Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

FACT - Apple ARE the best in the world
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Riccarton Disco

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Oh, can I just add that I have nothing against Apple products or Android products!

See that fence? - see me sat on it? - I'm comfy Rolling with laughter

Post #134671423rd Sep 2014 7:47 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Apple rivals in disarray, they cannot compete with 64-bit iPhone 6/Plus:

http://macdailynews.com/2014/09/22/apples-...one-6plus/

Post #134672323rd Sep 2014 8:01 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

angle fire wrote:
....If you want standard office type functions, then pages etc is fine - doesn't work for me on the iPad as I use a lot of automation and macro's - I can't even filter on "Numbers" to limit the visible rows or columns.

I didn't buy SWMBO'd an iPad as originally the cut down versions of Pages,numbers etc....didn't to me seem like serious versions compared to the Mac versions (& still arent)....if I want & need to do serious business functions other than display pictures & video clips...a iMac or Mac book to me are the solution as you have the regular keyboard

angle fire wrote:
have to be free/cheap because it is based on UNIX/Linux and the license doesn't allow them to. (As I understand anyway!).....

Mac OS's are based on Linux logic but I dont believe have any licence cost / regulations that makes them low cost or free...they are low cost as Apple have chosen the low cost or no cost rote to OS's & software as opposed to costly versions that are pirated & it means everyone moves together with capable software with improvements

angle fire wrote:
upgraded my MacBook's OS - wished I hadn't bothered, it is now painfully slow. Wish I could get it back to what it was previously as it is now almost un-usable - no warning that it wasn't suitable for my hardware...

which OS version have you come from / to ?...you do have aMac that has an Intel processor ?......none have made my Mac's any slower I have used all that have been provided in the last 6 years
.....realise you do have the option to roll back to the previous OS
Speed...also try using free-memory pro application to analyse the RAM segregation first...its free & sorts the lack of speed due maybe to RAM issues...I have used this maybe every week or so a couple of OS's ago...its the only system sorting software I have had to gat & use....

Also take you Mac to the apple store - the advice & assistance is very competent...& FREE

angle fire wrote:
dont get me wrong, there are lots of things I like about the MAC (My wife hates it!) but realistically I don't think you can state reliability and build quality when you compare like with like.

agree Macs / PC's is a very MARMITE thing...but here at our place we all use both (macs at home PC's at work) by choice....I can invoke a PC running in a Window on two out of four of our Macs.....& to me there is little difference they are both WIMP configured (Windows - Icon - Mouse & Pointer)....just as Archimedes Acorns did over 20 years ago...these were mega mega fast competent machines with instant Laser direct printing...all at a time when all Microsoft could do was DOS 4.01
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #134672423rd Sep 2014 8:02 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Riccarton Disco wrote:
My dhcp doofer thingymybob what? Is that a bit like a triple A overhead manifold sprocket?? Thumbs Up

It will if you don't kill it before that, better watch out Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Riccarton Disco wrote:

All I can say it that we are all connected fine with no issues until someone starts streaming and then the mini loses the wifi (not just internet). I then have to go into options and tell it reconnect to the router which it does even if the others are still streaming but then loses it again soon Big Cry

Well that's still not normal, you should pay someone to fix it.
Thumbs Up

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #134677923rd Sep 2014 8:48 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

I lifted this of another Forum that I belong to. Written by one of well respected Techies:

"OK as promised here's the low down on the iPhone 6

Right now, its no different from the iPhone 5S, a little faster, doubled up to 128 Gigabytes, but in all honesty, have not found one thing it can do that the iPhone 5S cannot do!!!

Later on once the NFC (Near Field Communications) , paying over air... or communication device to device without touching anything, comes to the developers there might be a couple of Apps but not a great deal to make a song and dance at yet.

The internal barometer... well that may come along with a weather app, or something as useless, but nope, not a jot for it yet.

Its bigger, a lot bigger!!! OK it may only be millimetres in size bigger , but once the case is on and its in your hand it feels like a rifle magazine, the 6 plus is going to be like holding a paperback to your ear!

It's solid and hence tougher but once more put a case on the 5S and no difference.

I would assume that a lot of the built in functions will come into their own next February when the Apple Watch gets released, but 4 months after that there is possibly going to be a refresh, and an iPhone 6S.

Unless your due an upgrade, I would bide my time before running out and getting one!

As a PS, there are at the moment reports of the iPhone 6 Plus getting bent!

Its so large that people are keeping it in their back pockets, then as they bend and twist (sit as well I assume) the phones are getting bent to the shape of there Censored .

In America this is not going to be that much of a problem, their arses are so large, the bend angle is going to be minute!
"

Bill Wright Thumbs Up
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #134679023rd Sep 2014 9:06 pm
Discotres

Not far off what I said, it's the 6 Plus that is the new toy, but again I moaned abut the size, it really doesn't know what it is, I have got bored of mine now and use my iPads or macbook Thumbs Up

Post #134680123rd Sep 2014 9:22 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

BLFarrar wrote:

- it works out of the box.....

It's a pity you seem to have so much trouble with the keyboards, your full stop button seems to be sticking Whistle

Anybody any idea how many phones they have sold this last week, I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet Yawn
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #134680723rd Sep 2014 9:31 pm
Discotres

Its over 10 MILLION in a week or less and that doesn't include China who are just finalising a release there Thumbs Up

Oh! and the iPhone 6 Plus has just been crowned best phone screen/display in the whole world Bow down Bow down Bow down

http://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-6-plus-cla...play-test/

Post #134682323rd Sep 2014 9:51 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thud
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #134682423rd Sep 2014 9:52 pm
Discotres

I know its unbelievable isn't it, over 10 MILLION in less than a week! Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #134682723rd Sep 2014 9:54 pm
Hairy Dan

Yawn
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #134683023rd Sep 2014 10:01 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Hairy Dan wrote:
....It's a pity you seem to have so much trouble with the keyboards, your full stop button seems to be sticking Whistle

never.....a....problem....with....keyboards....as I dont usually use ...emoticons.... yawn, laugh, wham, bam, thud !!!!
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #134683223rd Sep 2014 10:10 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

New feature? - They bend easy!
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/...tter_nymag

Post #134687823rd Sep 2014 11:32 pm
Paganuk

United Kingdom 

just thought this might put the 10 million in perspective

Click image to enlarge

" In total, Android is expected to reach almost 2 billion of installed-base devices, with iOS/OS X accounting for 682 million devices in 2014."

interesting read http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/

looks like apple are taking more of your money than the competition

and it not that I don't like the apple product I think its a fantastic thing but doesn't need to be as costly and could integrate better with anything not apple

eg I spent almost 2 hours trying to get map stuff working on iPad that took less than 5 mins on both pc and android for the pot noodle this year
 Survived the 2014 PotNoodle Challenge!

Club 300k+
Club General AT
Club Mantec
Club MT/R
Current
2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4TDV8 L405 Marianna Black
Previous -
2010 D4 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue DO59MUD
2005 D3 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue OMO2
2005 D3 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue 318k OMO1
2002 D2 TD5 ES7 Black
2000 P38 DHSE Green
1986 Range Rover Classic Green 

Post #134689124th Sep 2014 12:22 am
anglefire

England 

Those figures are probably because of China - they have a lot of android devices. Which is good because you can get very capable phones for sub £100 - with dual sim mostly.

Quote:
which OS version have you come from / to ?...you do have aMac that has an Intel processor ?......none have made my Mac's any slower I have used all that have been provided in the last 6 years
.....realise you do have the option to roll back to the previous OS
Speed...also try using free-memory pro application to analyse the RAM segregation first...its free & sorts the lack of speed due maybe to RAM issues...I have used this maybe every week or so a couple of OS's ago...its the only system sorting software I have had to gat & use....

Also take you Mac to the apple store - the advice & assistance is very competent...& FREE

Its intel. It's had about 3 upgrades in its life - this latest is the only one that has been worse.
I didn't know you could roll back - I'll have a look at that.

It is RAM limited - though it was fine when new. But I'll look at the memory program, when I get the chance - probably post my Pyrenees trip now.

The Apple store is an option too - there is one in our local town.

Thanks Thumbs Up
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #134690324th Sep 2014 7:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >