Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Noise on throttle and vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
EstorilM

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Fair enough - I just really wanted to avoid throwing parts at the problem but it sounds like that's what I'm going to need to start doing.

I'm definitely going to start at the wheel bearings though. I'll check /replace diff fluids in 1000mi when I do my next (first on this one for me) oil change, but unless it's burnt / black, I'll be back to guessing.

There really is a lot of driveline noise when you pick up the slack at highway speeds, ie. let off throttle it's quiet then apply enough to maintain speed.. other than the HF steering wheel vibration noise I've been talking about, there's floorboard/chassic lower freq whirring noises once I apply throttle again. I didn't want to add that to the mix since we're so confused already but yeah.. Rolling Eyes

Again barring any diff issues that sounds like front driveshaft, which isn't entirely unheard of on these.

From what I recall, the diff noises were constant.. you could shift into neutral and they'd still be there. They were almost entirely speed dependent regardless of throttle. My rear diff was totally shot, front was annoying but again once they replaced it I had no more issues so as long as we're guessing here, it seems logical to remove those from the (large) list of things it might be.

I'm not sure on the history of this vehicle though.. I'll try to get the scoop at the dealership. If this does in fact have a new front/rear diff, we can remove that from the list!

Post #136468127th Oct 2014 1:45 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

I would hold off on throwing too many parts on more a pulling and shaking exercise. The oil in the diff should tell a story may be worth £20 to get it analysed. Drive shafts should show some wear if faulty. I had my front diff changed 11 months ago if I explain my symptoms it may help. No noticeable noises or vibrations below 70 mph then only when you jump off the throttle. No noise or vibs when coasting and feathering the throttle, nothing on acceleration.
Once the diff was changed no noises on over run but now have a few much quieter noises on acceleration especially if the engine is at low revs and almost labouring ( auto box ) told by the dealer it's the torque convertor but most people don't notice it.
The car now has 74k on and has done some 3500kg towing original wheel bearings so I suppose they could be due for replacement.
I have tuned any small noises out of my head until they worsen then they should be easier to find. I have in the past fitted a camera underneath vehicles looking at drive shafts etc to see if they start jumping about as the noise in the cab starts. I can remember spending some time trying to find an out of shape tyre on a hilux only to eventually track it down to the rear prop joint. The joint was not worn but the bearing cup was not staked in properly and after a good tug you could move the cup 3-4 mm. Some noises can be really elusive and finally found in the strangest places.
 D4  
Post #136475627th Oct 2014 5:42 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My noise/ vibration does appear to be getting worse. Or I'm getting more sensitive to it?
I changed the diff oils and gearbox oil last week, noting the following.
Gearbox oil was dark in colour but free of particles.
Rear diff was coffee brown, suggesting water contamination. There were fine iron filings on the magnoplug.
The front diff is more of a worry. The oil was dark with a few silvery flecks in it. The magnoplug had silver flecks over fine iron filings. By the amount of material on both from and rear diff plugs, I suspect no oil changes have been done previously. My Discovery now has 168,000+ miles on the clock. I would think I'm heading towards a front diff in the future.
Currently being 300 miles from home, I'm hoping it gets me there on Xmas eve!!
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #139323521st Dec 2014 12:53 am
EstorilM

Well that 'sounds' like the typical diff bearing failure due to inner coating coming off, the TSB for 05-06 and RRS 06.. but not sure what year yours is. I had replaced mine on the RRS as I noted earlier, but it was VERY LOUD and clearly coming from the rear of the car. It was also a constant noise even at low speeds (ie. didn't change if I let off gas or got on it really..)

I haven't heard of them failing catastrophically, they just "go bad" as more particles get chewed up in the bearings from paint coating contamination in the fluids from what I know.

They later replaced the front diff as well, however it did not change the steering wheel high frequency vibration or the weird faint high pitched harmonic noise that comes with it.

Post #139835631st Dec 2014 2:47 pm
EstorilM

Bump!

I'm going to buy some chassis ears and attach them all over the place to figure out what the hell is going on.

I also want to figure out what the generic whirring noise is when I'm cruising at a constant speed - as soon as I take my foot off the gas the noise goes away instantly.

Post #142446511th Feb 2015 11:27 pm
BETOGTI

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Please share in case you find anything. I almost gave up on this. I have a friend that bought himself a 2007 Diesel that has the exact same noise as ours when cruising.
Good Luck!

Post #142512812th Feb 2015 10:15 pm
IOM man

Isle Of Man 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

New torque converter fitted and auto box oil and filter changed today at 150,000 miles and the chirping, rattling and resonance has competely gone - it's so smooth with no noise or juddering Very Happy

Rear engine oil seal also changed as preventative maintenance Thumbs Up

Just need to see and pay the bill Big Cry
 Current:
2010 Discovery 4 HSE TDV6
2020 Audi Q2 TSFI 40 Aline Quattro Black Edition
2006 Audi RS4 4.2 V8 - Toy in the garage Smile

Gone but not forgotten:

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV6
2018 Lexus NX 300 F Sport Hybrid
2005 Discovery 3 HSE TDV6
2015 Discovery HSE Lux
200 Discovery TDI
300 Discovery TDI
Land Rover 90 2.5 Diesel
Series III SWB Land Rover 2.25 diesel
TD4 Freelander Kalahari
1.8 petrol Freelander 

Post #169138412th Aug 2016 6:14 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As above new TC fitted and oil changed

Noise which sounds like a chain being pulled through a pipe is still there Laughing

Whistle
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #169150112th Aug 2016 10:36 pm
sutty2006

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It appears I have this "noise" aswell.

I struggle to describe it. But I'll try. When backing off the throttle it occurs for a brief moment then dissapears...... will come back on if throttle gently tapped and released in quick sucsession. My 05 tdv6 had a new torque converter end of 2015. Ive been living with the noise since 1 week after I bought it, which the old owner didnt know about "apparently" pfft. The turbo has also been replaced so cant be that. I was hoping it might be the aux belt tensioner but after reading these posts im not so certain. Might give it a try though.

Post #169181813th Aug 2016 9:08 pm
LIAMMCL

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Edit: My car is a 59 plate D4, not a D3 although I assume the gearbox, or other possible cause will likely be the same.

I'm getting what sounds similar to people are describing here. I've had the car 3 years and every time I've mentioned it a LR garage or Indy they have said to wait till it gets worse! Started 30k miles - now 66k miles and I 'think' its getting worse.

The following happens under load:
I think it's at any speed but its hard to tell over 40-50mph. More noticeable when climbing hills in lower gears. More noticeable when cold.

- harmonic vibration or 'buzzing' though steering wheel.
- as above felt through the floor.
- supercharger type 'whine' sound which varies depending on what the gearbox is doing.
- It's a pig to change up a gear when cold, also seems reluctant to change up a gear when not under load - I've found myself using command shift just to lower the engine revs (only a cold engine issue).

Its had new front wheel bearings, new Michelin Latitude front tyres etc. Also I can hear the air con pump bearing being quite rough when switched on.

What I have also noticed but may be normal - the power steering fluid in the header tank is jumping around a lot when the engine is running.

Post #171776910th Oct 2016 8:27 am
GeertVdM

Belgium 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

[quote="IOM man"]New torque converter fitted and auto box oil and filter changed today at 150,000 miles and the chirping, rattling and resonance has competely gone - it's so smooth with no noise or juddering Very Happy

IOM Man, is the sound still gone?

Post #172213720th Oct 2016 9:49 am
IOM man

Isle Of Man 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Yep, I have done 4000 miles with no noises or judder
 Current:
2010 Discovery 4 HSE TDV6
2020 Audi Q2 TSFI 40 Aline Quattro Black Edition
2006 Audi RS4 4.2 V8 - Toy in the garage Smile

Gone but not forgotten:

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV6
2018 Lexus NX 300 F Sport Hybrid
2005 Discovery 3 HSE TDV6
2015 Discovery HSE Lux
200 Discovery TDI
300 Discovery TDI
Land Rover 90 2.5 Diesel
Series III SWB Land Rover 2.25 diesel
TD4 Freelander Kalahari
1.8 petrol Freelander 

Post #172224820th Oct 2016 5:03 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had a new tensioner fitted two years ago so I'm confident it's not that Confused

Struggling with 'chain like' noise when releasing the accelerator Rolling Eyes

It seems to disappear over 70 Whistle

Notice after 5 to 10 minutes the noise kicks in ........ definitely noisier in lower gears and speeds

Again its best described as a chain like noise running through pipe coming from seems front left section underneath the vehicle

Crying or Very sad
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #17310268th Nov 2016 6:46 pm
smrco

Slovenia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi to all! I am hearing the same noise in my Discoyery 3, and I just remembered the problem that I had years ago with my Clio. It was allmost the same noise, and the same situation, and it turned out to be Throttle Body. And I actually found a video of this simular noise here...you can here it at around 2:05...

What do you think?

Post #22003519th Jan 2021 3:00 am
d.lundigan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Only thing is, like myself, the noise on the Disco disappears after having a new Torque converter 🤷🏻‍♂️

Post #22004169th Jan 2021 1:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >