Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

LAW REGARDS D3/D4 TOWING AS OF 4TH DEC 2011 -UPDATE 29/05/12
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 19 <123 ... 131415 ... 171819>
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

recon we'll all have to wait till 1st June but current thinking seems to be saying that so long as the equipment is your legal title or being hired by you and delivered/collected of your own accord, then yer dont need an OL at the moment even if the equipment being delivered has been paid for as in the case of a plant hire company Shocked

Post #92009412th Apr 2012 9:28 pm
sj9011

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I have it in writing from VOSA HQ that the Discovery is an exempt vehicle so does not need a O licence dated March this year

Sean

Post #92043213th Apr 2012 7:32 pm
character

lets have a copy....pm with email on its way Thumbs Up

BTW - depends very much on how you use the D3 Shocked

Post #92046113th Apr 2012 8:36 pm
sj9011

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Pm sent, in my email to vosa I stated that I towed boats for profit/reward and use a tacho whilst doing so to the max 3.5t

Post #92056214th Apr 2012 8:42 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Doesn't all this depend on the courts' interpretation of the regulations, not VOSA. Just cos VOSA says you can do X or not do Y, the courts might think differently. Whistle Whistle

Discuss. Thumbs Up

Post #92059514th Apr 2012 11:31 am
Walkzinho

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

sj9011 wrote:
I have it in writing from VOSA HQ that the Discovery is an exempt vehicle so does not need a O licence dated March this year

Sean

Please could you also send me a copy of that e-mail? Many thanks.

I use a Discovery to tow a 16ft Graham Edwards trailer for my marquee hire company. I also have a Transit LWB dropside that I was contemplating fitting a towbar to, I think I may have to revisit that option now.

Im slightly annoyed by the ambiguity of the DofT and VOSA with all this new legislation, VOSA have records of companies that have had taco's fitted why can't they distribute leaflets with all this info in?

Post #92396523rd Apr 2012 8:59 pm
Wack61

You shouldn't need an o licence for your business unless the trailer is over 1020kg unladen, if it is you'll need one whatever you tow it with

Thoughbthatbis just my personal view and shouldn't be relied on in a court of law

Do you have a tachograph in the disco

Last edited by Wack61 on 23rd Apr 2012 11:31 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #92403723rd Apr 2012 10:49 pm
Wack61

sj9011 wrote:
Pm sent, in my email to vosa I stated that I towed boats for profit/reward and use a tacho whilst doing so to the max 3.5t

Did you tell them you use it for towing at a train weight of 6.5t

If you told them you use it to the max 3.5t they might think you deliver rowing boats on a 50kg trailer and are under 3500kg fully loaded including the trailer

It's a question that needs clarification because as soon as this grace period ends they'll have the right to confiscate your vehicle.

I submitted my application today.

£125 to put the ad in the paper
£250 to apply
£391 for the licence
£40 a year per vehicle.

I'm better off than most, I did my CPC 15 years ago and have somewhere to store the vehicle, I can see a lot saying sod it.

I would if I had to pay someone 8 hours a week to do naf all

Post #92404323rd Apr 2012 10:56 pm
character

Wack61 wrote:
You won't need an o licence for your business unless the trailer is over 1020kg unladen, if it is you'll need one whatever you tow it with

Do you have a tachograph in the disco
is that a LEGAL opinion or just your own personal view, please be very careful not to post without a disclaimer of soughts as you might find yer hung out to dry Whistle  
Post #92404523rd Apr 2012 10:59 pm
character

DSL wrote:
Doesn't all this depend on the courts' interpretation of the regulations, not VOSA. Just cos VOSA says you can do X or not do Y, the courts might think differently. Whistle Whistle

Discuss. Thumbs Up
Hit the nail on the head, as has been posted, you write to VOSA who see the phrase "Land Rover" in your description and automatically assume it is a DPV coz the legislation says "Land Rovers" however, and this is the big one, the kerb weight of any DPV has to be less than 2040kg as well as more than one passenger seat, able to go off road etc etc.

But, how many of you know the kerb weight of your wife's car - probably not many of yer so its not suprising yer VOSA desk jockey writes backs saying its a DPV and thus exempt from the need for an OL BUT IN DOING SO ALSO INCLUDES IN THEIR REPLY THAT THIS IS A VIEW OF THE AUTHOR ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY THE VIEW OF THE LAW!!

Come 1st June (and there is talk about extending the cut off date even further), VOSA at the roadside and PC Traffic Officer (Heavy Unit) will either know as you come up the road or will weigh you off and then say yer not a DPV "oh and BTW, we're going to impound your vehicle and its load here and now - you'll have to appeal to the regional traffic commissioner within 21 days to get it back ahead of appearing in court to face a min of £5k fine, plus costs etc"

Whistle Whistle

Post #92405323rd Apr 2012 11:13 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

character wrote:
DSL wrote:

Discuss. Thumbs Up
Hit the nail on the head, as has been posted,

This thread ...Page 9

DG wrote:
This could go around in circles for sometime until the legislation is tested and can then be viewed from the point of case law rather than what is quite clearly a bunch of ambiguos interpretations from VOSA Thumbs Up

Character ...I think you should put yourself forward as the chief tester Whistle Laughing

Whistle Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #92406123rd Apr 2012 11:27 pm
Wack61

Character, do you have any more info on a possible extension of the grace period, I've put my application in but as I'm under the 9 weeks I was going to pay the £66 to get the interim licence.

If they're extending it I won't need to

I was also concerned to see the criteria for appeal if they impound your vehicle

The only grounds for getting it back are

You already have an o licence
You don't need one
The vehicle was being driven without your permission ie it was stolen

If you don't fulfil any of those criterior they keep it and sell it.

Post #92406223rd Apr 2012 11:28 pm
character

from those colleagues who have been pulled in the past few months on routine checks, my understanding is that so long as you have applied for one and you have recieved an email from traffic commisioner's office with an application number, then this is what VOSA will be looking for when they stop yer - so no need at present to get an interim licence (although the DofT would welcome yer money).

BTW has your advert been published as yet?

Given the huge number of new vehicles falling into 1071/2009, my view would be that the TC would find it hard to keep the vehicle but hey, will not know until there's a test case Shocked

Last edited by character on 23rd Apr 2012 11:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #92406523rd Apr 2012 11:34 pm
Wack61

character wrote:
from those colleagues who have been pulled in the past few months on routine checks, my understanding is that so long as you have applied for one and you have recieved an email from traffic commisioner's office with an application number, then this is what VOSA will be looking for when they stop yer - so no need at present to get an interim licence (although the DofT would welcome yer money).

BTW has your advert been published as yet?

Yes, went in the paper Thursday

Post #92406623rd Apr 2012 11:35 pm
character

so have yer sent off yer application prior to the advert has expired - if so yer might want to wait a few days till it has otherwise your application will sit on a very large pile of incomplete applications Wink

Post #92406823rd Apr 2012 11:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 14 of 19 <123 ... 131415 ... 171819>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >