Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Blackbox Solutions

Amazing new BBS development.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>
Wiggy Man

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Collin,

I have a Mac too so if you need any Beta testing on that I'd be more than happy to assist.
Looking forward to the developments Thumbs Up

Post #87475723rd Dec 2011 2:49 pm
Syd

United Kingdom 

Syd wrote:
Pete & Colin

So, with the new lead and possibly a std FCR Pete could remap my RR Sport that I keep in Spain, if so when can I have one ???

Syd

Should add, I run Win 7 Ultimate 32bit on my laptop & Win 7 Ultimate 64bit on my desktop, also have an old Dell laptop running Win XP Pro 32 bit So am willing / wanting to give it a go, so please add me to your pre order list. Thumbs Up

Syd
 In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Down and out's Velar
In UK - Dare not say on this Forum
Gone - Lots of Lode Lane vehicles.
- Beta User 

Post #87476223rd Dec 2011 2:59 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well done Colin Thumbs Up

Glad you have revealed this little gem to the general public .

Like Pete ... It's been a Censored keeping it secret Razz

I'm sure many will benefit from this service ... Keep up the good work
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #87478523rd Dec 2011 3:44 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks to all for their comments of praise and appreciation, to Wiggs & Pete especially, as i know you guys have struggled to keep this development a secret for far longer than i had expected. Sorry i did not get to let you know i was going to reveal this directly, but it was really a very last minute pre Christmas decision and today i have been pre occupied with so much being our last working day of the year Whistle

Of course it has been even more difficult for you two knowing the technology is being developed that will provide the ability to apply your expertise and ability to help owners anywhere in the world enable and flash stuff on their vehicles rather than only those you can physically reach.

I will try to answer some of your questions

Re windows 7 and MAC capability:
Of course the web site access part only requires any web browser, so pretty much anything goes, but the Genesis Client that connects the VCI 2 via a Com port and so the vehicle to the Genesis web site via the internet, uses windows only library elements. It is Java based, so happily works on pretty much any flavor of windows (i have used XP and windows 7 no problem) and should happily run in a Windows emulator on a MAC, but at present this is untested.

Quote:
So the £80 lead is needed, but will there be any other costs?

Of course, only requiring an £80 Interface / lead is a tremendous saving over the hardware costs of either the MSV-2 and the FCR, both of which already include this lead already. But as with either of these systems, there will also be some software cost / licensing element depending on requirement, circumstances and what BBS licensing someone already has. I can't / Won't go into much detail on this, as most of it is not worked out yet, however the flexibility that Genesis provides in licensing possibilities is pretty endless.

Quote:
Does this include MY12?

We can do pretty much anything on Genesis that we can on the MSV-2, but we still have to work things out for newer vehicles before we can add it to either.

Quote:
it never amazes me how you people engineer all this stuff and get it all to work.

Actually we obviously had this working quite nicely 18 months ago, but then you have to sort out every "what if" scenario you can possibly think of, then ease of use, security, licensing and so on and on and on.
Going via the internet, of which the connection cannot be guaranteed, has posed massive problems we have had to find very innovative solutions for to make the system as smooth and bullet proof as possible.

Quote:
can see this will still be essential for those occasions when no internet connection is available.

Indeed, for both FCR and MSV-2 owners, this Genesis development will offer the possibility of additional options and usage possibilities but does not detract from either one's original purpose.

Post #87486423rd Dec 2011 6:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Henrik

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hmm I do feel a bit unsure as I recently bought the msv2. Do I understand it correctly that you offer the same functionality for £80 ?

Post #87487623rd Dec 2011 7:11 pm
race.it

Spain 

Your msv2 hardware is about £300 and that is HARDWARE, its the software thats the neat trick here, thats what you pay for from BBS the knowledge they have inside the software, hence the actual hardware is quite cheap, check out the price of there MV software etc.

So yes the lead part is £80 if you can buy it separate, which I think colin did say it was not possible without a fcr or msv unit that you have in your ownership, but the remaining large Q of final cost will be answered once Colin has sorted out some pricing structure then you will be able to compare.

And I don't actually have the MSV at present, my order has gone in today (even with this new product coming.) Thumbs Up

Post #87488023rd Dec 2011 7:17 pm
race.it

Spain 

On a side note any plans to convert the serial port lead to be a usb lead? Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #87488123rd Dec 2011 7:23 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Race, I use a USB lead to serial with no probs. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #87489723rd Dec 2011 8:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
race.it

Spain 

I have no issues with usb to serial, its just i have habit of loosing the serial to usb part (dont ask) so as the amount of laptops with serial ports is quite limited (think just some old dell, and toughbooks still have them) thought it would save me some cash to have the usb attached Wink

Post #87490023rd Dec 2011 8:11 pm
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

race.it - assemble your usb/serial adapter cable then put some heat shrink around it - keeps it together in one piece if they dont screw together as my adapter does.

Post #87504024th Dec 2011 8:46 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

The MSV is pretty picky about the USB to serial adapter, requiring one of the better ones with a bit of buffering due to the high data throughput on occasion, and more correct voltages due to our tapping into the Serial data lines with a number of processors etc. However the VCI 2 is very tolerant and i bought some dog cheap convertors that just plug on the end of the lead / interface and they work just great. I will make these available.

race.it,
Regards USB over serial:
I do appreciate that from an external point of view, anything not USB seems old and backwards, and this has been discussed before, even on here. But most things of this nature that you see with USB simply have the converter bits on board, thus encountering the same driver aspects, raising the build cost and actually removing a much faster, cleaner and better option for smaller quantity data handling. And of course you must not forget that this stand alone usage was not actually what the VCI 2 was originally designed for.

Henrik
Please allow me to reiterate what i have already stated and re assure you and anyone else that might imagine i would have no fair regard or respect for our existing customers investment in us and our equipment.

I will certainly not be producing something that will instantly replace or compete with either the MSV-2 or the FCR capabilities at a fraction of the cost, or make either obsolete.

While Genesis may be considered a new alternate system in it's own right, with lower initial hardware outlay and much greater software licensing flexibility, possibly providing greater pick and choose desired functionality, and thereby some saving, this will be countered by the fact that Genesis requires an internet connection and will not necessarily have all the same capability.

It is also countered by the fact that it will add more usability to existing owners of both MSV-2 and FCR's.

As stated, licensing details are far from worked out, but i will try to give some examples of a few desired scenarios that the Genesis development could make possible for existing owners of our equipment including MSV-2 in either SV or MV licenses.

An FCR owner wants to be able to reset his Service reminder (or other).
He pays a fee to enable service resetting (or other) on his vehicle on Genesis and then uses his VCI 2 to do this.

An MSV-2 SV owner wants to be able to reset his mates Service reminder (or other).
He pays a fee to enable service reminder resetting (or other) for his mates vehicle on Genesis and then uses his VCI 2 to do this. he might also have a clone capability to another vehicle option.

An MSV-2 MV owner wants to be able to enable 4x4 info (or other) on someones vehicle in some remote place.
He either supplies them directly with a VCI 2 they will already have access to, or pays us an access fee for one we have directly supplied to the end user, either of which will automatically include clone capability.

From these examples, it is clear that the licensing possibilities with Genesis are, as i have already stated, almost endless, and can offer absolutely everyone some benefit to what the already have. I will of course try to do my very best to ensure that the benefits of Genesis are shared absolutely equally and that must include anyone in some far away place who just want the very cheapest way possible to self enable their 4x4 info etc.

Post #87525824th Dec 2011 7:41 pm
race.it

Spain 

thanks colin, i have no issue with serial Wink its just mu toughbook prob needs updating at some time, thats the slowest part of my existing diagnostics kit (for bm's)

I have had issues with usb to serial but have found the ones in maplins fine, i just loose them, but i will buy a few more and use heat sync as mentioned above.

I will never escape serial i think as the data loggers that i use are all programmed by serial (just wish laptop makers kept the ports)

Looking forward to further information on this new development Bow down

Post #87526224th Dec 2011 7:52 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Sounds great for me.

This sounds like what I have been waiting for.

If I understand correctly, I buy the whatever it is called, snuggle the 3 up close to the house and run an internet cable out to the device; put my big battery charger on the 3, connect up on a prearranged time slot with someone like Wiggs or Bodsy who knowns how to actually do updates and then for a fee, I can get all those one of kind updates done to my 2005 LR3 that I have been dreaming about such as the 3 flash turn signal thing, NAV on the go, and maybe new blue tooth software.

I have always felt there is more than a bit of a learning curve to these updates and that paying someone to do it is worthwhile if one is like me, kind of computer challenged, and not too keen to have the 3 down due to a mis-flash and a learning curve update being required.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #87550426th Dec 2011 12:15 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Quote:
(just wish laptop makers kept the ports)

Well said race.it
I think it's an effect of the role of laptops moving more toward communication over internet than scientific or technical usage.

bbyer
Yes, you are spot on with your understanding of how i forsee Genesis being used by existing MSV-2 MV owners, and of course this is one of the biggest reasons i have actually been developing Genesis and why the two most notable MV owners and users were, as established BBS associates and Beta testers party the fact we have been working on it. Syncing up time wise with your selected "expert" should be childs play with modern communications.

It should come as no surprise that we have developed something that so exactly meets your needs, and that of countless others. As i have never made it a secret that a big part of my being an interactive member here is gathering information about what folks want and need so we develop in the desired directions. Hence the SPY part of my user name Whistle

As was the case with the MSV-2 developments, then the FCR and the Service Reset tool, Each has been especially developed to meet a requirement it fits perfectly and each has earned huge appreciation in it's own right.

In this case i simply noticed the many posts from those, often in remote places, asking if anyone near them has an MSV-2 with MV licensing to enable stuff for them, which were of course unanswered, and of course i appreciate that for many the cost of an MSV-2 system even with SV Licensing is too much just to enable a few things. And as you state, even then, there is the learning curve, confidence and experience aspect. Although a lot have gone this way and are very glad to have done so and now even they can use their VCI-2 to plug into someone else's vehicle and use Genesis to read their fault codes, reset their service reminder and so on.

Genesis effectively means absolutely everyone just moved up a rung on the ladder one way or another.

Post #87562526th Dec 2011 6:04 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

happy new year then Smile

would be nice to have bluetooth cable device to android tab/phone running ice cream sandwich sometime in the future. Otherwise will have to have widoze ruinning in a virtual machine on ubuntu for now.

will buy one (get one free ? Rolling Eyes ) anyway
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #87564326th Dec 2011 6:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >