DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

B.A.S intelligent FBH controller fitted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 22 123 ... 202122>
geoff.

England 
B.A.S intelligent FBH controller fitted

One of pete,s fbh remotes fitted.

been speaking with Pete for a while and he,s asked me to test and fit one of his prototype FBH remotes to see how easy it is and to test it for him,

well it took all of about 30 mins and thats with coffee break and cutting out for where i wanted to fit it see pictures below.

the said items
Click image to enlarge

and where i wanted to fit it
Click image to enlarge

under side of battery tray top
Click image to enlarge

where i cut into the FBH loom
Click image to enlarge

all wired in and running
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

the prototype you see as buttons on the outside the finished item wont it will be worked by the key fob and will have only one multi colour led.

what i liked was the fact you could open the doors and it dont cut out, it cuts out when you start the engine or after a set time which mine is 30 mins

ps pete i think you got this just right well done mate Thumbs Up

must add that for a non leccy person like me who really dont like cutting wires this was so simple to fit and i would be quite happy to help anybody fit one Thumbs Up

Last edited by geoff. on 6th Aug 2011 11:32 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8234956th Aug 2011 5:41 pm
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Looking good Thumbs Up

Geoff that new battery box cover, are they bigger than the original ones? looks different Whistle

Darrell

Post #8234976th Aug 2011 5:56 pm
geoff.

England 

no darrell exactly the same and only a tenner plus vat Thumbs Up

geoff

Post #8234986th Aug 2011 5:59 pm
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Oh ok,

Just thought they looked slightly taller Whistle must be my hallucinations from sleep deprivation Rolling with laughter

Post #8235006th Aug 2011 6:06 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Cutting into the loom looks a little drastic, but I guess that is a prototype issue. Is the final version going to plug directly into the FBH or have a more discrete method of installation and where did the other 2 wires terminate?

Looking forward to the launch of the final version!
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #8235036th Aug 2011 6:26 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: B.A.S intelligent FBH controller fitted

geoff. wrote:
what i liked was the fact you could open the doors and it dont cut out, it cuts out when you start the engine or after a set time which mine is 30 mins

Is this the difference between the std set up Pete does?

Oh and is it also operated by phone [like my old one was] as well as remote?
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #8235086th Aug 2011 7:11 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I think this thread needs linking to the site sponsor thread to make sense:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic67347.html
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #8235096th Aug 2011 7:14 pm
ronp

Thanks Robbie, questions now answered.

Thumbs Up

To help others I've taken the liberty of posting Pete's explanations from that thread.

bellautos wrote:
Bell Auto Services is pleased to announce here first the launch of a brand new Fuel Burning Heater Controller, initially for the LR Disco 3 and RRS diesel model cars. Kit 1 will be available and in stock a couple of weeks after Billing show. Prototype viewable at Billing show.

Ideal for warming your engine on cold winter mornings while sat in the comfort of your house, removing the need to go outside and start your engine to defrost the car !

BAS has listened to customers requests and produced a product that will start your fuel burning heater without you having to physically start your engine.

The intelligent controller works by establishing communication with the FBH and reading its status, voltage, temperature and other details. It then issues the commands needed to start the heater and finally checks that the heater has started correctly.
If the heater fails to start then the controller will automatically clear old faults if necessary and attempt to restart a total of 3 times.

All versions are able to manually control fuel pump priming process of the heaters diesel pump if needed, which previously meant a visit to the Webasto dealership or your local LandRover dealership if you don’t have access to diagnostic tools yourself.

The Intelligent FBH Controller will be available in a number of versions:

• Kit1: Basic, press button to start, press button to stop, with built in RF controlled two channel hand held “plip” for remote start and stop also allowing capability to add your own GSM box.

• Features as standard, “start stop” plip, “start stop” via on box button, 3 times restart attempt after fail, FBH fuel pump prime via button on box.

• Kit2: Built in RF as above in Kit1 but with the added functionality of a GSM controller that gives a zero cost “dial to start” option. It also provides you with full integration via text message control for status reports and fault codes on demand. Still in development but can be sold as an upgrade to Kit1.

• Features, “dial to start” by GSM, “dial to stop” By GSM, Heater Status reports by SMS, Fault code number by SMS, a spare GND timed output which could be used to control a heated screen relay for example (2nd battery advised), Low battery heated screen switch off, Battery warning by SMS as well as the possibility of 4 phone numbers having access to control it. (SMS reports to only 1 of the numbers)

The controller is designed to start the FBH heater independently of the vehicle’s CAN bus system so you can lock and unlock the doors without it stopping the run process, It can also be wired if needed to switch off the heater when the ignition is turned on.

We are still working on the function list that Kit 2 will provide and any suggestions are welcome. One idea is to command the unit via text message to heat until a certain water temperature is reached, EG 85 deg C. Our tame programmer likes a challenge so tell us what you want and we will see if it can be implemented!

Pete
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #8235146th Aug 2011 7:39 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Here are a few pictures of the production model kit1 installed on my wifes D3.

The module has 4 wires.
12V
GND
FBH
Antenna

The first picture is the 12V to battery and will come with a ring terminal on as you see in the picture.

Click image to enlarge

The second picture is of the GND point, i used the GND post on the inner wing and again the kit will come with a ring terminal fitted.

Click image to enlarge

The Green wire in the above picture goes to pin 2 of the FBH. It can be connected as seen in Geoffs picture if you wish to the existing red wire that is redundant and not used and is already located at pin 2 on most models up to 2006. It will also come with a loose pin2 terminal for use in the original Webasto connector if you choose this connection method or dont have the red wire fitted already.

Last but not least is a picture of where the kit1 module will fit with ease, plenty of other locations available if you wish but this is a tidy space for it under the battery cover.

The overall size of the unit is only 23mm x 54mm x 80mm so is very small and compact.

The LED you see on the case of the module is an information/operation LED and does not need to be on perminant view after install, Its a tri color LED and can show Green, Red and a mixture of the 2 giving Orange.

Click image to enlarge

As you see from the pics above and Geoffs comments the install is really simple and can be done in only a few mins with 10MM Spanner/Socket and a small flat screw driver.

Build of stock is nearly complete and i expect to be posting a thread with availability on Monday for shipping Tuesday/Wednesday. I will also have these available at the Stoneleigh Landrover Show next weekend.

Pete

Last edited by bellautos on 8th Aug 2011 2:15 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8235406th Aug 2011 9:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geoff.

England 

Robbie wrote:
Cutting into the loom looks a little drastic, but I guess that is a prototype issue. Is the final version going to plug directly into the FBH or have a more discrete method of installation and where did the other 2 wires terminate?

Looking forward to the launch of the final version!

Robbie

the other 2 wires are pos and neg on battery as for cutting into the loom i found that a little neater then running the green wire upto the FBH plug and have a load of spare wire showing .

as for a more discrete method of installation how discrete woukd you like it Whistle

geoff

Post #8235556th Aug 2011 11:41 pm
geoff.

England 

tested again this morning runs faultlessly.

30 mins running time and car temp upto normal running temp so very pleased Thumbs Up

geoff

Post #8235987th Aug 2011 11:02 am
ronp

I thought the temperature had to be below 5 degrees before the FBH operates.
Does this system override that ?
Post #8235997th Aug 2011 11:09 am
geoff.

England 

yes ron it seems to Whistle all i know Ron is it switches on when i want it to and off when told or you can leave it to run its cycle Thumbs Up

i,m sure pete can explain it much better then me Thumbs Up

geoff

Post #8236007th Aug 2011 11:14 am
flydive

Switzerland 

I believe the 5C limitation is only for the automatic function.

With the Danhag GSM kit I have on mine and the BAS kit you can start it without limitations

Post #8236027th Aug 2011 11:23 am
geoff.

England 

think your spot on there Flydive they give you the ability to switch on when needed and also to turn off.

geoff

Post #8236067th Aug 2011 11:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 22 123 ... 202122>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >