Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
mrmarklin

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

I tow a 5000lb+ trailer with no problems. If you are having fishtail problems, it may be a couple of things. If your water tanks are not full, this can cause unnecessary swaying in a trailer because of sloshing. Water is heavy. All holding tanks should be towed full. Also, for any trailer that needs brakes, a sway bar should be in use. Without one, you are only asking for problems in high crosswind situations or at higher speeds.

The LR3 does not need a WDH. I've towed my trailer fully loaded for hundreds of miles, and never experienced a light nose. This may be possible with a WHD, as it could counteract the self leveling aspects of the vehicle.
 '06 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Heavy Duty package, Satellite Radio, Luxury Package  
Post #1275675th Feb 2007 7:08 am
Supercattonk

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

I'm shattered! Just read all the post on towing with D3 with out HR WDH. I have done 44,000km and half of that towing 2 1/2t Jayco complete with wdh etc. Mine is Feb 2005 build with 2004 manual so it dosen't say anything about wdh's. But you would think the dealer would and pointed out that its not a LR recommendation.
I'm currently sitting in Ceduna on way east so will reaccess my options. Must say I have no complaints about the D3 towing ability etc in fact like other posts I reckon its brillant.
 Every dog has his day  
Post #1275775th Feb 2007 8:56 am
stewmair

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Please would people say whether they are talking about Disco SE or S Confused as the conditions of towing are completely different.
Have ordered today for delivery 26/2/07 SE with rear aircon, no difflock, silver and ebony Very Happy . The 07 doesn't ride like the 05 and is great Very Happy Very Happy .
Now the difficulties come up..
The towball for a beautifully level Outback Jayco is at 52 cm. as is on my sadly-soon-to-go Disco1 Big Cry . The towball on the Disco3 SE with the Australian Hayman Reece type towball bar sits at 43 cm...9cm lower. If I fit aftermarket neck to raise the ball 9, or even 7cm does the top handle of the hitch get hit by the lower tailgate?
I have managed well with the Disco1 to add a bracket to the upper tailgate hinge to mount my tunable Amateur radio antenna. Do I have to put a bullbar on the Disco2 or has some clever bunny sorted that one out.
Where can one put the UHF CB, the detachable face is easy, but wot about the radio itself?l
More problems to solve in the next missive.

Post #1276125th Feb 2007 11:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
turtle146

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
stewmair

I have used a detachable face UHF and had the radio fitted professionally. I believe they mounted the radio behind the lower glovebox somewhere. The antenna went on an ARB bullbar. I also know that you can get a Kaymar bar for the rear, with spare wheel carriers, you could mount your antenna on one of those.
By the way people, my D3 is an SE 2006 model TDV6 auto.[/b]
 Called the D3 'Lotta' - lotta money, lotta electronics, lotta fun!!  
Post #1276205th Feb 2007 11:50 am
catweasel

stewmair wrote:
Please would people say whether they are talking about Disco SE or S Confused as the conditions of towing are completely different.
put your mouse over the vehicle under the avatar and you will know what spec they own and therefore talk about  
Post #1276315th Feb 2007 12:11 pm
turtle146

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
catweasel

Thanks for the links for the gallery. I've posted some into my gallery if you wish to see the Atacama Sands colour. It's a washed out green with a gold fleck through it.
 Called the D3 'Lotta' - lotta money, lotta electronics, lotta fun!!  
Post #1276425th Feb 2007 12:45 pm
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks everyone for the enlightenment on towing this is what I wanted to hear. We are in the process of liquidating our assets and plan to purchase a D3 and big van and enjoy life. I had thought that an S would be OK but after reading here have decided that the extra for air suspension or and SE seems to be well warranted.
Nice pictures turtle146 thats our colour of choice but haven't seen one in the flesh as yet so good to get some decent pictures.

Post #2005698th Sep 2007 6:46 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

turtle146
What sort of economy are you getting towing the van in your gallery
cheers

Post #2005718th Sep 2007 7:03 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

catweasel wrote:
stewmair wrote:
put your mouse over the vehicle under the avatar and you will know what spec they own and therefore talk about

I think there is a difference between the U.K. and Aus specs for the S and SE. Here the S has coils and SE air.
In U.K. I think S has air? I could be wrong though.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2005768th Sep 2007 7:42 am
lawrie50

While we are on towing and van setups, can anyone tell me if the standard disco trailer socket/s have the wiring already in for electric brake connection to controller? or do I have to run my own from the front?
Secondly is there a 12V battery connection available on either of the sockets that can be used to power the fridge while driving or do I need to wire this in as well?
What sort of controller are you using? I have been looking at the TEKONSHA PRODIGY on ebay at around $160, any good?

Pick up our D3 in 2 weeks so need to find out these things before we get our van in a month.

Thanks in advance.
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #21446712th Oct 2007 4:53 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Lawrie
I had to run separate wires to the trailer to run the electric brakes etc.
I use the tekonsha and it works ok

Post #21446812th Oct 2007 5:01 am
lawrie50

Thanks norto, looks like I have some wiring to do then.
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #21448712th Oct 2007 8:28 am
catweasel

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post114520.html#114520
I have the prodigy. excellent unit.

Post #21453012th Oct 2007 11:39 am
lawrie50

Thanks for that vote of confidence catweasel
I have one coming from eBay. Now comes the interesting part, connecting it up !!

Thanks for that information from the link, Hopefully the wiring may be done but if not you have given excellent info.
Have you run another 12v feed to the back for your van and if so did you follow the same route mentioned in the brake control pictures??
Post #21624018th Oct 2007 12:47 am
catweasel

the camper runs of its own batteries and is charged via a solar panel when enroute and when set up and I have a Honda generator when it may need topping up. the same route could be used but I do believe others have run much larger cables along the chassis rail. I have not looked into it yet as I do not have a second battery yet.

Post #21627918th Oct 2007 8:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >