DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension 'Naughty and Nice, it's faulted more than twice'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
edshmoo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Suspension 'Naughty and Nice, it's faulted more than twice'

Hello chaps,

Can I ask some advice from the seasoned fault fixers amongst you?

I've got a Disco 3 2.7 tdi Metropolis 2006 with 118k under its wheels. I've spent quite a bit on it with Land Rover Leicester in the last month on various things, list can be provided if anyone's that interested.

The fault that they seem unable to cure or should I say find....is the following:

When I first got the car, after about 20 miles/20 mins the yellow suspension fault light appears on the dash. It is not flashing.

I also found on a few occasions, but not all that when I get in the car and start it, the screen says the car is in 'extended' mode, when it clearly isn't and that I have to reset it.
The local dealer was very quick to change the compressor which of course did not cure the fault. I then started to notice that the front left corner, possibly the whole left side was sinking down faster than the other corners. So the dealer then replaced the cross over valve at the front. This also did not cure the problem!

Apart from the fact that I'm starting to doubt the local dealers knowledge, I'd quite like to get the darn thing doing what it should as we like the car.

I'm thinking it's a sensor issue, but why can't the bloody dealer work that out?

Any pointers would be very helpful.

On a slight side note....I've just done a Land Rover half day course at Eastnor Castle and stopped at the Golden Gates gate house. Both of which I can recommend. (should have got their mechanic to look at my car maybe?!)

Thanks,

Ed

Post #101802212th Dec 2012 7:02 pm
Brian GOG

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It sounds like you have a sensor problem.Ideally I would recommend getting the vehicle onto a computer where you can watch the live readings from each sensor. The front and rear (as pairs) should roughly be the same as each other, you are looking for one been out in comparsion. Once you can identify the corner check the wiring back to the main loom, I've seem a few with corrosion on a wire causing a high resistance which the vehicle thinks as a different height.
Brian
Green Oval

Post #101818812th Dec 2012 11:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

couple of thoughts:

a) have you or the previous owners had the tracking done?

b) have you checked the tyre pressures

c) are the tred depths the same and I assume all the tyres are the same make, rating, size etc.

a) answer - may have been done incorrectly ie not put in to "tight tollerance mode" and therefore the suspension is osillating (spelt wrong) on opposite corners, hence the symptoms

b) answer - with the wrong pressures, the car will think yer going around a corner, hence for it throwing up the errors

d) answer - as above

Regards the height sensors, simple way would be to park the car on level ground with the engine running and all the doors closed and the air suspension on normal road height. Get a tape measure and measure the distance from the middle of the hub on each wheel to the underside of the wheel arch - should point to which height sensor is possibly fubar'd. However if you do suspect a height sensor (which are made of plastic), then would suggest you change all four from personal experience, they are not expensive. Remember to get the air suspension "re-calibrated" Thumbs Up

Post #101923114th Dec 2012 11:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >