DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Whats Got Your Goat Up today ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 296 of 296 <123 ... 294295296
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

JordsDisco wrote:
MOT Testers! Evil or Very Mad

So when did 4mm of tread become an advisory on the MOT today, which stated tyre worn close to the legal limit. Did they change it from 1.6mm? Wink

Then on the service document they mark it up to call on 19/01/25. Presumably to order tyres! Banging Head

That they've put a note to call you in January about your tyres, suggests it's just a con-job to scare you in to believing you need new tyres. Unless you drive like a lunatic (or do starship monthly mileage), you're unlikely to need new tyres in mid Jan either.

Does the MOT online record show it as an advisory?
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #237548619th Aug 2024 9:58 pm
J77

Scotland 

Had it with my Velar’s service/MOT (only one that’s made it to 3 years with me Embarassed ) Dealer said it needed new pads and discs all round, they did look ugly LR’s typical brakes, but when it went for the MOT they weren’t even noted as an advisory.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #237548919th Aug 2024 10:11 pm
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

The online MOT states this as an advisory on just one tyre. I really don’t know what to make of it, particularly as it mentions both tyres at 4mm on the paperwork.

I am meticulous measuring tyre depths. I measure them in three spots across the breath and and two points round the circumference. They are at 4mm or just slightly below on the exterior edge.

I suppose so what, I’d be replacing them in the next month or two in any case. Rolling Eyes

Post #237549119th Aug 2024 10:20 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Yep its annoying. My VW at 9yrs old has never had a clean MOT and I think its now a joke with MOT testers.

Post #237549319th Aug 2024 10:47 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

pjm-84 wrote:
Lol.... glad you said that and not me. Just taken on a young chap for a degree apprenticeship role.

i hope you dont expect anything ridiculous like him actually going to the office more than 3 days a week or working 1 min past 5pm, or going more than 3 months without at least one day off sick .....you may well be dissapointed.

without turning this into the three yorkshire mens sketch if they did half what we had to do back in the day they would never cope
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #237551020th Aug 2024 1:36 pm
mark the spark

pjm-84 wrote:
Lol.... glad you said that and not me. Just taken on a young chap for a degree apprenticeship role.

i hope you dont expect anything ridiculous like him actually going to the office more than 3 days a week or working 1 min past 5pm, or going more than 3 months without at least one day off sick .....you may well be dissapointed.

without turning this into the three yorkshire mens sketch if they did half what we had to do back in the day they would never cope.

an example ...one of our fitters late 50s had to go to newquay to install some pipework before a building was landed over a foundation so we booked him in at premier inn ...arrived at our yard 03.30 loaded up drove 217 miles to site (on site by just after 08.00 )did the job actually did prep of the next unit (as he was there ) finished up at 5PM rang to say cancel his accomodation as he wanted to get home drove 4 hrs back on way he rang up again to see were he was going following day was on site next day 07.30 not so much as one single moan.. try that on our 20 somethings and they grizzle if they have to go more than an hour and its not all easy and clean

tell that to the kids of today and ..... Laughing
MY10 HSE D4 auto

Post #237551420th Aug 2024 1:46 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

A couple of young lads did a good job installing our boiler - no complaints. There was a definite risk of a Lynx Africa explosion, though.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #237552120th Aug 2024 2:17 pm
mark the spark

im not saying there isnt some good in them its just there not very robust and all a bit precious

that lxnx africa masks the smell of the weed ! but your right they do smell better than most of our seniors Laughing
MY10 HSE D4 auto

Post #237552220th Aug 2024 2:23 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

mark the spark wrote:
pjm-84 wrote:

without turning this into the three yorkshire mens sketch if they did half what we had to do back in the day they would never cope.

an example ...one of our fitters late 50s had to go to newquay to install some pipework before a building was landed over a foundation so we booked him in at premier inn ...arrived at our yard 03.30 loaded up drove 217 miles to site (on site by just after 08.00 )did the job actually did prep of the next unit (as he was there ) finished up at 5PM rang to say cancel his accomodation as he wanted to get home drove 4 hrs back on way he rang up again to see were he was going following day was on site next day 07.30 not so much as one single moan.. try that on our 20 somethings and they grizzle if they have to go more than an hour and its not all easy and clean

An exception to the norm at the moment.....possibly born in the wrong decade. Wants to work and learn on the job, currently works as well in a job that I wouldn't do.

Post #237552320th Aug 2024 2:27 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Can't decide which is the worst ...

The fact it's started p!ssing down just as I threw the chicken on the BBQ ...

Or that the can of Old Peculier I reached out to as consolation has, at some point in last 24 hours, detonated inside the kitchen cupboard.

On balance, probably the Old Peculier.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #237553320th Aug 2024 6:52 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

mark the spark wrote:
pjm-84 wrote:

My take? It's great that the guy is up for doing that. But in reality he's going to be dog-tired and only a long eye-blink away from a crash. There's a difference between wanting to work and working yourself in to the ground. If (when?) it goes wrong, it's the bosses in court and the family at the funeral.

Accepting/encouraging such behaviour is not big and it's not clever. If you're his employer then you need to have a serious word with yourself, frankly.

This is what tired does (could be a van or car but the same result)
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #237553520th Aug 2024 7:55 pm
Journeyman

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

When I was quite senior in Training & Development for a retail company, I was expected to drive from the New Forest to Cambridge for 0800 and then returning home later in the day. However, I'd only got home from meetings in Ireland at midnight so I would have had about 3 hours sleep.

Needless to say, I decided not to go as I felt I was too tired and would not have been safe.

I got such a Censored from my boss whose attitude was, "if I tell you to be somewhere, you will be there. I don't care about your lack of sleep".

I handed my notice in shortly after as this was just one example of their attitude.
 Cheers,

Jez

Discovery 3 HSE Stornaway Grey
MY 2008 2.7 TDV6

Discovery 2 2003 - gone 

Post #237553820th Aug 2024 8:50 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Quite right too.

Frankly, we need more bosses like that feeling the full force of the law when things do go wrong - as they eventually will. Some time inside one of His Majesty's full board hotels might focus their minds a bit.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #237554920th Aug 2024 10:36 pm
mark the spark

as i said we had booked accomodation but he chose to come back of his own choice there was no pressure from above ,i would have stayed personally .... its his attitude to hard graft and the difference i see generally in the younger generation that i was highlighting ...........
MY10 HSE D4 auto

Post #237566922nd Aug 2024 8:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 296 of 296 <123 ... 294295296
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >