Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

LAW REGARDS D3/D4 TOWING AS OF 4TH DEC 2011 -UPDATE 29/05/12
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 19 <123 ... 121314 ... 171819>
Ian G

Just outside isn't much of a defence in law.

Would sting a bit to be prosecuted using a 110 pick up 2kg overweight on the paperwork, but it's entirely feasible that it could be made to stick.

Edit - or were you meaning you could move the threshold a bit and get quite a few cars?

I would be raising it to 3.5t in line with B on a driving licence to encourage people to get a heavy vehicle to do the job with.

Seems a ridiculous oversight by LR that they've built things just the wrong side of that threshold as well. Surely they can find 22kg in a 110.

Post #87588627th Dec 2011 10:40 pm
Ian G

And also - just as the legislation changes to accommodate Defenders, LR will replace them with a new - probably heaver - one!

Post #87588927th Dec 2011 10:44 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/consultations/gov...ummary.pdf

page 41, Construction & Use Regs 1986

would appear that it is under review, however the consultation period ended 15th Dec 2011, recon its still worth a letter to RtHon Secretary of State for Transport Justine Greening MP along with her colleague Rt Hon Mike Penning MP Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport to get um to revise/abolish the weight restriction for a DPV Thumbs Up

Post #87593928th Dec 2011 2:03 am
Ian G

Would make more sense abolished.

Not sure if we've visited this point but I'm also curious to what extent it includes double cab vehicles, particularly those which are not 4x4 like an Iveco Daily tipper - http://imganuncios.mitula.net/iveco_daily_...744843.jpg

That is 3.5t so B on the driving licence.

Then assuming you need 4x4 what would happen someone made one of these light enough -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...ly_4x4.jpg

Or whether you could downplate it.

They are essentially 'dual purpose' although not in the spirit of the exemption. I'm getting deja vous here did I already ask this? Whistle

Post #87594028th Dec 2011 2:13 am
character

d'yer know what, was thinking about one of those t'other day but to be practical, by the time you've downplated it its carrying capacity would be less than a standard 3500kg Iveco Chassis which would carry a 1350kg payload depending on what material you used for the bodywork.

TBH, I really do think the chap at the DofT has got it wrong and with the Goverment openingly reviewing the relevance of Construction & Use Regulations 1986 or its duplication in other current legislation, I recon we all need to write in on this aspect to our MP's /Senior Front Benchers as it seems stupid that I can own a minidigger and hire it to another party delivering it with my D3 and trailer and NOT need an O-Licence or travel the length and breath of this land with own equipment on a trailer, but the moment I travel more than 6 miles with a trailer and someone elses car on the back, I need the same restrictions as if I'm carrying 9 vehicles on a 44 ton car transporter Shocked

Last edited by character on 28th Dec 2011 2:22 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #87594228th Dec 2011 2:18 am
Ian G

You'd be towing with it though so payload would be less critical.

Even a regular panel van with additional seats is DPV if you overlook the number of driven wheels.

Post #87594328th Dec 2011 2:21 am
Ian G

Can't we just send them this thread save typing it out again Rolling with laughter

Post #87594428th Dec 2011 2:21 am
Ian G

I reckon they want to say passenger car in there somewhere to exclude vans like that but don't want to also exclude commercials Defenders/Discos etc.

Hence why you have the vague 'Land Rover, Shogun etc.' references, ie. passenger car but we can't say that because it'll annoy the farmers.

Post #87594528th Dec 2011 2:23 am
character

Ian G wrote:
You'd be towing with it though so payload would be less critical.

Even a regular panel van with additional seats is DPV if you overlook the number of driven wheels.

sorry matey, that's not the case, if you were towing with a regular van for hire or reward you would need an O-Licence, but as you say that Iveco would have to be a "double cab" to consitute a DPV. Remember the law says for the carrying of goods and "PASSENGERS" and with the Iveco being classed as a Light Goods Vehicle by its VED classification, then recon you'd be a brave man to see that one to court Whistle

Post #87594628th Dec 2011 2:26 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

character wrote:
I recon we all need to write in on this aspect to our MP's /Senior Front Benchers as it seems stupid that I can own a minidigger and hire it to another party delivering it with my D3 and trailer and NOT need an O-Licence or travel the length and breath of this land with own equipment on a trailer, but the moment I travel more than 6 miles with a trailer and someone elses car on the back, I need the same restrictions as if I'm carrying 9 vehicles on a 44 ton car transporter Shocked

I think you are right there Matthew, One of David Camerons big manifesto pledges was to slash red tape for smaller business.

Post #87595028th Dec 2011 8:09 am
Ian G

Oh yeah, forgot tax class will also affect it.

Post #87596128th Dec 2011 9:42 am
Wack61

Phew
This has been a long read

I use a iveco daily and trailer for road haulage almost every day, I recently found out about this change.

Luckily I took my CPC 15 years ago and still have the certificate so getting a licence shouldnt be a problem.

I was considering selling the daily and using a 110 hi capacity pickup in its place but I'm not sure if I'd fancy tramping up and down the country in a defender

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and apply, because It's under the 9 weeks they require to process the application it's going to be another £60 odd quid to speed it up.

I can see a lot of operators thinking sod it that's the end especially if they have to employ a transport manager as well as renting an operating centre , it's £7600 in the bank for a licence, I could rebuild a daily from the chassis up for that, ridiculous

I have a friend who does airport transfers, apart from the frequent vehicle checks he has no requirement to log his hours at all

People never think about the driver of the taxi they put their kids in but he could have been working since 8am the previous morning when he picks you up at 4am to take you to the airport.

Apparently taxis are exempt because if hours were restricted they could run out of time 1/2 way through a job dumping people at the roadside.

Post #91976112th Apr 2012 7:52 am
character

they say proof of the puddings in the eating..........business associate of mine who runs with a D3 and trailer (like me), got pulled in by VOSA last week on the M6 Stafford site - just wanted to check his tacho charts etc and then he got talking to the examiner regards his LR and whether its consituted as being a DPV?

He was so suprised at her reply he asked her to confirm this "opinion" via email.....

"I have verified with management that dual purpose vehicles such as your Land Rover will be exempt operator licencing. The weight limit applies to vehicles that are 'similar' to dual purpose vehicles but are not strictly classed as such. "

Shocked Shocked

Post #92007812th Apr 2012 9:00 pm
character

Gareth wrote:
I think you are right there Matthew, One of David Camerons big manifesto pledges was to slash red tape for smaller business.

Letters fired off this week to VOSA Public Directate, Rt Hon Under Secretary For Transport and Western Regional Traffic Commissioner .... see what rubbish that brings Rolling with laughter

Post #92008212th Apr 2012 9:03 pm
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I was stopped a couple of months ago for general check ie plant not stolen etc, and was asked if I had o licence, when I told em "no do I need one" they asked for trailer weight and when I told em they said in that case no you don't, that's good enough for me, I did a thread then to let everyone know thinking now I shoulda put it on this one. But for now until next time I get stopped am all clear

Andy
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #92009112th Apr 2012 9:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 13 of 19 <123 ... 121314 ... 171819>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >