Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

CaverD3
Yeah ya can

Try harder Thumbs Up

Last edited by norto on 23rd Nov 2007 9:08 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22699823rd Nov 2007 9:07 am
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Yes, it isnt cheap - $1000 plus GST in Perth at Franzone Motors and I have to confess at first I was a bit disappointed at the power increase after I drove off afterwards in the City (but then I did spend the last year driving a restored AMG '79 Merc with a 6.9 V8 Laughing !).

However, where you really notice the difference is when you stick the gear lever into the tiptronic mode and use the thottle a bit more prodigously - wow!!
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #22699923rd Nov 2007 9:07 am
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I am getting a lot of flack from other 4x4 caravan owners for towing without a WDH. Now from my observation the D3 towing a caravan has performed brilliantly but as there seems to be some doubt I am interested to know if anyone has had a close call from not using a WDH or does anyone know of a major incident namely a roll over that can be attributed to not using a WDH with a D3. The cost of getting an after market towbar and a HR WDH seems over the top if in fact LR will still blame its use for any warranty problems that may occur as a result of it considering they have specifically forbidden its use without endorsing its use with a different towbar.
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #25974215th Feb 2008 11:43 am
anthill

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

lawrie50 wrote:
I am getting a lot of flack from other 4x4 caravan owners for towing without a WDH. Now from my observation the D3 towing a caravan has performed brilliantly but as there seems to be some doubt I am interested to know if anyone has had a close call from not using a WDH or does anyone know of a major incident namely a roll over that can be attributed to not using a WDH with a D3. The cost of getting an after market towbar and a HR WDH seems over the top if in fact LR will still blame its use for any warranty problems that may occur as a result of it considering they have specifically forbidden its use without endorsing its use with a different towbar.

I and another member of our caravan club have towed many thousands of KMs without using a WDH, both on bitumen and gravel. All I can say to other 4X4 owners is that they sell what they have and get a D3.

A number of caravanners class a WDH as anti sway bars, this is of course not true. Hayman Reece have a set of cams for their WDH to counteract sway but there are also friction anti sway methods on the market but I do use any.
 TDV6 SE (Ausie Spec) COOOL Chawton White.  
Post #25975415th Feb 2008 12:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GC

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Lawrie

Like you I am towing a 23' van and on the road full time (heading north from Brisbane, Cairns by July??).

I try and keep my head low and keep out of the experts discussions. Our rigs are always running level and I am sure you are more than happy with the control you have. One thing you can do is to put the van and car across a weigh bridge and weigt the front axle with and without the van on. You will find that the van takes about 100kg off the front axle. When you have the info and they start state the facts and ask how much weight differance their WHDs make. No one will be able to tell you. Whistle

Ask if 100kg off the front axle is acceptable to them. What if you put a bullbar and winch on the front of their tugs do you need some WHD for the rear axle to keep the rear wheels on the ground. Then if you get game enough line up the guy with the patrol and his boat on the roof and ask if he is within the specs of the tug. As I said I keep my head low, send me the video if ever you get that far.

gc

Post #25975615th Feb 2008 12:20 pm
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Lawrie

I have been towing an off-road van for several years. With my old Disco 2 I had a HR Towbar fitted and used a WDH. It towed great. With the Disco 3 and no WDH it pulls and acts the same - perfect. My new van is a lot heavier (about 2500 unladed) and travelling is a breeze on both bitumen and dirt.

I get a bit tired of all the 'experts' on the various caravan forums who maintain that you MUST have a WDH for safe travelling. With their sedans and 'other' 4x4 they certainly need a WDH and like to push the point that if they have one - everyone should have one.
 Retired Bob
2005 Disco 3 HSE TDV6 (Dual Battery, Snorkel, Nudge Bar, Kaymar Spare Wheel Carriers, Long Ranger Aux Tank. LED Shunt, Centre Console Cooler, New Tail Shaft, New Gear Box, Rigged for towing) Towing Trakmaster Van as often as possible 

Post #25991115th Feb 2008 6:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >