved in Theatres primarily information and systems but also involved in various theatre productivity improvement schemes over the years and I can honestly say we haven't made it worse but sometimes I feel that I have just become part of the problem!
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #17159245th Oct 2016 8:31 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Errr....no

BLFarrar wrote:
Brian_DL13 wrote:
Of course, the elephant in the room here is that NHS staff - at all levels - are, these days, pretty well remunerated (some extremely well remunerated) when you take into account the gold-plated pension and benefits they have. In that context I have to admit that the posturing of the junior doctors annoys me somewhat Rolling Eyes

NHS staff aren't that well remunerated - do some asking & some comparisons for graduate & non graduate positions ..... junior doctors range from newly qualified "F1's" right up to just before becoming a consultant ...... that can easily be people well into there late 40's
Remember they have lives outside of work.....mortgages, families & aspirations.....

The "posturing" description isn't to me fair.....the ones who have spoken out have been articulate, accurate & honest in saying it isn't about remuneration totally...it's about patients.

But where else would a contract be imposed that reduced take home pay, increased hours & had built in weekend & night work at no extra premium ?
If you could see my younger daughters roster for a large London teaching hospital you would be amazed at her working week hours....in context a cleaner on the LU gets a higher take home pay.....she has people's lives in her hands.

My BiL is a GP, my daughter in law is a nurse, my neighbour is a nurse, I have a friend who is a medical secretary and another who is a midwife. So I reckon I have a reasonable feel for this.

My point is that, whilst the monthly pay is, at least in the lower and middle ranks, nothing exceptional, what lifts it is the benefits. Benefits that most people employed in the private sector can only dream of. Holidays, sick pay, maternity pay, pension provision ...

And I'm sorry, the junior doctors trying to label their fight about pay as being about patient safety just doesn't wash. Even the BMA have abandoned that one.

Post #17159275th Oct 2016 8:34 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Sorry Brian, you don't have a reasonable feel for this, your actually talking Bol Censored locks. I can only imagine anyone working for the NHS and knows you is cringing reading your comments. Rolling Eyes

Post #17159405th Oct 2016 8:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >