Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Poor Fuel Consumption (TDV6)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 19 <123 ... 567 ... 171819>
ChrisH

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Fuel Consumtion

I bought a Demo D3 that was 8 mths old and had done 9k kms, with an auto box. Just had it's annual service, Rolling Eyes have done 15k kms and at best get 11.5L/100kms, which is abt 24.5MPG. So somewhat disapointed to be honest. I was expecting to average no more than 10L/100kms. However it is a fantastic car and i'm very happy with the purchase.
 They call me Wombat.....  
Post #12162219th Jan 2007 1:04 pm
Ronfltd

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

No rocket science required.... just smooth use of the foot. I get 27.5 shown on short runs and the best I've seen was 32.5 on a run down the A9 .. average speed was 60 ish. I get better numbers than the wife...she drives slower than me but tends to use the pedal more harshly..hence 24 ish on the short runs to Tesco Shocked ...Not let her out on a long run yet !!! But.... reason I can control the boot on the D3 is that I satisfy my speed rush requirements by hammering my 2A 2 1/4 .... (with overdrive Twisted Evil ) ... how sad is that 8) ...no idea about consumption, because the Bridgestone A/T's are huge and hence the speedo/odo talks Censored ...
 They look like S**t when covered in S**t - All except the Silver ones of course.....  
Post #12213920th Jan 2007 1:11 pm
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As I have posted before our car (Turbochipped TDV6 auto) averages about 20.5 mpg (wife does most of the driving in the week)

Today, after filling up with BP Ultimate diesel, went for a drive, after about 20 mins (so fully warmed etc) reset the trip. Over the next 5 miles to home (not a massive test I know) I did not exceed 2000 rpm (god that was hard)
On return trip said avg speed 35.6 mph (that was bl**dy hard) average mpg only 28.5!

Having read other posts here I would have thought I should be getting at least 35 on such a test.

IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG?

Is this an issue for LR or TC

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Post #12251721st Jan 2007 10:16 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'd say that's not nearly long enough a run to be very conclusive, also try keeping the revs it a bit higher, I get best consumption between 2200 & 2500 RPM.
Fill up, reset and go for a good long run on a fast A road or motorway, try and keep the speed fairly constant (try about 60-65ish and don't use 6th), avoid accelerating or braking hard. If that doesn't show any improvement try again but this time keep the revs a bit lower and use 6th, the engine mapping does seem to vary a bit between different ones so it's a matter of finding where yours runs best
 The End  
Post #12252021st Jan 2007 10:24 pm
camLR3

United Kingdom 2005 LR3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverLR3

When new I got around 32-33 mpg and if driven gently coud get high 30's low 40's - post upgrade a year ago I struggled to get high 20's and however I drove it couldn't get it more than 35mpg, its now been upgraded again, and consistently returns 32mpg at a steady 70+ cruise, and if driven really gently (and I mean really gently) I have managed to get 43.8 mpg on my commute home from work (mixed town and country driving 21 miles)

Manual HSE (a very rare beast) 27,000 miles 2 yrs old.

Post #1276455th Feb 2007 12:56 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

There's been a few mentions of being upgraded again recently (well, you and D3matt to be precise Rolling Eyes ), do you know if it's a new patch or simply a reapplication of the VEP ones?

TFC is on his second manual HSE 8)
 The End  
Post #1276465th Feb 2007 1:02 pm
camLR3

United Kingdom 2005 LR3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverLR3

Slimer wrote:
There's been a few mentions of being upgraded again recently (well, you and D3matt to be precise Rolling Eyes ), do you know if it's a new patch or simply a reapplication of the VEP ones?

TFC is on his second manual HSE 8)

Difficult to say, service guys initially said that no patches had been applied last time round (ie 1 yr ago)- until I pointed out that the pre-heater/cooler function had gone... Suffice it to say that I don't trust a word the dealer says - all I know is that it was at them all day for a basic service but a miraculous improvement in mpg...
Sorry I can't help more..

Post #1276895th Feb 2007 4:04 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Slimer wrote:
Fill up, reset and go for a good long run on a fast A road or motorway, try and keep the speed fairly constant (try about 60-65ish and don't use 6th),

I tend to do long hauls at 60mph getting typically 30-32mpg (actual ltrs in vs miles driven), is it best then to use command shift to keep it in 5th rather than let the auto box choose 6th at these speeds?????

Post #1276935th Feb 2007 4:16 pm
fisherman

Wales 

My usage of the D3 is fairly limited to the school run and the odd trip out further afield. This is generally stop start stuff with maybe a run of 5 or so miles unhindered. The best consumption so far has been 22.4 dropping to 18.6 around town. I have complained to the dealers from whence it came some 17 days ago and they said that the techie guy was away on a course but would call me back to sort it. I called again to be told that it was the end of the month and they were very busy with sales targets etc etc. They are due to contact me today to arrange to have the car back for remedial work and sort the problem, as well as the overfilling of the oil to the tune of a litre!
This is their last chance. I am not a whinger and can understand to a degree, other peoples point of view, but don't take the Censored .I am not a mug and won't be treated as such.
I expect them to call me today.
But I won't hold my breath.
Banging Head
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #1276985th Feb 2007 4:30 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:
is it best then to use command shift to keep it in 5th rather than let the auto box choose 6th at these speeds?????
Experiment and find out what works best for you Derek, I don't get into 6th until at least 70mph (which obviously means I never use 6th in the UK Whistle ) but mine's a manual The End  
Post #1277015th Feb 2007 4:37 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

camLR3 wrote:
Difficult to say, service guys initially said that no patches had been applied last time round (ie 1 yr ago)- until I pointed out that the pre-heater/cooler function had gone... Suffice it to say that I don't trust a word the dealer says - all I know is that it was at them all day for a basic service but a miraculous improvement in mpg...
Sorry I can't help more..
No problem, mines due for a 45k service soon so I think I might ask them to 'reapply' the patches too as my MPG isn't as good as it was pre-VEP The End  
Post #1277025th Feb 2007 4:41 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Will try on route to Lakes, 100 miles in 6th & 100 in 5th, see what trip says.

Post #1277045th Feb 2007 4:42 pm
Marcel

Croatia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Fuel consumption

Hi!
I owned my Javablack (TDV6 S) two years and have no objections for consumption. City-driving, but not aggressive, just 10 - 10,5 l /100 km. When riding on the highway, I usually drive 130 km/h. Than, he needs 11 l/100 km. Sometimes I hurry on the highway (150-160 km/h), but than he needs 12,5-13 l/100km for comfort drive. I think, for the car weighted 2,5 tons it is not so much. The price for 1 litre Eurodiesel is around 1 €.
8) Thumbs Up

Post #15846817th May 2007 9:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Slimer wrote:
[ No problem, mines due for a 45k service soon so I think I might ask them to 'reapply' the patches too as my MPG isn't as good as it was pre-VEP
........ Be careful there Slimer, I think Lancaster have re applied these to mine the last twice it's been in, and the consumption is getting worse and worse after each visit......... will not better 25.9mpg, even on a light throttle motorway run........ Sad  
Post #15847117th May 2007 9:49 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I didn't bother, fuel consumption's fine nowadays, think I was just going through a 'heavy right foot' phase Rolling Eyes
 The End  
Post #15847217th May 2007 9:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 19 <123 ... 567 ... 171819>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >