Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

FACT - Apple ARE the best in the world
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
will247

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Small daft thing but I have a MBA and was working in an office a few weeks ago and after 7 hours of constant use the battery warning came up, looked up... can I borrow your charger... yeah fine.

Admittedly apple introduced the magsafe 2 relatively recently but windows laptops must have 10000000 combination of voltages and connector sizes!

Love all my apple stuff - current favourite is my iPhone 6 + Smile
 26 and on the 4th LR..
Series 2a 1963 88'' 2.25 Derv as original with Galv chassis
Disco 1 1996 V8 on LPG (sold now)
Disco 3 2005 TDV6 S (sold now)
Disco 4 MY15 XS Commercial

Post #134617822nd Sep 2014 10:15 pm
Kingmav66

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Parallax33 wrote:
Finished the curry... It was quite hot! Embarassed

We had a lovely curry tonight. Not quite Hamburg though......we were in Brockenhurst Thumbs Up

Post #134617922nd Sep 2014 10:16 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

10 million people (plus those older phones updated to iOS 8 ) who can't upload - pretty basic functionality Thud

Not sure I agree on the spares point - spares are not available through Apple, only through non affiliated 3rd parties with spares of often unknown quality and origin. You cannot buy new, sealed, labelled Apple spare parts.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Last edited by Martin on 22nd Sep 2014 10:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #134620722nd Sep 2014 10:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The pace of iupgrading is unsustainable ....although it is starting to get some of the great features that Android have had for sometime Whistle ..in the main its samo samo waste of time upgrading like iLemmings every year Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #134620922nd Sep 2014 10:55 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I must say I feel like an Apple Yesser Rolling with laughter

I thought the Apple phenominem had worn off but the queues are amazing plus 10 MILLION sold in ONE week, WoW!

Wait until the new iPads are announced next month then the sale of the watch next year, I won't be getting one but I bet they sell millions and millions Wink

Post #134621622nd Sep 2014 11:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well they will be selling one to me Twisted Evil ...the wife wants one Big Cry
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #134622622nd Sep 2014 11:17 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Apple? Sorry, form over function for me. Nothing against those who love them but not my bag.

Post #134624423rd Sep 2014 12:03 am
Tangsoodo

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

IMHO Apple are to locked down and if it can't do something (which is quite a lot that apple fans sweep under the carpet) then it just can't do it. If an Android can't do something then you can usually make it do that something.

My wife's galaxy tab was flat the other day so she borrowed my ipad.......she nearly threw it at the wall Whistle
 Mods:
DNA Remap
De-Tangoed
Clear indicators
D4 rear lights
Sat Nav with D4 surround
Flip down DVD player
Blackvue
Side steps
3rd row headphone/switches
Debadge
EGR's blanked 

Post #134624823rd Sep 2014 12:12 am
Pelyma

England 

Martin wrote:
10 million people (plus those older phones updated to iOS 8 ) who can't upload - pretty basic functionality Thud

Not sure I agree on the spares point - spares are not available through Apple, only through non affiliated 3rd parties with spares of often unknown quality and origin. You cannot buy new, sealed, labelled Apple spare parts.

They might not be able to upload to your site Martin, but I've just uploaded to photo bucket from iOS 8

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #134626423rd Sep 2014 6:43 am
Parallax33

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Shocked
 Justin

Discovery 4 MY14 XXV Causeway Grey
RRS MY12 Autobiography
Discovery 4 MY12 GS
Nanocom, Cruise Control, Cubby Fridge, TomTom SatNav, Xenons, BlackVue 

Post #134626923rd Sep 2014 7:09 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

anglefire wrote:
They are arguably the best at marketing. The best actual product, that's debatable - definately not if you factor in the price you pay.

OK a Mac does cost more...
But factor in...
- it works out of the box.....literally I bought my IMac in New York & 20 mins later was back in my hotel operational

- these days with pages, numbers & the excellent powerpoint alternative....definately no need to buy Office for Mac which to me is very very flaky...cost saving with software that actually works

- upgrades on OS's are either very low cost or nowadays free...+ you dont have to wait for the service packs for specifics to work.......think about PC's in seven years....cost of updating OS's at a £100 a shot

- no outlay on virus, spam, trojan protection whatsoever....yearly subscriptions etc

my iMac is now almost 7 years old....& isnt past its prime...OK I would like to add more memory but I can wait for this as it works just as fast as its newer brother my Mac Book

The hardware is superbly made....durable & for me hasnt failed....integrated with software that may be sewn up OK.....but "it works" & is realistically costed for the bits you maybe have to buy....
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #134627523rd Sep 2014 7:25 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Martin wrote:

....but in my past experience Martin you dont need them
Family total:
5 Ipods (2 80 gig ones & three 160 gig ones...all used daily
1 iPad
4 iPhones....we have had 3's, 4s's & now 5s...all free with Vodaphone...never a failure
1 iMac (mine)
3 Macbook Pros
1 Apple TV...briliiant piece of kit - bought with amex card points

.....the most I have added is RAM memory to my iMac...bought from Crucial.....approved supplier to mac
Apple care I have used & it has proven cost effective on the once I have used it
I'll wait for IOS 8....7 is very functional
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #134627723rd Sep 2014 7:35 am
anglefire

England 

BLFarrar wrote:
anglefire wrote:
They are arguably the best at marketing. The best actual product, that's debatable - definately not if you factor in the price you pay.

OK a Mac does cost more...
But factor in...
- it works out of the box.....literally I bought my IMac in New York & 20 mins later was back in my hotel operational

- these days with pages, numbers & the excellent powerpoint alternative....definately no need to buy Office for Mac which to me is very very flaky...cost saving with software that actually works

- upgrades on OS's are either very low cost or nowadays free...+ you dont have to wait for the service packs for specifics to work.......think about PC's in seven years....cost of updating OS's at a £100 a shot

- no outlay on virus, spam, trojan protection whatsoever....yearly subscriptions etc

my iMac is now almost 7 years old....& isnt past its prime...OK I would like to add more memory but I can wait for this as it works just as fast as its newer brother my Mac Book

The hardware is superbly made....durable & for me hasnt failed....integrated with software that may be sewn up OK.....but "it works" & is realistically costed for the bits you maybe have to buy....

If you want standard office type functions, then pages etc is fine - doesn't work for me on the iPad as I use a lot of automation and macro's - I can't even filter on "Numbers" to limit the visible rows or columns.

OS's have to be free/cheap because it is based on UNIX/Linux and the license doesn't allow them to. (As I understand anyway!)

I upgraded my MacBook's OS - wished I hadn't bothered, it is now painfully slow. Wish I could get it back to what it was previously as it is now almost un-usable - no warning that it wasn't suitable for my hardware.

I had to replace the battery on my MacBook - got one from Amazon as it was very cost effective compared to Apple prices - shame the lock on the bottom of the laptop is now broken due to poor design (IMHO)

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things I like about the MAC (My wife hates it!) but realistically I don't think you can state reliability and build quality when you compare like with like.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #134648123rd Sep 2014 12:47 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
They might not be able to upload to your site Martin, but I've just uploaded to photo bucket from iOS 8

Using the photobucket app at a guess, which isn't the browser that's broken Wink
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #134651223rd Sep 2014 1:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm not even an 'Apple' fan per se yet a quick tot-up of what I've had;

- 3 iPod's (what's now called the 'classic' - the big one) - one broken beyond repair, one out of memory (son has it) one still used as my music library 'jukebox'
- iPhone 3, 3S, 4, 4, 4s, 4s and now 5s - mix of own bought and company issued
- iPod bought for daughter - the little one with no screen
- iPod bought for son - the square one that was basically just a screen
- iPod classic bought for ex
- iPod Nano (?) the slim one about 1" x 3" bought for sister, son and daughter
- iPod Nano - the current one bought for partner.
- iPad 2 and 3 work issue
- iPad 2 personal one
- iPad mini bought for partner

That's quite a bit of money in their coffers all told Shocked

Phone-wise I was always a Nokia man but then iPhone did 'recreate' the market all to itself and the others played catch-up for a while. At end of the day it's almost just too easy to default to an iPhone. You need power and 'everyone' has a lead. You have a techie issue and someone within 10 foot has the answer. You want it to 'do something' and there's an app for it. Not saying whether it is or isn't the best but its bloody good at everything it does do.

Music player wise it just is the default choice IMO. With iTunes, linking to the other 'matched' items invariably also owned is a no-brainer. In the early days I persisted, and still hold the quality was much better, with a Sony device. In the end being the 'only one' with Sony music player or whatever it was called made it a pain.

It really is the best in marketing that has got them where they are as they are generally no longer [the only] innovators available.

Post #134653923rd Sep 2014 2:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >