Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
stewmair

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
S vs SE

Ordered a TDV6 S. Mostly we will tow an "outback" Jayco Penguin, not off road ..been there done that in the 70's Very Happy , but will go to Gibb river and sutch. Most comments about towing do not differentiate between S and SE. How much will the S need a levelride? I had airbags in the Disco 1 to avoid levelrides. Should I reorder to the SE despite it riding unladen like a 1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air Surprised or keep the trusty, rowdy, slow 14 yo Tdi or go ahead with the S ?

Post #12444127th Jan 2007 8:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

stew
i have the S with coils, if you can afford it go for the SE.
The coils too short for off roading and too soft for towing and there isnt much fruit in the base model

Post #12452027th Jan 2007 10:16 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: S vs SE

Go for the SE. You won't regret it, but once in the S you might regret not getting the SE.
stewmair wrote:
Should I reorder to the SE despite it riding unladen like a 1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air Surprised or keep the trusty, rowdy, slow 14 yo Tdi or go ahead with the S ?

I wouls disagree about the S suspension. The Air suspension handles better especially on unsealed roads. It is also kept level when towing or with large load.
I have only heard complaints about the damping with heavy loads, but not everyone has experienced this. I am sure there are others who will comment on this (Desert Traveller? Jamo? are you out there?)
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #12455228th Jan 2007 2:21 am
stewmair

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Towing

The advice is taken..out to test an SE again hoping that Sally doesn't get motion sickness on minor twisty roads..cos then she'll want to drive.

Post #12455528th Jan 2007 4:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Know the feeling stewmair Rolling Eyes It's just an excuse to sample the permagrin Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #12456928th Jan 2007 9:44 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi stewmair, in the interests of economy, I got an S model with air suspension. Whilst I haven't tested the coil version, I have read about the limitations to clearances (on this site) and am glad I went for the air suspension. I think the only other thing I should have held out for is locker rear diff as it seems to be very desirable for peace of mind in the absolute rough stuff.

But I have had mine (without the locker rear diff) in some slushy stuff and am very happy with its performance. Just used the Terrain Response setting to suit.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #12457128th Jan 2007 10:09 am
White Disco

Australia 

Welcome aboard Stewmair,
Go for the S but get air susp. as an option. I think once you get the air susp. you also get terrain resp. & a trip Computer. I also got centre and rear diff locks.
Cheers,
David

Edit: My Leader of the Opposition/ Treasurer and the 2 constituents also complained at first of motion sickness whilst driving from Healesville to Pakenham via the hills. They got used to it quickly. (Maybe the sickness is from the fumes from new plastic/vinyl??!!??)
Cheers,
David.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #12475229th Jan 2007 12:58 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I don't tow anything more than a box trailer. Where I travel in the Disco vans fear to tread. With sir suspension (and the electronic rear diff) you can't even tell that you are loaded on gravel roads or bush tracks. Just did 500kms on Fraser last weekend including the inland tracks. It is smooooooooth. The setup with air suspension takes a lot of bounce out of the Disco on pot holed tracks. On these tracks the average speed was just 20kmh, bit quicker than some sections of the French line (Simpson Desert) where average speeds vary from 13 to 18 kph.
I will never buy an offroad vehicle without self leveling air suspension, rather go without and go boating instead. The rear diff is essential if you do any serious off road driving.
One comment, 60 series tyres are a drawback when in soft sand (can't get a long enough foot print and the 255 mm tyres act as bull dozers). Either get 17" wheels with 70 series tyres or be prepared to suffer the occassional "I'm stuck".
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #12514030th Jan 2007 12:15 am
Jamo

Australia 

Hello stewmair, welcome aboard! Very Happy

If the budget allows..GET THE AIR SUSPENSION.

Like Desert Traveller, I only tow the odd box trailer; but since I've got the ARB front BAr, Kaymar Rear Bar, auzx fuel tank, roofrack etc; I'm often loaded up to over 3tn.

Stable as!. I've never experienced the damper fade that some have mentioned. Nor the motion sickness bit (althought this may have been there but completely overshadowed by my excitement at the time).

Plus, I do a lot of gravel road driving and sometimes across paddocks. There is no comparison between a coil sprung car and the air suspension.

But I suppose it all comes down to $$$. Best of luck with your purchase! 8)
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #12516530th Jan 2007 12:30 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Stewmair - you should be aware though, if the budget doesn't stretch far enough to an SE, that there are now coil ande shock upgrades available for the S. And from from I've read, even the S is a great vehicle - tho iut does need the longer coils for clearance and ride.

That being said - I got the SE Smile

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #12569131st Jan 2007 2:08 am
turtle146

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Towing with a D3

It's interesting to note that Overlander 4x4 mag wrote an article about towing in their July 2006 edition. In that they praised the D3 for its towing capability and smoothness. They also used a HR WDH, which they didn't realise they shouldn't until they returned home. They have not tested the D3 without using a WDH yet.
My local towbar manufacturer has tested several vehicles, and has found that the D3 is extremely unstable (nose light) when used without a WDH, but becomes very stable once it is connected.
My experience is the same as the manufacturer. I felt as if the D3 was never going to turn some of the corners I was approaching, as I drove to Bundy recently. At times the van even started to fishtail, which is very scarry!!
Our van is a 7m offroad dual wheel van with a ball height of 450mm off the road. It has a curb weight of approx 2600kg semi laden (full tanks). I was using a HR WD hitch but no bars. I had to use the hitch to get the required height. Since that trip, LR have said that I have exceeded the recommended height and projection lengths using this hitch. These recommended measurements are in the 2004 owners manual, whereas I have the 2005 manual, and it has been deleted from the towing section. I'm open for more discussion on the pros and cons. LR even went on to say I should have my van's tow hitch modified (lowered) to suit the D3. I can't see the physics working on that suggestion. What's your opinions?
 Called the D3 'Lotta' - lotta money, lotta electronics, lotta fun!!  
Post #1270483rd Feb 2007 1:13 pm
catweasel

Re: Towing with a D3

turtle146 wrote:
My local towbar manufacturer has tested several vehicles, and has found that the D3 is extremely unstable (nose light) when used without a WDH, but becomes very stable once it is connected.
My experience is the same as the manufacturer.
why on earth would a towbar manufacturer be testing a D3 when the towbar itself is inbuilt into the chassis with a removeable tow hitch ? with the air suspension, it levels itself and although my camper is 1.6 t the only difference I found was that the acceleration suffered (understandable) and the D3 handled the same as if it weren't there.

turtle146 wrote:
At times the van even started to fishtail, which is very scarry!!
by law you are required to have brakes on the trailer/van over 750kg and you should use an electric brake controller and this would never be an issue.

turtle146 wrote:
Since that trip, LR have said that I have exceeded the recommended height and projection lengths using this hitch. These recommended measurements are in the 2004 owners manual, whereas I have the 2005 manual, and it has been deleted from the towing section.
I have the 05 manual and the dimensions for the hitch are on pg202, that is what they would be reffering to. ASFIK there is no height regarding a trailer and although the manual says that these dimensions must be adhered to it also gives them as recommended measurements. my ball height is similar to yours and I've had no problems with the hitch although my rise is about 85-90mm and I have no concerns about this re. warranty implications. pics in gallery.  
Post #1270693rd Feb 2007 3:42 pm
irobbie

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Turtle146

Just a couple of points.

1. You say that your van was partially loaded with full tanks. What has this done to the balance of the van? In my experience, when I first tested the D3 with full tanks and no other load, but using the HR WD hitch with no bars, the rig was indeed a little twitchy. But when fitted with a custom off the shelf receiver of the correct height and well within LR specs, and loaded evenly, the rig handled just great. Even in extremely strong cross winds! See my other posts previous page. I have NEVER had my van fish tail with the D3.

2. Have you read all through this thread and the others on this site which talk about towing? You'll note that almost to a tee, everyone is really positive about the D3's towing ability.

3. In terms of modifying your tow hitch, RetiredBob mentioned that "To make the van/Disco completely level, I moved the hyland hitch plate from the top of the A frame to the bottom. This gave me the necessary 2cm to make it perfectly level. " Sounds like a simple solution to your height problem.

In conclusion, I think if you get your balance right, your A frame as snug into the back of the Disco as possible by using a hitch well within LR's specs, and you set up your A frame hitch point similar to RetiredBob you may find you have a different experience.

HTH

Regards, Ian. Very Happy
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE HiIce White/Alpaca ARB Bullbar  
Post #1272974th Feb 2007 7:43 am
turtle146

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Thanks Guys for the feedback. I have thought of lowering the towing hitch on the van by having a plate welded under the A frame. This would in fact lower the ball height 170mm (this being the size of the A frame material).
If I knew how to post pictures of my rig on this forum, I would let you see for yourselves what I am talking about.
What I meant with the full tanks etc., was the fact we had 2x60lt water tanks full, but the van wasn't full laden inside as we were only going away for 3 days.
And yes I do have electric brakes and an electric brake controller. I also know from past experience, that if your trailer starts fish-tailing , then the only way to stop it is to go faster until it stops, then slowly reduce speed once under control. The same tactics are used by truck drivers, of which I've done my fair share.
 Called the D3 'Lotta' - lotta money, lotta electronics, lotta fun!!  
Post #1273154th Feb 2007 10:47 am
catweasel

turtle146 wrote:
I also know from past experience, that if your trailer starts fish-tailing , then the only way to stop it is to go faster until it stops, then slowly reduce speed once under control.
use the manual over ride and the fishtailing stops instantly ( the reverse effect of accelerating but far easier to achieve)

also look here and have a read.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic477.html

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic479.html

Post #1273194th Feb 2007 11:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >