Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Noise on throttle and vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
EstorilM

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

gensetsteve wrote:
My diff made a noise and vibration more on overrun. Land Rover fitted a recon diff which got rid of this problem but I now have some noise and vibration on acceleration.

Have you drained the diff oil to see if its black with filelings in it . Have you swapped tyres front to back.

I now drive it and ignor all noises and vibrations unless my sat nav starts falling off the dash. You should enjoy driving these vehicles. If you want a vehicle that is even remotely reliable you may need to look at a Landcruiser or similar

I still don't think you've read my previous posts Whistle Not only am I familiar with the differential issues, but I've already replaced front AND rear diffs at dealer on my previous 06 RRS. FWIW the accel noise was more obvious for me afterwards - especially climbing hills, 2nd-3rd gears mod throttle. More of a high pitched whine BUT it was engine RPM-based noise. I think that's normal trans / TC noise.

These vibrations aren't the type of low freq. vibrations that shake anything (like tire vibrations) - it's high frequency, think almost like house fly buzz noise when they fly by your ear..

Again, can't be tire related if I'm getting the exact same noise on two totally different vehicles with 3" different wheel dia. and totally different tires. Wink

lol Rolling with laughter you don't need to give me the speech about needing a different vehicle.. I drove 500 miles to buy my 1999 Discovery II and I still have it - air suspension and all. Never taken it to a shop once.. I think that says a lot, I've been through quite a bit with that thing. Rolling Eyes I like keeping my vehicles running the way they were designed to, it gives me a sense of accomplishment every time I fire them up. I hate seeing cars driving down the road held together with duct tape and broken components because the drivers think it's fine since it's still "rolling" and getting them from point a to point b.

I'm not the type to just ignore the noise is what I'm trying to say - plus for curiosity sake I'd like to know what's actually causing the noise and/or failing.

Jumping on stuff like this ASAP when it isn't a huge issue ensures that you don't break down on a road trip with your family or something a few years later.. one thing I've learned early on as a mechanic. Nitpicking every stupid little problem, noise, squeak etc almost always ensures these things are generally running very well.

Post #136243022nd Oct 2014 1:29 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The noise you are describing is exactly what my D3 makes. Accelerating up hills on moderate throttle. Although mine won't be the TC as it's a manual gearbox TDV6. It's some kind of transmission noise from one or more component or a harmonic of the combined noises.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #136260622nd Oct 2014 6:45 pm
Riccarton Disco

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

As an interested watcher may I sumarise.

We "know" it isn't either diff' as these have been changed with no difference occuring.
We "know" it isn't the TC / gearbox as it happens on manuals and autos alike.
We "know" it is road speed based and not rpm based (or have I just dreamt that bit?)
We "know" it is engine load related (throttle position) but not the turbo (see one above).

The last two may be red herrings and turbos (especially VV's) can make some really weird noises until they come under load and this would be my first place to look normally.

Assuming my summary is correct the only remaining item to fit the bill is the Transfer 'Box. Am I right in thinking this is the same on autos and manuals? To some extent this would make sense as the "load" on it would be different depending upon gear selected / speed / throttle position / uphil or downhill and the only time a datum appears is when running light (not on the throttle - not off the throttle).

Anybody tried replicating it on a 4 wheel dyno (not just a set of rollers but one where the load can be adjusted)?

The only fly in this ointment is I had exactly the same problem with a 110 County DC and the supplying dealer changed the Transfer 'Box, Front and rear diffs & prop-shafts. The noise persisted and in the end it beat us all and this is when I upgraded to the D3 which was some smooth it wasn't funny Very Happy

Post #136272822nd Oct 2014 9:30 pm
Nodge68

@ Riccarton Disco
I've also considered the Transfer Box. I believe it is the same until between manual and auto although I could be wrong on that.
My manual makes lots of transmission noise in low range but that could be normal.
The only thing that makes me think the TB as an unlikely cause of this particular noise is the buzzy vibration felt through the steering. I don't see how it can be felt so far from the transfer box?
This would be a good one to fix.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #136274222nd Oct 2014 9:48 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Money is still on the turbo Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #136274622nd Oct 2014 9:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nodge68

And mine DM. That was until our US Discovery 3 owners started saying they were also suffering this noise with there V8's!
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #136274722nd Oct 2014 10:01 pm
Disco_Mikey

I suspect we are talking about different noises/ issues

I tried to record my noise, but it doesn't work.too well.due to all the other noises going on
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #136276722nd Oct 2014 10:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
notanothersilverone

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Hmm........

Somedays I think Land Rover missed the NVH testing out all together!

I have found in the many years I have beenessing around with cars, people all hear the same noise differently....... I get a specific, noticeable change in Tone/(very slight)Vbration through cabin when in 4th gear (auto) under load between 40-55mpm, like an item touching body/chassis very slightly when under load.

Now like the others, garage says anything from Diffs/Gearbox/Trans Box/Lower Arms/Steering Column and so on, all the things they usually change and make a difference.

But not one has mentioned Engine/Box Mountings? Maybe body alignment to Chassis?

Anyways, might be nothing like yours just a different take on it?!? And my noise...... With is being a Land Rover will probably end up being one of the usual suspects like a front wheel bearing again!

Post #136283423rd Oct 2014 12:15 am
Scwede

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey wrote:
I suspect we are talking about different noises/ issues

I tried to record my noise, but it doesn't work.too well.due to all the other noises going on

I think Mikey is right - I'm with him on the turbo being the likely cause of "most" of them.

I have also tried to record it but you just end up hearing other stuff (wind usually).

I found this old thread and the first post has a video with what appears to be the same noise I am experiencing - although I can sustain it for more than a brief moment - entirely throttle dependent and nothing to do with road speed etc so again likely to be the turbo.

Apologies if this is not the same noise but it seems a good possibility.

Post #136285423rd Oct 2014 7:53 am
EstorilM

Nodge68 wrote:
The noise you are describing is exactly what my D3 makes. Accelerating up hills on moderate throttle. Although mine won't be the TC as it's a manual gearbox TDV6. It's some kind of transmission noise from one or more component or a harmonic of the combined noises.

So it does sound like some of us are talking about two different noises I think. Is this the RPM dependent noise that increases in pitch with engine rpm in each gear?

Dang actually now that I think about it...... it isn't. The noise STARTS in 2nd gear I think, and the pitch increases through 2nd then when it shifts, it resumes and keeps increasing through third. Then it's gone. That sounds like transmission to me... but I don't think it can happen like that since you have a manual. Both my RRS and LR3 did this but again I think it's normal trans shifting noise.

So maybe we're back to the original noise that starts upper 30mph etc at neutralish throttle and goes away if you let off or floor it?

Sorry I'm thinking out loud here lol.

Post #136300923rd Oct 2014 12:59 pm
EstorilM

Riccarton Disco wrote:
As an interested watcher may I sumarise.

We "know" it isn't either diff' as these have been changed with no difference occuring.
We "know" it isn't the TC / gearbox as it happens on manuals and autos alike.
We "know" it is road speed based and not rpm based (or have I just dreamt that bit?)
We "know" it is engine load related (throttle position) but not the turbo (see one above).

The last two may be red herrings and turbos (especially VV's) can make some really weird noises until they come under load and this would be my first place to look normally.

Assuming my summary is correct the only remaining item to fit the bill is the Transfer 'Box. Am I right in thinking this is the same on autos and manuals? To some extent this would make sense as the "load" on it would be different depending upon gear selected / speed / throttle position / uphil or downhill and the only time a datum appears is when running light (not on the throttle - not off the throttle).

Anybody tried replicating it on a 4 wheel dyno (not just a set of rollers but one where the load can be adjusted)?

The only fly in this ointment is I had exactly the same problem with a 110 County DC and the supplying dealer changed the Transfer 'Box, Front and rear diffs & prop-shafts. The noise persisted and in the end it beat us all and this is when I upgraded to the D3 which was some smooth it wasn't funny Very Happy

Good summary but we're forgetting that this presents itself through the steering wheel (on my LHD US LR3 and RRS) and LH floor boards, and can be heard over there as well.

Both of my vehicles were auto NA V8s - no turbo.

Also there are MANY other things it could be other than transfer case.. I'm still thinking half shaft u joint bearings or wheel bearings.

Post #136301023rd Oct 2014 1:02 pm
stav

Greece 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Money is still on the turbo Whistle

Mike, a friends auto tdv6 also has the same noise. He changed the turbo due to p132 fault if i remember correctly. New turbo fitted and noise still there. Thats why i insist in the TC theory.

Post #136303323rd Oct 2014 2:01 pm
Disco_Mikey

Not neccessarily a faulty turbo, just the way the air passes through the vanes of the turbo Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #136309223rd Oct 2014 4:33 pm
Spinney

England 

I would describe the moan/whine on our D3 as something akin to the “wife of Chewbacca” ie a higher pitched version of the hairy Star Wars beast. It kicks in under load only obvious at low speed (less wind noise etc) only in the rev range 1800-2200 rpm. Not heard at any other time. Started 6 months ago and not getting worse and present if engine hot or cold.

If the passenger window is open the turbo whine is more obvious. As the normal turbo whine kicks in it corresponds exactly to the moan/whine and rev range above – red herring?

Another observation is although I cannot hear the whine at higher speeds the rev range around 2000rpm coincides with our motorway cruising speed – could this be significant if the vehicle has been mainly used at 70 mph on A-roads and motorways?

Whatever the cause I am hoping it is just a harmonic vibration problem and not a sign of impending wallet intrusion….

Post #136310323rd Oct 2014 5:07 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

EstorilM wrote:
gensetsteve wrote:
My diff made a noise and vibration more on overrun. Land Rover fitted a recon diff which got rid of this problem but I now have some noise and vibration on acceleration.

Have you drained the diff oil to see if its black with filelings in it . Have you swapped tyres front to back.

I now drive it and ignor all noises and vibrations unless my sat nav starts falling off the dash. You should enjoy driving these vehicles. If you want a vehicle that is even remotely reliable you may need to look at a Landcruiser or similar

I still don't think you've read my previous posts Whistle Not only am I familiar with the differential issues, but I've already replaced front AND rear diffs at dealer on my previous 06 RRS. FWIW the accel noise was more obvious for me afterwards - especially climbing hills, 2nd-3rd gears mod throttle. More of a high pitched whine BUT it was engine RPM-based noise. I think that's normal trans / TC noise.

These vibrations aren't the type of low freq. vibrations that shake anything (like tire vibrations) - it's high frequency, think almost like house fly buzz noise when they fly by your ear..

Again, can't be tire related if I'm getting the exact same noise on two totally different vehicles with 3" different wheel dia. and totally different tires. Wink

lol Rolling with laughter you don't need to give me the speech about needing a different vehicle.. I drove 500 miles to buy my 1999 Discovery II and I still have it - air suspension and all. Never taken it to a shop once.. I think that says a lot, I've been through quite a bit with that thing. Rolling Eyes I like keeping my vehicles running the way they were designed to, it gives me a sense of accomplishment every time I fire them up. I hate seeing cars driving down the road held together with duct tape and broken components because the drivers think it's fine since it's still "rolling" and getting them from point a to point b.

I'm not the type to just ignore the noise is what I'm trying to say - plus for curiosity sake I'd like to know what's actually causing the noise and/or failing.

Jumping on stuff like this ASAP when it isn't a huge issue ensures that you don't break down on a road trip with your family or something a few years later.. one thing I've learned early on as a mechanic. Nitpicking every stupid little problem, noise, squeak etc almost always ensures these things are generally running very well.

With your experience and the fact that you can hear and feel the problem unlike people on a forum you are the most likely person to find the problem. I did read your early posts but eliminating a component because it sounded different on another vehicle is irrelevant as the same diff fault on two different d4s can sound and feel totally different also just because someone has fitted a refurb end part does not mean it's any good.I would methodically go back over all parts close to steering especially know problems ie wheel bearings if you have heard this fault on several vehicles is it just a characteristic you have become tuned into. I keep my vehicles up together but small noises are easier to find when they get bigger. If you look on eBay my td5 Commercial I sold last year is for sale the description is more about how it was looked after rather than the van.
 D4  
Post #136414625th Oct 2014 9:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >