DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

stewmair and others, new prototype for hitch see:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post216318.html#216318
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #21631918th Oct 2007 9:46 am
Andycapper

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Was told yesterday at the Melbourne 4WD drive show, by a trailer tent exhibitor quoting from his association's hand book on vehicles, that while the Discovery's rated towing capacity is given as 3500kg braked, that is only ON-ROAD and that off road it is reduced to 1000kg with a maximum draw bar load of 50 KG !

Can anyone comment on this - if true it puts a big hole in the Discovery's off road credibility....particularly given the tendency for trailer manufacturers to work on the (outdated??) rule of draw bar weight being 10% of trailer gross - and some of the draw bar loads mentioned in earlier threads, not to mention the gross weight of many trailers....sounds very odd - and unlikely - to me....but I was shown what this association was quoting so does it have any basis....???
 Have my new year Disco..! Atacama Sand, active diff, active headlights, hi-ice, cooler, sliding loadspace floor, window tint, MP3, Mantec plate, roof rails, mud  
Post #21868827th Oct 2007 2:42 pm
Andycapper

Catweasel said...officially from LR's point of view, that is the rating but it is unofficially crap as many here including myself tow offroad campers without a drama and the LAW states a minimum of 7% of the trailers weight (as a minimum) to be on the ball so not outdated, a requirement which also makes sense.

Hi Cat...thanks for the comment - where does that leave you with respect to insurance and warranty - if you exceeed this LR rating...?

Also read an article recently casting doubt on the validity of the need for such high hitch loads - shall try and find it and post reference for further comment.
 Have my new year Disco..! Atacama Sand, active diff, active headlights, hi-ice, cooler, sliding loadspace floor, window tint, MP3, Mantec plate, roof rails, mud  
Post #21869327th Oct 2007 3:05 pm
Dickie Nee

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Towing

I as many was NOT told by the dealer of the weight issues when towing OFF ROAD.
I told the dealer that I was going to tow a 3,500kg caravan around Australia including OFF ROAD like Gibb River, Cape Leveque. Savanagh Way etc,
Our van has approx 320kg on the draw bar.
The van & HSE has done the job well.
I believe that the ony issues Land Rover have is with their terrible hitch design that is useless for off road and the weight on the draw bar reducing the front wheel weight thus effecting braking pressure. You just have to slow earlier for crossings and Woopsies.
We are going to fit a Mitchell Bros Hitch for our Tregg Hitch and investigate ride levellers??????
Can anyone give me a real (technical) reason why Land Rover dont recommend WDH???
We have found that adjusting tyre pressures has helped with handling. Bitument we use 30psi front and 46psi rear, off road we use 36-38psi rear and 32 front.
Feed back welcomed.

Post #22432215th Nov 2007 12:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

DickieNee - asked for feedback...

I've never heard of anyone running higher tyre pressures when running off-road - "Bitument we use 30psi front and 46psi rear, off road we use 36-38psi rear and 32 front. "

I see you run lower in the rear, but slightly higher in the front?

My normal settings are:
on-road: 38 front/40 rear
off-road: 22/25 front and rear (unladen day trip) ; 28/32 front and rear (touring/towing)

re weight dist hitch and the OE LR hitch - I believe the forces apply a twisting pressure to the LR hitch that can damage it...

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #22433315th Nov 2007 1:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andycapper

Hi Dickie, is that a caravan or a truck you are towing...! One hell of a draw bar load.

I thought I read in another area - possibly Tow bars - that the reason you cannot use load leveller systems without voiding the warranty is that they fight with the LR load levelling air suspension systems... someone else may be able to confirm or correct this belief ?

Regarding alternative tow bars, have you checked out the thread on tow bars ? Would be interested to know more about the system you are proposing to fit - is there any information available about it on line?

What tyres were you using - did you have puncture problems, given the loads and pressures you ran ?
Post #22478116th Nov 2007 12:46 pm
evan

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

My D3 is the base model without the adjustable suspension and I tow a caravan at about 2000kg. I had 2 issues - does the warning on WDH apply to all models inclusing mine and if so how do I get the load level.

I have had numerous discussions, emails and letters (including to the GM) with Landrover and my dealer seeking some definitive advice on WDH.The discussions have been basically circular and they won't even acknowledge I have an issue, much less offer a solution.

Pretty poor I reckon Evil or Very Mad

Post #22546619th Nov 2007 9:39 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Towing

Regarding the use of weight distribution hitches - my vehicle handbook (MY08) specifically states that they should not be used. It's in the section under towing.

Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #22549219th Nov 2007 10:53 am
GC

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Evan

From the little I know about towbar design, bars are designed for a down weight, in our case 350kgs. HR WDHs apply an upward rotational force to the hitch reciever so when HR make towbars they test for these forces. They also have a bolt in the reciever to keep the hitch tight. If I used my HR reciever and WDH on my disco it is so loose that I would think it would eventually break the reciever from the up and down motion you get on undulating roads (my ball weight abt 280kg van 2600).

My thought for what it is worth is if you want to use a HR WHD get the HR towbar. Still does not help me with the air suspension.

Post #22549419th Nov 2007 10:57 am
caverD3

The engineer says that the Mitchell bros hitch can take the forces from a WDH.
If LR have a problem with the hitch taking the loads then new hitch (mitchell bros or HR) will solve the problem. If it has to do with the air suspection it won't.
Has anyone actually towed with one?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #22573619th Nov 2007 10:22 pm
bobk

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Engine Braking When Towing

Thought I would take the opportunity of seeking some advice. I currently own a 3 litre Nissan Partol which I am looking to replace next year. I am seriously considering the d3 diesel and have been following all of the threads related to towing with great interest. You have all put most of my concerns to rest with one exception. Can you give me some insight into the amount of engine braking you experience with the auto transmission? I have always had manual transmissions and would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for a most informative forum.
Cheers,
bobk
 bobk  
Post #22670322nd Nov 2007 11:38 am
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

We tow up to 2500kg's (braked) with our SE TDV6 and the six speed auto is superb; I use engine braking a bit (sensational tiptronic gearbox) and never had an issue. Its a great car - even better with the recalibrated ECU (adds around 30kw and 100nm).
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #22698223rd Nov 2007 7:51 am
bobk

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Towing

thanks blackperth it all sounds good. can you tell me a bit more about the ECU recalibration?? I have a "pbox" by Stienbauer installed on the patrol so I am assuming it is something similar.

thanks for the help
 bobk  
Post #22699123rd Nov 2007 8:43 am
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Yes, there are lots that suit the Disco - this is a UK software (known as Turbochip).
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #22699323rd Nov 2007 8:47 am
caverD3

Not box like the Patrol. They actually re-map the engine by recalebrating the software.
Better result than a bolt on box.
I want it done on mine..............but cant justify the cost Big Cry ........................

yet. Whistle
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #22699723rd Nov 2007 9:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >