DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Whats your fuel consumption?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>
BN

England 

shawn wrote:
right then

i have decided, i am going to give it 1000 miles (3000 total) to improve otherwise the dealer is going to wish he had never met me Evil or Very Mad 19.5mpg driving carefully just is not good enough and thats that.

cheers shawn

Shawn, do your figures from tank full to refill, then you will obviously know the real answer for all driving.

Post #2773713th Nov 2005 6:35 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Raymond wrote:
I am interested in reports that the new 06 model seems to be getting better fuel figures,whats all that about ??.

Updated engine management I would guess. They seem to be slightly sprightlier too.

I have a noticeable flat spot when changing form 1st to 2nd that the dealer seemed to recognise as a common issue... hoping they can do an upgrade to the mapping / engine management software. Suppose it would be a bit like an official chipping job but not for pure power gains.

Post #2773913th Nov 2005 7:10 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

bn

i filled up on friday night (another £78.00) set trip and will work out the mpg when i refill again, all is in hand.

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2778613th Nov 2005 9:54 pm
Blue

I have a TDV6 auto and my usual readings are lately between 20 and 25 mpg (mostly urban unfortunately Sad )

I'm hoping to make long runs this winter though (haven't reached 7000 mi yet).
 Blue  
Post #2799014th Nov 2005 10:22 pm
Bogblaster

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Hi everyone, stumbled on to this whilst researching my chuffing Webasto "I won't heat your cab unless the radioo is left on" Thought I would put in my 2 penneth.

I have covered 15500 miles in mine since March, including 2 journeys from Gloucestershire to the Czech Republic, the journey is 1052 miles each way and on the first run I averaged 22.4 mpg with a roof-box on at an average speed of about 80 mph, the second time was better weather and I averaged 25 mpg at a highher average speed of 90 (obviously not in the UK of course Laughing) The bad side of things is that my office is only 5 miles from home and if I only commute and no extra driving it drops to 19.5 mpg. The trouble is a) Nothing else comes close to what I need as I have 4 children and tow trailers at work with it and b) as much as the mpg bothers me, and it really does, I am a Landrover nut through and through. It is better than my old V8 90 at 7 mpg Twisted Evil

My last Discovery TD5 ES did about 20 on long runs and after a visit to JE Engineering in Coventry it went alot faster and did 25. They are currently still working on the tuning of the TDV6 but if the TD5 is anything to go on I will have them do that as well.
 D4 HSE Luxury SDV6,
Cameras, tow assist
Defender 90 Adventure
A4 Avant 3.0l TDI Twisted Evil
CLUB MTR
CLUB BLACK ALLOY
CLUB FFRR RIMS
CLUB VREDESTEIN WINTRAC 4 EXTREME 

Post #2834017th Nov 2005 4:45 pm
simon

Start at Soho's Poland Street NCP...

Crawl through town and crawl up the A4 to the M4

M4 till J15 and up A roads past Cirencester to M5

Up busy M5 and off at Worcs South

Crawl through Worcs City and out on Ludlow road to home (mix of twisty, up and downy A and B roads)

Average MPG for complete trip... 31.8 MPG

Keep revs around 1500 to 2000 and ignore what gear you think you should be in.

Seems to be the trick - oh and having a manual and NOT using cruise control. Sometimes the poor get better value eh ? Auto HSE and SE specs seem to be at least 5-8MPG down on us Base and S drivers Smile

Post #2838417th Nov 2005 9:42 pm
BN

England 

simon wrote:

Crawl through Worcs City and out on Ludlow road to home (mix of twisty, up and downy A and B roads)

Seems to be the trick - oh and having a manual and NOT using cruise control. Sometimes the poor get better value eh ? Auto HSE and SE specs seem to be at least 5-8MPG down on us Base and S drivers Smile

Now what have I been saying from day 1 Wink

Post #2838717th Nov 2005 10:02 pm
simon

BN wrote:
simon wrote:

I know mate and its what I keep repeating too in various posts...I think the D3 is soo quiet and its urge once on the go is so impressive its easy to forget and just cane the damn thing. 0-60 is not its great strength (and not what its designed to do) but once underway it zooms along very happily.

Auto drivers get even more of an urge to press their right foot down as the auto 'box is soo smooth.

Ergo... low MPG if your not careful.

Either forget about the fuel consumption and don't let it rule your life or just enjoy the drive Smile

Post #2839217th Nov 2005 10:21 pm
BN

England 

simon wrote:
BN wrote:
simon wrote:

I know mate and its what I keep repeating too in various posts...I think the D3 is soo quiet and its urge once on the go is so impressive its easy to forget and just cane the damn thing. 0-60 is not its great strength (and not what its designed to do) but once underway it zooms along very happily.

Auto drivers get even more of an urge to press their right foot down as the auto 'box is soo smooth.

Ergo... low MPG if your not careful.

Either forget about the fuel consumption and don't let it rule your life or just enjoy the drive Smile

I have to agree

Post #2839417th Nov 2005 11:03 pm
TC

United Kingdom 

I totaly agree with you Simon, my HSE is currently in the shop - I have a base 7 seater as a loaner - with only 250 miles on the clock it is up to 27.2mpg already and climbing by the mile.

Mine is an HSE Auto with 8.5K on the clock - with all of the toys on it and the autobox the best I can get day to day is 24.5 although cornwall late summer returned me 32......steady and relaxed long disrance cruising not using kick down.

Ultimately though, I didn't buy it to be frugal!!!!!!

One comment though, this is the second base 7 seater I have had as a loan car, the first one wouldn't do more than 23mpg and my driving never changes!!!

Post #2842618th Nov 2005 10:30 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

ST wrote:
I totaly agree with you Simon, my HSE is currently in the shop - I have a base 7 seater as a loaner - with only 250 miles on the clock it is up to 27.2mpg already and climbing by the mile.

Mine is an HSE Auto with 8.5K on the clock - with all of the toys on it and the autobox the best I can get day to day is 24.5 although cornwall late summer returned me 32......steady and relaxed long disrance cruising not using kick down.

Ultimately though, I didn't buy it to be frugal!!!!!!

One comment though, this is the second base 7 seater I have had as a loan car, the first one wouldn't do more than 23mpg and my driving never changes!!!

Same for me, 24 - 25 is the norm on my HSE Auto, if I really try hard I can get 28, but life is too short.

Post #2842918th Nov 2005 10:44 am
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Here in Germany fuel consumption is usually given in litres/100 kms instead of the typical British mpg method (sometimes litres/100 kms pops up in this board too). After some head-scratching Confused , I came up with the conversion formula (reasonably accurate) and thought, in case not everyone knows it, I could put it in here, as a sidenote to this thread. The formula works both ways. Generally it is

280 / known => unknown

e.g.

280 / 30 mpg => 9.3 litres/100 kms

or

280 / 12 litres/100kms => 23.3 mpg

Hope my arithmetic's ok! Embarassed Embarassed It wasn't in the original post - this is now corrected (see http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.ph...91#37821).

Eric

Last edited by espri on 17th Jan 2006 12:27 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2922423rd Nov 2005 12:44 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

espri wrote:
Here in Germany fuel consumption is usually given in litres/100 kms instead of the typical British mpg method (sometimes litres/100 kms pops up in this board too). After some head-scratching Confused , I came up with the conversion formula (reasonably accurate) and thought, in case not everyone knows it, I could put it in here, as a sidenote to this thread. The formula works both ways. Generally it is

270 / known => unknown

e.g.

270 / 30 mpg => 9 litres/100 kms

or

270 / 12 litres/100kms => 22.5mpg

Hope my arithmetic's ok!

Eric
oooooohh too late in the day... you're making my head hurt Sad Wink  
Post #2922523rd Nov 2005 12:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Sorry about that - and it's time for my bed too.
Eric

Post #2922823rd Nov 2005 1:02 am
Jon

United Kingdom 

Hi All – I’m a first time ‘poster’, so go easy on me. I’ve gotta say that finding this site has been a revelation. You regular posters, you know who you are, must be saving LR a fortune in market research (but costing a fortune in obscure requests come service time Wink.

Anyway, the computer in my TDV6 HSE (auto) gets reset each tank full, but I can tell you through the summer the averages were normally 25.5-26.5 per tank and rarely dropped below 25. Highlight was 29.8 over a 1500 mile family holiday from busy Surrey to the glorious Highlands of Scotland via a few golf courses. My mate and his family following in his 2 litre Ford Galaxy couldn’t match it, he didn’t get as much kit on board, they had to thumb a lift off me coz they couldn’t get up rocky track (read gravel driveway) and he had to leave his back row of seats at home.

My normal journey is a fairly easy going 20 miles of low traffic A/B roads all the way to my office, but this week the average is sitting at a lowly 23.8 after 4 days and 200 miles on this current tank. I’m putting this down to the FBH which has been running every morning and most evenings this week.

So now I arrive back where I started because I found this forum whilst looking up ‘Cabin Pre-Heater’ on Google. I still recall the dealers response to my question, “Is a cabin pre-heater available as an option because I didn’t see anything on the website or the documentations LR sent me?” “Well Sir, cabin pre-heating is standard on this HSE.” He has a snotty gram on its way to him as we speak. My aim is some free service vouchers and an apology from my dealer whilst I wait for BN to sort out a fix because he seems to know what he talking about.

Future posts will be shorter… I promise.
 A lone Disco in the land of the Cayenne.  
Post #2923523rd Nov 2005 9:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >