Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Should I buy a D5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>
chugga90

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Or
“why are JLR such tools”?

Would cover all aspects. Whistle
 Discovery commercial tdv6 auto 2013
Volkswagen t6 lwb Kombi dsg 4motion 2018
Volkswagen t5.1 lwb single cab tipper 2013
Discovery commercial sdv6 auto 2014 gone and not really missed.
Range Rover Tdv8 gone
Freelander 2 I6 very sadly gone
VW t5 Dsg gone and missed 

Post #200106916th Nov 2018 8:24 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Or ' I'm not a yummy mummy, will I look out of place driving a D5?'
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #200107116th Nov 2018 8:29 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Such sharp wit so early on too. Laughing

Post #200107616th Nov 2018 9:06 am
Dan_NL

I don't hate it ! Its just too expensive for what it is. And JLR did not got hold of the demands
the client base makes for this series of cars. They even eliminated essential aspects that
clients cherished. Then you do grow a lot of resent. Not hate.

Post #200109016th Nov 2018 10:28 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

But aren’t sales at least on par to D4 allowing for some variance (reduction) due to dieselgate, brexit, consumer confidence in economy (or lack of), etc? Whistle

(They are so clearly someone is buying the vehicle even if the traditional buyers are unhappy)

Post #200109416th Nov 2018 10:38 am
jimbg

United Kingdom 

Assuming that it is a serious question then I think it is fair to ask the question here and you will get feedback from D3/4 owners on why they have not bought one.

The question should also be asked on the Disco5 forum to find out why they did and how they are getting on.

Post #200109516th Nov 2018 10:41 am
Dan_NL

kajtzu wrote:
..But aren’t sales at least on par to D4...

There is a small rise in sales in 2011, but then 60% of sales then are commercial vehicles [ no rear seats and a seperation wall between cargo space and two front seats].
They are 50% of the price of the regular cars and pay 20% of the roadtax.

Not where I am coming from. Sales are now roughly 30% of D3 sales in comparable economic climate in the Netherlands [ data from www.autoweek.nl ];

Post #200109716th Nov 2018 10:53 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If I was in the market for a large & new 4x4, which I’m not, why would I not consider a D5? OK, it’s a bit of a minger in the looks department, but that wouldn’t necessarily stop me. I no longer go tromping over the muddy bits, so don’t need to be in “proper” 4x4. Or even need a 4x4. Price would stop me, it’s way too expensive for not gaining much extra (IMHO). It’s got some fancy tech, but tech (like sunroofs) is not something LR seem to be any good at. If I want toys, or a PHEV/hybrid I’d look elsewhere, even once LR eventually get their slow ar$es into gear bring something out. No way would I want to be their guinea pig. Plus I wouldn’t touch the 3.0 engine with a barge pole because of the FIO problems. How peeps put up with that cr@p I’ll never understand, so it’s a choice of buying the one with the sewing machine engine or not. Not a difficult choice. If that’s not fixed (which it doesn’t look like it can be) then servicing every few thousand miles is not acceptable, prob at owner’s cost (blaming their owner’s driving style), and god help them when it comes to resale values. Plus has the crank been changed in that engine cf the D4? Seeing LR’s attitude towards that, and other brand issues, has put me off running a LR full stop. I know peeps will say all “they are all the same” but at least I’m not wasting my money on JLR. When I’m buying a car my hard earned can go to a car at or near the top of the reliability league, not the bottom, so less chance of finding out if they are as bad or not.

My thought, other opinions out there as it’s a free country. If I’ve offended anyone, tough, get over it. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #200110416th Nov 2018 11:38 am
Dan_NL

DSL.

I consider myself as an 'anglofile' . I love a lot about Brittan and we have many English friends,
also Irish and Welsh. We love the UK to visit, but then we go to rural parts or west London.

And I find this a bit in the JLR products, a kind of 'belonging' . Smile

Now I'm of Dutch descent, not a fiber or bit in DNA is British. Laughing

What about supporting the UK economy, doesn't that comes in anywhere in the equation ?

Post #200110816th Nov 2018 11:49 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Agreed with the “belonging” bit, considering I’ve had a LR or RR on the drive pretty much constantly since 1989, they perfectly fitted what I wanted. No longer. Re supporting the economy, it’s an Indian company that is soon going to make the D5 in E Europe, I’m not sure what that’s going to do for the British economy. Besides, I think I’ve done my bit with 16 or so LRs, many from new. Thumbs Up

Post #200111216th Nov 2018 11:58 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Dan_NL wrote:
DSL.

I consider myself as an 'anglofile' . I love a lot about Brittan and we have many English friends,
also Irish and Welsh. We love the UK to visit, but then we go to rural parts or west London.

What about supporting the UK economy, doesn't that comes in anywhere in the equation ?

We can only second the above about Beadles Sidcup - We purchased our D4 from them in October 2010 - delivered in January 2011 -and they have maintained it for us ever since and now we have a terrible dilemma do we get a new Jaguar (fancy the Sportbrake) or the new D5.

At present we still have our Airstream 532 caravan and the D4 makes an excellent tug with it's enormous load carrier capabilities so we assume the D5 will be the same!

On the other hand the all new V6 Sportbrake seems to have almost the same load abilities and is up to towing our 1800 KG caravan.

What a terrible situation we have!

LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #200111316th Nov 2018 12:05 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The Dundonian wrote:
Why not rename the post, “why I hate the D5” it would be more apt and understandable with all the vitriol kicking about.

I dont think anyone actaully hates it and I would say if you have not owned one you cannot really hate is as you dont have first hand experience of the car, same as the apple and dyson haters.

Post #200113316th Nov 2018 1:13 pm
Pelyma

England 

Ted Newman wrote:
Dan_NL wrote:
DSL.

We can only second the above about Beadles Sidcup - We purchased our D4 from them in October 2010 - delivered in January 2011 -and they have maintained it for us ever since and now we have a terrible dilemma do we get a new Jaguar (fancy the Sportbrake) or the new D5.

At present we still have our Airstream 532 caravan and the D4 makes an excellent tug with it's enormous load carrier capabilities so we assume the D5 will be the same!

On the other hand the all new V6 Sportbrake seems to have almost the same load abilities and is up to towing our 1800 KG caravan.

What a terrible situation we have!

No competition I'd have the D5, the extra weight will make towing so much better. (Assuming the D5 is considerably heavier!)
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #200114216th Nov 2018 1:43 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

lynalldiscovery wrote:
I dont think anyone actaully hates it and I would say if you have not owned one you cannot really hate is as you dont have first hand experience of the car, same as the apple and dyson haters.

To be fair, I hate the D5.

I’ve never owned one, but having driven over half a dozen examples over a total of nearly 10,000 miles, I’d say that’s enough to form a fair opinion Thumbs Up

On the other hand, I’ve owned a lot of iPhones and have a love/hate relationship with them (edging ever closer to “hate” since iOS12 blundered it’s way onto my phones Evil or Very Mad ), while I’ve owned nothing but Dysons since my first DC01 in 1994 and love them. The verdict’s still out on James Dyson himself though...
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #200122816th Nov 2018 8:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Love mine 8)

Post #200123316th Nov 2018 8:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >