Fudpucker

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Cheers Robbie.

Post #101771312th Dec 2012 8:47 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Fudpucker wrote:
Exclamation marks are not usually used to signify a friendly comment.

Well I apologise if that's how you've taken the comment but that was not the intention, I was trying to be helpful.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #101772512th Dec 2012 9:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fudpucker

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thank you but no need to apologise. This is the problem sometimes with the impersonal nature of emails, forum messages etc - that the way they are intended and the meaning behind them can be easily misunderstood. As others stated on the message string - at least my fbh is working on these cold mornings Thumbs Up

Post #101773512th Dec 2012 9:31 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Getting back to the OT when you girls have finished arguing. Does it actually save fuel turning the heater off and running with an engine that is not up to working temperature? IMHO it don't, if it does the engine is not performing at it's best, surely the sensors are sensing the temperature of everything and saying to the ECU it's cold give the injectors more fuel, i.e. it is under fueled. Consider the days of the petrol engine and running on choke for 5 miles.
If the heater is turned off during a journey will that not switch the FBH off.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #101778912th Dec 2012 12:00 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Get your point

M3DPO....
why should the FBH come on when the engine is clearlyup to temp ?...it can only waste derv

OK the system may detect the temp of the whole shebang is lower than it should be.....if you didnt have a FBH the engine would have to be used to hot the system up...maybe running the engine at less than optimum uses more fuel than the FBH coming in & being used ?

Realistically you can never find the difference out...as each vehicle & set of running conditions is different...

On the whole my D3 gets torunning temperature very swiftly..with none of the "wont go into this gear" situations as per Disco2...everytime it did this I thought there was something wrong.
However the Disco2 had better control of the climate system (by far)
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #101779112th Dec 2012 12:11 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
If the heater is turned off during a journey will that not switch the FBH off.

I seem to remember that in order for the FBH to start in the first place, the heater must be switched on, otherwise if the cabin AAC is not asking for heat, then the FBH will not deliver it (might be wrong though) Whistle

Post #101779212th Dec 2012 12:15 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Kinda right. If the ATCM is selected off or fails then a bundle of systems that it controls are inoperative, but is nothing to do with a call for cabin heat per se. Can't see why anyone would select ATCM off though in normal use.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #101809812th Dec 2012 9:15 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I never turn mine off, but there was quite a discussion a few years back about the role of the FBH. Some maintained it was there purely to bring the engine coolant up to temp quicker, whilst others maintained it was there purely to ensure quicker heat for the cabin and that was why, if the AAC was switched off, the FBH would not start.

I don't suppose it matters either way as the FBH does both, but the OP asked if by turning off the AAC, the FBH would also turn off, it would appear so, although I can't see why you would want to do so Whistle

Post #101837313th Dec 2012 1:34 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

FFBH is all about supplementing the provision of heat to the cabin ...if you just left it to the engine then you'd be mighty chilly this time of the year Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #101838113th Dec 2012 1:48 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

So it would appear that its primary function is to provide heat to the cabin quicker, if so, then it follows that if the cabin heater is not calling for heat, then the FBH does not activate, so switching it off should deactivate it. Thumbs Up

Post #101838713th Dec 2012 2:00 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

While were on the subject Im just out of the car FBH obviously running fine because I have the usual cabin full of fumes, am I just oversensitive to them or do I have the circulation setting wrong?

Post #101839413th Dec 2012 2:10 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

There was a TSB a good few years ago about FFBH fumes in the cabin

EDIT here it is : LA412-002, VIN range 5A000360-6A380334 - pre 2007 models I think Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #101839713th Dec 2012 2:18 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

M3DPO wrote:
I don't have any prob with fbh(famous last words), my heater has always kicked in at 4*, I have just had the car serviced and it now kicks in with an ice motif before it at 5 degrees, this shows the temp it kicks in must be adjustable with the correct tool,- Failtmate?
Another interesting point, there is no legal reason why the FBH cannot be run on red diesel providing a separate fuel tank is used soleley for this purpose Thumbs Up

no you cant change the FBH cut in temp
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #101840113th Dec 2012 2:32 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Do you have a link to that TSB ? Mine has always smelt in the cabin as well Sad

Post #101846913th Dec 2012 4:33 pm
tj2k

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

All, I've read a few threads about the FBH prior to purchasing my recently acquired D3 (BTW Hello all!) and in many threads, inc. this one, I've heard / read references to a "cloud of smoke" / steam or, basically varying observations / descriptions around the exhaust from the FBH.

So in my case, I have the BAS FBH kit (very happy with it I am too) and I am regularly starting mine (FBH via BAS) up prior to starting the engine & driving away & it works very well. But it doesn't seem to produce any visible smoke / steam / water vapour / exhaust. The exhaust is noticiably smelly as you'd expect - slightly diesel-exhaust smell (not that I deliberately sniff it of course Razz ) but it doesn't "smoke". I've noticed this in varying weather types (i.e. wet/dry/frost - always below 2c). Of course, the engine pre-warms before it is started and the heater (when the fan starts after starting the engine) - is hot.

I retro fitted an Eberspacher to a Defender 90 G4 LE I used to own, with a bi-directional comms remote control and (that also operated the heater / fans within the cab) - that too, didn't "smoke" much either. There was, when it first started, a very small-scale boiling-kettle-like jet from the aluminium exhaust - but this was barely noticeable and was clear as soon as it'd been running for a few seconds.

I have heard of people seeing plumes of smoke?

Perhaps this is down to environmental conditions during usage?? Different countries perhaps? I've only seen mine in usage at -5 degrees - perhaps other peeps are -10-20 odd! Smile

Post #101861213th Dec 2012 9:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >